Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Cadillac sedanette has not run since 1963

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tookis, Jul 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tookis

tookis

Just an update. Today I bought everything to start the Magical Mystery Oil and 2 turn it over by hand. When I checked the oil it was actually still good but had some black dirty particles in it comma overall I am happy to see that it's not slushy or solidified. Even though this is a good sign I am still going to be cautious and take everyone's advice this doesn't mean that the engine is not stuck or there might be another problem but I'm very happy to see the oil in a good state. It kind of defies explanation that the oil would last 53 years so I'm going to call the previous owner and ask him if he added any oil

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Oil usually looks good in an engine that has sat a long time. The dirt and water settles out and the oil looks like new.

tookis likes this.
  3. tookis

tookis

Haha ok Thanks Rusty. Damn thought I got lucky but what you said makes a lot of sense

4. BJR

BJR

Take the pan off, all the goop will be in the bottom with the clean oil on the top of it.

tookis likes this.
  5. tookis

tookis

Yes I will be dropping the pan prior to MMO and turning it over and letting it soak in for a week or so. Thanks BJR. Oh and removing head covers to get at valve springs

6. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

You saw my Pic. Others are confirming my pics and comments. Don't get in a hurry and you'll have a good engine when it comes time to drive it.

tookis likes this.
  7. I drained the oil out of a long-sitting engine years ago... the water comes out first.

8. Dodger Vern

Dodger Vern

I would buy the parts car One can never have enough parts .

tookis likes this.
  9. tookis

tookis

There is a lot of old oil in the air filter, is that normal?

10. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Tookis - I'm pretty sure that that car should have an oil bath air cleaner, so yes, it's perfectly normal. It's oil bath vs. paper element as in today's cars. There should be a screen in the filter, and a marking for the oil level somewhere on the side.

Chris

tookis likes this.
  11. tookis

tookis

Thanks Chris. I have had other cars from the thirties with oil bath filters but I have never had one so soaked with oil

12. tookis

tookis

Drained oil Saturday, came out black as midnight but it flowed like wine. Shot mmo into each spark plug hole and poured the rest into the engine along with 3 1/2 gallons of oil to loosen her up. I am waiting to turn it until Tuesday or Wednesday. I did not pull off valve covers and soak lifters and springs yet. Every nut and bolt I turn is easy and virtually effortless.

13. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Do you still intend to pull and clean the pan before fire up? You really need to do that.

tookis likes this.
  14. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Wish I could find one of those, one of my bucket list cars!

tookis likes this.
  15. tookis

tookis

Absolutely I will drop pan and clean it too after it soaks a while. But I am I little conserned that it doesn't turn freely, I am going to try tomorrow to turn it with the fan off.

16. tookis

tookis

Hello everyone.

I might need some help here I have been trying to turn the engine with the center nut on the bottom pulley. I have tried both ways clockwise and counterclockwise. I did it a couple of times last week unsuccessfully. If I move it counterclockwise the bolt listens and it comes out of the center. Should I try it another way?

17. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

You can take the starter off and use a pry bar on the flywheel teeth to rock it over. I have drilled a hole in in the flywheel housing and used a pry bar on the ring gear to brake them loose you get a lot of leverage this way, and just put a rubber plug in it. Just don't drill into the torque converter.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    tookis likes this.
  18. john walker

john walker

Just remove the lower bellhousing section and you can access the flywheel teeth easily.

19. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

That will work too, some have a small inspection hole.your Mopar and Fords don't.The small hole gives you a tremendous amount of leverage.

20. That's what HE said....

tookis likes this.
  21. tookis

tookis

Thanks for the advice guys. I will pull the starter and try it from the fly wheel when I get the chance.