Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical V belts with the notches on the outside?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Aug 23, 2016.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Or am I dreaming? Thought I had seen some fancy looking V-belts with stripes or notches on the outside. Maybe just to let you know it is turning?

[​IMG]

2. Nope, you were not dreaming. Gates makes them I believe that they are called gator backs. it has to do with flex and they actually get a better bite then a common belt.

3. town sedan

town sedan

Dayco makes what they call the Top Cog V-Belt. They claim the belt is more flexible & runs cooler for longer life. At least that's what they say.
    -Dave

4. F&J

F&J

Dayco top cog was the only belt to use on a higher mile 80s GM with big alternator and still a single V-belt. The alt pulley gets worn from the big amps, and would slip a bit, and make you think the alt was weak.

It was actually slipping just enough to have volts read a bit low, but no squeal. The top cog would fix it, without a new pulley

5. Canuck

Canuck

Dayco belts on the Buick in my Model A. The hard part is trying to keep all the Cogs lined up. :rolleyes:
    3 16th set back.jpg

Belts ordered as a matched set with the same lot number to insure they are the same length.

Canuck

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks guys! Now all I have to do is find a crossover for a 5L50, not having much luck.

7. llonning

llonning

A 5L50 would be a fractional horse power belt, possibly an industrial. I have never seen those with the cogs, inside or out. There are some specific application belts out there like that, (John Deere comes to mind). Those are quite a bit longer than 50 inches though.

Len

8. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Earlier this year my auto parts store sold me a couple for my riding lawnmower. They actually lasted about 4 or 5 minutes each before breaking. Got no strength under load at all. Wen to another store & got some of the thicker solid ones and they have held up for months.

Good luck with that mess. Jimmie

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

It's for a flathead Ford, and that's what is on it. Could it be the wrong application?

10. llonning

llonning

New
    It's for a flathead Ford, and that's what is on it. Could it be the wrong application?

A lot of the earlier auto/truck applications used a very wide belt compared to later applications. it might be you will have to go to a belt specialty company. the tip off on a FHP belt in this case was the "L". The design is different than an auto style belt because of the load on it. Believe it or not an FHP application will rip an auto belt apart rather quickly. The reverse is also true.

With a flathead the HP is not there as with the newer engines so it might work just fine.
    Also you are probably not going to run high RPM's which will help with belt life.

It has also been many years since I was in automotive, I now work on small engines for a living.
    Len

11. I have a Dayco top-cog belt on my Ford, if you go to their site you can look up everything for your car with a simple search, spits out everything they have for that car.

Did a search with your 5L50, came up with a 5L500 which is 50" x .66" wide.

12. 1pickup

1pickup

Fractional horsepower should be just right for a flathead.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Sure enough. Looks like they make one for the early flatheads. .69 wide, 32 degree angle. I need a different length for my setup but I'm on the hunt. Thanks!

http://www.daycoproducts.com/parts?...ake=6&modeltype=3&model=895&description=20344

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

They don't seen to turn inside out as readily @7k either. Falcongeorge gives them a thumbs up!:D