Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see some sheet metal shaping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhnarial, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

That's impressive! I made a panel for a floor on the bead roller, having never done such a thing before (of coarse not knowing anything about pre-stretching)... well the third one turned out actually usable (after much work to get it flat!)

MP&C likes this.
  2. MP&C

MP&C

On the beading dies from the other night I wasn't too pleased with the shape, IMO they were too rounded. Especially for where this will be used, it needs to better match the rest of the car. So another upper die was made using a more blunt end tip with a slight ramp.

[​IMG]

The lower die was relieved to better accommodate tighter corners...

[​IMG]

Comparing the two dies....

[​IMG]

Looking at the center two sample beads, the one toward the left shows a flatter bead using the new die..

[​IMG]

And on the Wheeling Machine front, I've been contemplating a storage drawer for under the base, but have struggled to find a good slide track to hold it.. Until yesterday, the guys at Dyna Rep Company came through for me, a 6" long full extension slide, in stock! Thanks Brad!

[​IMG]

These will be mounted between the mounting legs coming in from the side, drawer deep enough to hold all the extra lower anvils and hopefully the goKart slick...

[​IMG]

TFoch, slack, wraymen and 1 other person like this.
  3. MP&C

MP&C

Here's a quick video to show how the radius for the filler panel was done..

With the flanges turned both directions....

[​IMG]

Looking at the rear of the fender that was adjacent to the cab, we found flat areas that seem to indicate some rubbing was occurring. So while we were fabricating the filler panel, we added about 1/8" to shove the fender outward away from the cab.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JOYFLEA and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Just watched your wheeling video, and finally understand how you get things done so quickly. You must be mainlining Redbull?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  5. MP&C

MP&C

6. loudbang

loudbang

Whoa strange weird angle on the shot of the Dew. Start showing the top of the pile then scroll down quickly then scroll back up. One of those weird effects that the pile shrinks as you get to the bottom of the photo the bottom of the pile looks smaller and farther away than the top.

Hey you could put up a sign on the front lawn and invite suckers in to see your weird house museum.

7. LBCD

LBCD

First of all let me say that there are so many talented guys on here...I am a little hesitant to call this actual shaping but here goes...I need new trunk panels...Been doing general metal work for years and it pays the bills...but now and then I need to fab a piece or two for my 41.
    Used the crimping dies on the pexto that we use for AC collars and it did the trick...when the 6061 is wrapped in vinyl it won't be seen.... aluminum should last alot longer then cardboard...I also need to seal the belt line trim holes with silcone ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Here is a recent pic of the rear section of my champ car body I'm building.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    bct, lothiandon1940, MP&C and 3 others like this.
  9. MP&C

MP&C

I would think the weird tour guide would scare them away! :D

Here's a recess detail added on a cowl opening repair panel, made to replace this.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  10. MP&C

MP&C

Some more work on the Biederman fenders..

A paper pattern was taken from the front of the fender to use as a guide to cut out the new piece from 16 ga cold rolled steel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some 19 gauge was hemmed flat and the Erco kick shrinker used to make profile templates for the horizontal and vertical directions..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The initial shape was added with a blocking hammer and shot bag, and finished on the Wheeling Machine..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting close....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This video shows the progress so far, as well as the rust on the leading edge we're repairing..

11. MP&C

MP&C

More 16 gauge metalshaping, filler panel no. 2 is complete..

Fender patch is getting closer...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    lothiandon1940 and 1952B3b23 like this.
  12. That is amazing work I really like the hammer forming Thank so much for posting it definitely is an inspiration to my build. Hobo Jim

13. MP&C

MP&C

Final tweaks ..... clamped and marked with a scribe..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trimming out the rust...

[​IMG]

14 ga rated Milwaukee shear walks right through...

[​IMG]

Trimming around the wired edging, careful not to nick it. The wrapped sheet metal is opened slightly using the door skin pliers..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the sheet metal loosened from the wire, a slight twist will break the sheet metal at the score even not having cut through to the wire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This outer section will become a template for the radius on the new patch.

[​IMG]

Trimmed....

[​IMG]

Fitted....

[​IMG]

Saturday Kyle will get the old metal media blasted next to the weld seam so we can fire up the TIG welder..

14. MP&C

MP&C

Thanks Steve!

Time to break out the TIG welder. The new stumps for the upcoming metalshaping class work well as a welding table. The patch is securely clamped from inside to outside to get an accurate marking for tipping the fold around the wire.

