Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 292 FUEL ISSUE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ADKTP, Aug 21, 2016.

1. ADKTP

ADKTP

Am working on restoring a 1964 C10 that I purchased from my father in law. Pickup has run perfect until the last couple of weeks. Has a 292 inline 6. When I take it out it will run fine for a mile or two then it begins to sputter and die. Usually I can choke it and limp my way back to the house but if I take the choke off it will immediately die. Once back it will typically run perfectly fine again. It has a 12 volt fuel pump, new plugs, new wires. Looking for a starting point. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

2. fred pooler

fred pooler

Try running without the gas cap for awhile. Maybe it creates a vacuum because the cap isn't vented. Just saying

loudbang likes this.
  3. R Pope

R Pope

Vapor lock, or cap vent plugged. Did you put on a new gas cap? Some of those pretty shiny ones don't vent right.

4. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

sounds like fuel delivery problem. I would check for partially blocked filter or partially blocked fuel line. Also possible that there is drbris in the tank and the fuel pump is sucking it on to the screen sock that is on the end of the fuel pick up line

5. tractorguy

tractorguy

What was the fuel problem that originally caused you or someone to install a 12v electrical pump and do away with the mechanical pump ? Very common for older fuel tanks to have "stuff" floating in also. Did the installation of the electric pump put it or a fuel line near a heat source such as exhaust system ?

6. ADKTP

ADKTP

Tried a new vented gas cap. Same results. I will replace the fuel filter tomorrow and see where that gets me and also trying running without the fuel cap on. My father in law had purchased this pickup from a friend where it was just sitting in one of his barns. Truck has minimal rust and one dented fender but for the age is in very good shape, starts right up and runs down the road straight. I have had the truck for about 6 months and has run fine up until now. Amazing how much torque those 292 have. Not sure what brought on going to a electric pump it was that way when I purchased it from him. The first time it did this to me it was over 100 degrees out so I figured vapor lock. I replaced the metal fuel line with rubber. Today it cooled into the 80's so I took it for a spin and had the issue with it wanting to die after a couple miles on the road. Once back in the shed idles fine and throttles up fine. Thanks for the input.

7. ADKTP

ADKTP

Thanks for the help on this. Took fuel line off at the bottom of the tank. Nothing came out. Took air hose and blew the it then got drenched. I replaced the fuel pump anyway which has a filter before pump and replaced my inline filter. Cleaned filter in the carb. Runs like a dream now. I am sure that sock was plugged with debris. Thanks again.

loudbang likes this.