Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Hillbilly Hauler 61

Hillbilly Hauler 61

I am new to this forum and have found this very helpful. I plan to buy a 56 savoy 4dr rollin body in a couple of weeks. The guy i work with is holding it for me. Here are a few pics as it sets on a farm. I plan to put in a 78 rv 318 eng and trans. Supposedly all parts are there except engine and trans. DSC05668.JPG DSC05664.JPG DSC05666.JPG DSC05667.JPG

2. Old Ray

Old Ray

That is a very nice old girl, ..................thanks for posting the pictures.

Good luck with the project. :)

3. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Plan on changing the rear end also. You will find out about some really weird U-Joints if you don't. Also you will get rid of those dual cylinder rear breaks. Trust me on this and make your job a lot easier. And if you are going to lower it go to 14" wheels, chip one coil from the front and 2" blocks in the rear. Works just right ...

4. Hillbilly Hauler 61

Hillbilly Hauler 61

Thanks!!!
    Thanks for all the good advice, The guy who owned the car before has a disk conversion i plan to get for the front. Hopefully i will be getting a 78 rv with a 318 2bl 727 i think 60,000 miles. it has a leaky roof so hes disgusted and said he would sale for $200. theres alot of parts i can use there.

5. Hillbilly Hauler 61

Hillbilly Hauler 61

Thanks!!

6. Hillbilly Hauler 61

Hillbilly Hauler 61

Ok, got the rv home it has a 318 with 37,o 000 miles i think it has a 727 i plan to strip out the wiring and the speedometer as it will work with the tranny, also plan to use the master cylnder and booster.

Attached Files:

7. t-rod

t-rod

8. Hillbilly Hauler 61

Hillbilly Hauler 61

I have been working on placing a 318 and a 727 auto in my savoy. Does anyone have a good pic of their engine mounts and trans mount? I am thinking it may be really close to the drag link i have the engine almost in and i have removed the top of the trans tunnel so far. Any advice/help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

9. George

George

On my '60 Plym I used the drop down loop with the horizontal tube type tranny mount (truck?) and modified the OEM tranny crossover to where there would be a verticle steel plate @ each end of the tube. Then drilled the plates for a long bolt through the tube.

10. Powerflite

Powerflite

You shouldn't have to cut the floor at all. You just need to use the proper oil pan with a front sump on it. The front sump oil pan should fit right where the original poly motor oil pan was.

Hillbilly Hauler 61 likes this.
  11. George

George

Floor was probably for tranny clearance, though it shouldn't have been necessary.

12. Hillbilly Hauler 61

Hillbilly Hauler 61

sadly this savoy had its 277 sold before i got the body so i did not know of the front sump oil pan that seems right as the drag link looked like it was gona hit the rear sump pan so thanks alot on that. I will search summit/jegs for a front sump pan. I also understand about the trans mount but what engine mounts do you guys use? I have an old friend that has some health issues but said maybe he could fab some up if and when he feels good enough to visit. If i had a good picture of the application i could prob copy myself, You guys are great thanks so far.

13. GaryS

GaryS

I have '66 engine with 727 that is going in my '56, and the stock '66 pan fits fine. I changed the motor mounts to the spool style. The transmission mount is in a different location, so I made my own using the '66 bracket on a custom crossmember. The engine has been fit checked in place, but without the transmission. If interested, you can see pictures in my blog: http://56plymouth.blogspot.com/

Old Ray likes this.
  14. Hillbilly Hauler 61

Hillbilly Hauler 61

Thanks alot very good pics and even better writing. I will be visiting this page often. Great writing and great info. Thanks again!!!

15. Old Ray

Old Ray

Garry, thanks for posting your blog info, great stuff and of much assistance with my project. :)

I sent you a private message (I think).

16. blazin6969

blazin6969
    from NePa

Hey guys got a savoy I am going to be parting out soon. I'm taking the drive train. And crushing the car in a few weeks.
    Moldings look good they were taken off and placed inside the car.
    Let me know if anyone needs anything.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

stillrunners likes this.
  17. renee stampone

renee stampone

Hi guys! Hopefully you can help a gal out, does any one have the 55 dodge shop manual? I am going to order one (they go for 45.00 to 95.00!) I just need the page for the gas gauge and sending unit. Have a great day!

Sent from my SM-N920V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    aguynamedcj likes this.
  18. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This 55 has been on the Quad Cities c*list for months, cheap!
    , 55 plymouth wagon.jpg

19. aguynamedcj

aguynamedcj

Have one at the house in TX. PM me and I'll see if the ol' lady can scan the right pages. Whats the question, though?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. aguynamedcj

aguynamedcj

What's the story on this girl? Can't find the Cl ad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. aguynamedcj

aguynamedcj

22. ok guys you can get jealous now....

Attached Files:

23. little hint....

Attached Files:

24. gonmad

gonmad

Update on my buddies 55, he did the roof!
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

25. gonmad now we're talking, congrats to your buddy!

26. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

===============

Some 50s Dodge and Plymouth manuals here -
    http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

regards,

Dan T

27. took two evenings to clear out the boxes of parts from the inside and the trunk.....damn if I didn't find my old train set....last worked the floors into it back in 1998 the year my mom pasted - had it stored over at her/our house...

Attached Files:

28. funny every window but the windshield was busted out and before I could get the guy to sell it - his ex son-in law set his field full of cars on fire....part of the bottom patinia you see is paint burn....is no one getting excited ?

Attached Files:

29. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

Always great to see some one save one. Looks like you have your work cut out for you but much worse ones have been resurrected. Keep us posted.

30. thunderplex

thunderplex

Take digital pics of the pages. Scanning is digital. Digital is digital, just be sure you use as many pixels as possible for reading.

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app