[​IMG]

Flexible Spline is used to carry the opening mark down the patch...

[​IMG]

Tacked in with the TIG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we'll wrap the wire and trim the front edge to size.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Great work this going to be amazing when and where are your metal shaping classes?

16. MP&C

MP&C

Peter Tommasini is coming to the shop for a class in November, but we're full. Mike Phillips may have a couple slots open in his class the following week, he's in Downingtown PA. (Phillips Auto Repair) Look on metalmeet or allmetalshaping for contact info..

loudbang likes this.
  17. oj

oj

Thats incredible work with 16ga steel, I couldn't imagine trying to wire edge it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. oj

oj

We had to make an inner fenderwell for a project. The first 2 pics show the rough cut filler strips cleco'd tight to the existing inner wheelwell. It took 2pcs to span the distance, we welded them near the top, it is about 5'. The numbers are where we plotted the distance over to the fender. We also replace sheet metal in front of and behind the wheel opening, you can see the new metal. DSC00414.JPG DSC00415.JPG

Then we made a new lip to mate to the existing fender lip

loudbang, lothiandon1940 and MP&C like this.
  19. oj

oj

Crap, pushed the wrong button.
    Anyway, the first pic is Brendan trial fitting a piece of the new inner fender lip. The lip has to fit exactly to the existing so we can get a watertite fit. It took 2pcs welded together. It is a complicated little piece of work as it has to angle away from the body and 'tip in' at the top as seen in the 3rd pic. DSC00411.JPG DSC00425.JPG DSC00420.JPG

loudbang, Dino64, MP&C and 1 other person like this.
  20. oj

oj

Then we mocked the assembly up in the wheelwell with cleco's and clamps to tack together to filler strip and the fender lip. We added a temp strap at the top to keep everything in alignment and pulled it back out. DSC00432.JPG

loudbang, Dino64 and MP&C like this.
  21. oj

oj

Damn, pushed the wrong buttons again. DSC00427.JPG

Now we have the inner fender shape and need to fill in the blank areas
    DSC00434.JPG
    It took 2 large pieces to fill in the gaps with small pieces added at each end. This is the topside of the inner fenderwell so we really didn't bother to metalfinsh it.
    DSC00451.JPG

Then we protect it by applying a coat of 'ospho', let it cure for 24hrs and reactivate it with a fresh coat and neutralize it by washing it with wet rag and applying a coat of etching primer. And there you have it. DSC00452.JPG DSC00453.JPG

22. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Way to go, OJ! looking good, glad to see you're making progress on it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

oj likes this.

23. It's an incredible amount of work that goes on behind the scenes, under fenders, inside doors, and any other place that will never be seen by onlookers. All that stuff needs to be right

oj likes this.
  24. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

one of the current metal shaping projects going on in the shop. (copied it from the build thread)

the quarter panels are a little rough at the bottoms and around the wheel wells. we also wanted to raise the wheel well 1" for clearance with the large tires. So with that said there wasnt much of a choice except to make new quarters. so here is the process so far

after all the patterning the major shaping of the panel took place. here is the cleaned up bare quarter cleco'd in place

[​IMG]

then i had to make a die set to do the lower half of the center body line/ belt line. after the die said was made and tested. the belt line was hammered into the top of the panel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then moving onto the wheel well bead. this was a challenge to lay out. had to raise just the center of the wheel well, then blend that arc into rest of the stock radius of the wheel well, all while keeping it round and smooth. so after that was determined and laid out, i had to make a guide fence for the dies to ride on to put the bead in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after the fence was done, and a hand full of dry runs on setting the wheel well bead. it was a go and hammered in the wheel well bead

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then had to turn the edge of wheel well bead to turn under to meet the wheel well. used the power hammer and a tipping die set i made to do this. here is the panel with the old quarter removed, and the new one cleco'd in place. still some tuning to do on the wheel well tipped edge, and turn the edge for the door jamb. but starting to look like something. hope to make the wheel well tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MP&C, oj, toreadorxlt and 6 others like this.
  25. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

That is amazing! Great job!

26. YJ4000

YJ4000

Yep amazing!! I really enjoy seeing you work.

Ryan.

27. MP&C

MP&C

Beautiful work Mike!

Latest in our attempts at new 55 wagon wheel wells...

28. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree!!!

29. loudbang

loudbang

Dam that is some fine metal work.