Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 300 six in 39 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by woodscaper, Aug 22, 2016.

1. woodscaper

woodscaper

Looking for info about putting a Ford 300 six cyl in a 39 ford fordor. I have searched and could not find very much info about such a swap. Has anybody done it, or is the 300 too long to be a practical swap? Thanks!

2. Here is a shot of a plastic model with a chevy 6, looks like they modified the firewall to make it fit. That should work for the 300 Ford 6 in a real car to do that as well. Start at the radiator and work back.

IMG_1213.jpg

3. I wouldn't be taking a plastic kit as full size evidence. People have enough grief with SBF's, let alone a big I6. Apart from that, break out the tape measure and start measuring.

4. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

That's a 300 in my model T in my avatar. Here are some dimensions that may help. Horizontal- Its 37" from the front of the water pump pulley to the bell-housing face. Vertically- Its 22" from the bottom of the oilpan to the top of the valve cover. If mated to a C4 the combo is roughly 63" long.

5. woodscaper

woodscaper

I have measured it and I know I will have to get into the firewall, was hoping somebody had done it here. Looking to hook it up to a T5. Engine is coming from a 94 F150 I have, frame is rotted out and auto trans is shot, engine is good though, love that 300! Are there any water pump options or anything to make the thing shorter? Maybe going with a electric fan too. Thanks!

6. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Screw the T5. Find an M5R2 out of a mid 90's F150 and use that. Direct bolt up to the 300, better shifter location, and arguably better gear ratios. Otherwise, that would be a rare engine / car combo, but who knows, maybe someone has done one and will post pictures. Dressed up, with a split manifold, nice valve cover, and multiple carbs it would look good and drive nicely.

Bearcat_V8 likes this.
  7. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Lot of work and difficult to sell when you are finished. The fact that you can't find anyone that has done it may be the first indication that it is not a real good idea.

Charlie Stephens

IronFord, Fortunateson, czuch and 5 others like this.
  8. Actually, hot rods are all about doing what you "shouldn't".........at least to me anyway. Much more fun. Who wants a car exactly like everybody else's?
    I say go for it if that's what you want!

9. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The Ford 300 six is a great engine, but I agree with Charlie Stephens.

czuch, X38 and F&J like this.
  10. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I've got a Ford 300 in my T-Bucket....mated to a C4...runs great, and always a conversation around it. Go with your own unique vision, and what you like, and heck, who wants to be like everyone else?... put the engine in if you got a great engine and you like it. That said, if you want to sell it later to make a "work-equal-profit" margin, and that's the main intention, then ya' might want the 'usual' V8 setup....I like the 'out of the box' power-plants myself, with a different attitude to them....a nicely dressed up, strong 300, is a great engine to have in my opinion.;)

11. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

IMO a 300 block is probably better in more of a free form build where you can move the body or fab the frame, like in @Raiman1959's bucket. I was originally going to run one in a Model A frame with a cut down T touring behind it before I went to a flathead. The 300 is indeed LONG and I'm pretty sure longer than a Chevy 250, but you may be able to do it without cutting, but measure twice!

If you decide to go this route, I've got one with the Offy intake & an older Holley that it doesn't look like I'm going to ever use at this point. I'm a bit North & East of you though.

12. You have an entirely different vehicle with a lot more flexibility. I can get behind what you are doing.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    F&J likes this.
  13. ...I think it''s a great idea and will make a cool ride;...I'd do it now just cuz these guys say it's a bad idea.. I'd stay away from any elec. fan tho, just cuz,...a friend put a chevy strate six in a short model A truck and it was cool as heck, just notched the firewall in the middle.
    I vote you carry on, we've seen enuf of these with SBC & Ford v8's, go with the 300.
    If you're buildin to sell, then just go SBC, auto.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

go for it ,i put an inlins chevy 6 in my T Bucket 20160729_203524.jpg

15. A T bucket is a completely irrelevant example.:rolleyes:

16. F&J

F&J

On that car model, Yes it's too long.

You will have to set it back too far. The firewall will be cut up badly to get full access to the valve cover, your bell and trans will also be too far back, so all gas pedal room is gone for "3 pedals", and the center portion of the X frame will need to be obliterated.

falcongeorge and X38 like this.
  17. I like 'obliterated.'

iwanaflattie likes this.
  18. F&J

F&J

Kinda like the News Media...adding some dramatic expression for shock-and-awe value? :)

What else can you call these mods on an unfriendly size donor setup. I've seen SBF swaps destroy a 40 firewall just to stay "ford in a ford", but we've all seen 40 firewalls cut hard for the puny SBC if the builder did not bother to use the 60s short pump setup...

I do stretch every buck I can, using what I have for free, but you need to weigh the total "cost"...in this case eliminating footroom and unfriendly destruction.

The most fun early type swap I ever did was an early Olds 303 into a 40 w/stock trans and rear. Now I know why they were once the cats azz for swaps. And I hear the early Cad is even better due to starter location, vs the Olds. Lots of fun, and still no cutting of the firewall, or loss of gas pedal room.

Certainly not any good for todays 80mph slow lane on the expressway, but still a good town cruiser.

volvobrynk and Rich Wright like this.
  19. F&J

F&J

Other things that can cause more setback is the Ford cross steer link hitting the front of a rear sump pan. Also, I'd be looking at the 300 front damper/crank pulley, to see if it will have issues at the front crossmember.
    In other words; I doubt you can try to move the radiator forward to reduce the firewall setback.

20. woodscaper

woodscaper

Obliterated, LOL - I was kinda thinking that would be the consensus when I was doing some measuring, didn't really like what I saw. Figured there had to be a reason I couldn't find anything about this swap on the HAMB or fordsix, but I thought it was worth a shot to ask the experts. I like doing things differently, but I am not a fan of putting 10 lb in a 5 lb bag. Gets messy! Will have to go a different direction I think, objective is to upgrade the drive line so it can be a reliable daily driver, or if I want to take a trip somewhere. Will not be a sbc, will find something around here. I think I will pull the six out of the F150 (it was a good truck) and anything else worth saving, put it aside and scrap the rest. Thanks!

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. sunbeam

sunbeam

A 300 is about 6" longer than a flathead.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

If there were two identical cars at a car show only one had a small block chevy and the other an inline six, I would spend more time checking out the six. Just sayin'.

Roger Loupias, dmar836, RmK57 and 4 others like this.
  23. flatout51

flatout51

I've been considering a 300 6 in my 46 ford. Do it if you want! Make sure you are happy and don't worry about resale value.

Sent from my SM-N900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Raiman1959 likes this.
  24. woodscaper

woodscaper

Not worried about resale value, that will be somebody else's problem! LOL. This is my (retirement coming in a few years) transportation of choice. Going to pull the 300 anyway to scrap the truck, and will see what it actually would take to do it. Might be surprised, won't cost anything but time. I want to do it, love that engine, but don't want to create too many problems.

25. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

See how far you can push the radiator forward too.

26. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

The thought occurred to me this morning, that a 39 is a bit more snug in the bay than a 41-48 if I'm not mistaken.

27. flatout51

flatout51

I'm sure it is more snug. But doesn't mean it can't be done.

Sent from my SM-N900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

You should have tons of room in front of the rad behind the grill. Move the rad forward.

The 300 is only about an inch longer than an 80's 302. I have swapped them back and forth in a couple of trucks. I had one in a half ton short box with a header, cam, Offy intake and a four barrel that would destroy 5.0 mustangs stop light to stop light. Good fun.