Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

My i-Phone has a stuttering problem........

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    slv63 likes this.
  2. He sure does hand delivered right to the motor. Thank cyclone.

3. image.jpg Got the cam back from Pete. So happy he was able to rush it for me. Now off to the machine shop to finish up the machining. Then I can put it together and get this show on the road... Btw it's a potvin 3/8s and it's insane. Pete is a master grinder, plus he's a hamb member. Thanks dale.

4. AULIZ

AULIZ

Potvin 3/8 = I liked that cam. good torque and sound. I had that cam in my 32 roadster (olive green).

Now I have Howard 363 in my cab and I can say that it´s very good choise to 221cid engine (hi compression) and what a sound !! I get goosebumps.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Quick Bruce someone just listed a OG grill shell and insert in the classifieds it matches your car perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

paintslinger805 and volvobrynk like this.
  6. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

That cam looks like a piece of jewelry. Potvin 3/8 is bad ass. Can't wait till you post a video.

Runnin shine and paintslinger805 like this.
  7. Yea it should sound great. I will post a video of it running when it's done. I got some work to do on the intake and I still need 2 stromberg 48 carbs. I have do some major porting on the intake. I also have to cc the heads and a few other tricks to get the magic numbers for this bat out of hell motor....

8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Look at this baby! It's just like your body and a hell of a lot better than the $1,200 plus crap, or maybe now they're $1,500 this week?
    [​IMG]
    You could always run it than sell it when you go to paint and use your nice one, but it be a shame to fill and peak another good original.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. I looked at that one but it's alittle too beat up for me. It looks twisted and bent up too bad. I would like to trade my nice one for a nice one that just looks right but not a beat up one. When I do paint it I don't want to start over looking for another nice one. Funds are low and motors top of the list for me. I still need carbs, water pumps, 32 starter switch for the floor a 32 fan. So I still have important money to spend. Plus a set of tires. And a machine shop bill. Lol I'm shooting for engine start up by sep.15 that gives me one month to get her bugs out. Then trog party time.

10. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DAMN CHEAPSKATES. I hate both of ya ! LOL.

11. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like a breath of fresh air. I would like to find one for the roadster.

12. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well stated, Bruce. WELL STATED ! !

13. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am happy when "quality" repro parts hit the market. It sometimes "nullifies" these hoarders of car parts. Good riddance !

14. Thanks Gary,

I can't wait to meet you in person. I feel you are one who gets what I'm doing and back me with the moves I make. Once this motor comes roaring to life it's game over and grandpa is going to just be thrilled. I can't wait to see that 1947 smile on his face. Next el mirage is sep.11 and I'm counting down the days to see his youth come alive once again. It's cool to me to hear how they use to drive in from the north west side and how they did it back then. I wish there was a meet once a year where it was only old style cars like back in the 30s and 40s. My grandpa would be just head over heels if all the cars were just like back then and that's why I think he is going to freak out at trog. Every car there will be from his racing time. So I know he will stand there and just go straight back in time. All cars there era correct to his youth. Wow I can't even dream of that day but it's only 2 months away. So I'm hustling to get this roadster done so we can cruze around at trog 2016. Grandpa will be the highlight of the event to me. Might even be the only one that really ran the dry lakes there back in the 40s. History I say......................:

graveyardsledder and Egor like this.
  15. image.jpg Well there is a 32 roadster for sale on the hamb classifieds with the same dash as I got and a Cadillac flatty with super rare cyclone heads. Looks like I'm not the only one with a cool ass rare dash.

16. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Bruce,
    You must mean something like this...
    Elmer-age was intense that Sunday. He was tossed back in time and became connected listening to those engines, those shifts and the overall sound of the car flat out.
    I think you my friend have succeeded finding the fountain of youth that so many have sought for their loved ones. That ride he and I took was pretty dang special for the both of us. He was this teenager behind the wheel of a 32.!
    That means the world to me to be able to transport someone back in time if only for a moment and give them something to keep in their memory.
    You just wait and see how he is when he's listening to engine fire up for the 1st time. 70 years will be shaved right off (that's a pretty dang good razor you have there!)
    So be prepared as you both get to fulfill a dream that you've had for several years and one that he's probably held inside for decades.
    And very TRUE, Gary does get you as he's been there himself.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Bruce & Kevin,
    Sounds like you guys have been working hard while I was out playing on the salt. Looking good guys, so keep it going.

paintslinger805 and volvobrynk like this.
  18. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks Dennis,
    Was looking for pix of you on the salt. Did you take any, I hope so.
    I heard the salt was "loose".
    The steering is in, and Bruce has some Kool speed equip.
    Yup, we've been working;).

19. CK, Lot's of photos of the coupe on the HAMB at the salt and I have a lot my self, but not smart enough to post them on here. Pop me your email by PM and I will send you one you will like. Then you can put it on here.
    Dennis

20. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

Speechless! Where do I start?! Just finished reading all 36 pages in the last 24 hours! I'm sad to get to the end actually lol! Luckily it's not the end. I'm so stoked for you paintslinger and grandpa! My grandpa died in '67 and I was born in '78, but my dad and his bro turned to hotrods (dad had a '64 merc comet cyclone ) to stay out of trouble, they biked down to the old Irwindale strip to watch races.
    Anyway I think I can understand the connection you have with your gpa! What a blessing you've been given, and you have this forum to record it! Thank you for allowing us to be a part of it!
    I wish I had parts or money to donate!
    Subscribed! Hypersonic!!!!!!

21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually watching you and Cyclone thrash on your rides takes me back to when I first built my first ride, a '34 Ford 2-dr. And having photos and comments to accompany your builds is icing on the cake. It's as if all us readers are turning wrenches with you two. Hell, I even bought a large can of Go-Jo to clean my hands after reading a post. LOL. I'll be making a shake-down run to the Deuce Reunion in Sept. to prepare the roadster for the trip to TROG. Man, even at 69, I feel like a kid in a freaking candy store. Too bad I didn't meet you West coast cats on our first trip, in '81. We are so excited and can hardly wait for the trip. I noticed I was standing in the same spots as your Grandad last May. That was fun, but the TROG will be above board. I am actually going to have a phone that takes good pics, and those will help make up my "rocking-chair memories" for down the road. Take care and see y'all in Oct. Gary

22. Dropped phone in water won't take pictures anymore sooooooo..... It's coming along just great I tell ya. Just working on the headlight bar and the wiring of the car. That way when motor is done it will be ready to go. Still need a 32 fan if anyone wants to help out. Got 3 super nice 48 carbs coming so I'm also porting the intake at nights when it's cold and dark and lonely. Made a wood floor too. Yeee haaah

23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Great progress my friend!!!! Get that camera back online soon...Gotta see the eye candy for inspiration.

volvobrynk and hechtspeed like this.
  24. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Throw the phone in a sealed plastic bag full of rice and leave it in there for a few days.. Hopefully the rice will absorb the water in your phone and your phone will come good.

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. image.jpg Looks like the camera works again. Stay tuned in, I will be taking more car pics. Over the next few days to show off some things. I hope this stupid phone don't mess up again from the water.

26. Well maybe not. That sures not the hotrod. Don't know how that happens.

27. HaHa! I just killed my phone last week, the same way! I drowned that sucker! All the rice in china wouldn't have dried out that sucker. Thank goodness for the insurance on it.

28. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

29. WOW! Is this what I am to bunk with????

30. Dennis I would let you sleep in the roadster before I put ya out in the dirt with my EL GO TAYS.

Egor and volvobrynk like this.