Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Top Secret Society of Rocket Levels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Top Secret Society of Rocket Levels

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Tomorrow's post early... I'm on the road to the HAMB Drags fellas...

G V Gordon and KCTA Chris like this.
  3. Got any pictures? Would be cool to see.

4. What! We really gotta wait?

5. 63Compact

63Compact

I walked through that carpark about 3min before the Murder went down. Still one of the best weekends Ive had.

6. flamingokid

flamingokid

Gee Boss,are you on the level? ;)

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And I thought we were 'out there' drag racing bottle rockets. No shit, one night (actually morning) when the street racing was both lean and lame I pulled a partial brick of bottle rockets out of my trunk. "Fuck it guys, lets race these..." and it was on. Side bets and all on the service drive at I-96 and Telegraph Rd. Locals will recall when that was the place to be if you were from the west side and had something fast or a blue bottle within. We used up nearly 100 in no time and for a while it became "our" goofy-ass thing to do. But levels and model rockets? I guess in the age of the 'net and smart phones anything is possible. Kool...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Never raced rockets, but several of us built black powder cannons in HS metal shop on the QT, and assembled in the back of the school late one Friday night and fired a fusillade. I have a hunch that the instructor had a pretty good idea what we were up to though.

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  9. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

That video is priceless. I would love to see "in car" video.

I guess my wish granted, I was able to watch video beginning to end without interruptions this time. Seems to be a little seriousness to all the hilarity .

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Crack me the fuck up.
    Now that's good drinking entertainment right there.
    Love the on board video.

11. Looks like a level playing field.

HA!......A LEVEL playing field!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2016
    falcongeorge and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It really is a plumb crazy thing to do...

Zerk and falcongeorge like this.
  13. belair

belair

Buncha hooligans. Get off my parking lot. I thought about doing that when I was a kid, but use a long line to tether the car(s) and have drag races.

14. raven

raven

Man, I'd love to race a rocket down the salt...
    r

15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Here's that same crazy bastard racing the rocket 'level' at 2009 Bonneville Speed Week ---

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

17. Thanks, Now I cant wait until my grandson gets is here. So we can build one of them. I'll let you know how that works out for me. lol Ron...

18. That's good craziness. I guess I'm gonna quit thinking of you as the grown up here. I like it.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  19. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I love those model rocket engines!

Back in the late 70s and early 80s I remember getting bored with model rockets. We'd lost so many of them in the woods that we started putting the rocket engines on the heavy plastic toy cars and boats you used to be able to buy at drugstores.

It always made for some excitement because you never knew which way they would ultimately go. Good stuff!

Ron Funkhouser and falcongeorge like this.
  20. Zerk

Zerk

Guy's got to be half a bubble off to try that.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. Made a number of cannons myself in school.

Took one home that was too ugly. Little brothers couldn't find my black powder stash to fire it off, so they mounted the barrel to a shoulder stock made from a 2 by 4. Found out they could cut the heads off several books of matches, ram the eff out of them with a rod and stuff a musket ball down after.

One time, rammed too hard and it was their neighbor buddy doing the ramming. Blew the rod & some unburnt match powder straight into the kids palm.

Anyway, the cannon was powerful. They found that if loaded with a steel ball, it would go straight through the fender and engine block of an old Nash Metro I had dragged off the edge of Mom's garden.

falcongeorge likes this.
  22. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Here is mine from 2002 with me photo shopped into the picture. It had 8 B engines. It is now on my office book shelf but it has battle scars from the salt. Our rules require it to be no bigger than a shoe box. It had aircraft control pulleys for wheels with O rings for tires. Image3 rocket car1.JPG

23. A brand new iPhone was put up for sacrifice for that, those where pre go-pro days. Great days!