Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Austin Somerset Gasser Build (DragNasty)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Jan 22, 2014.

1. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

There might still be some power there,as 4th gear isn't high gear in a Nash.
    4th gear is 1.33:1,5th gear is 1:1.:)

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know. I think they were worried about the stupid thing running 200 mph...lol!

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  5. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Looking good I didn't make it to the hotel tonight I was at test and tune at Mokan with the Willys and the digger both ran good and best of all helped a good friend with his 6yl digger make his first few passes to get ready for tomorrow

gonmad and Deuced Up! like this.
  6. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

So if my calculations are right. That still puts you in the 700 range! And that's that not counting, drag. So I'm right 8 to 9.

7. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Gotta be real KOOL! To have a bunch of people know your car from being HAMB

8. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is totally awesome I have probably met 20 guys tonight that introduced themselves and said they have followed it from the beginning. The HAMB is a super cool community.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  9. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

That is way KOOL!!

10. powrshftr

powrshftr

No Bud,300hp doesn't magically evaporate into thin air,but Jackson was right on the money with his estimation.
    Pretty much every car I've ever seen on our local chassis dyno has lost between 50-80hp from the crank to the wheels.
    Depends on how much steam the motor is making in the first place,and what type of transmission is being used.T400's are a real swine that drains quite a bit of power.

This motor was built with plenty of street miles in mind,and they were pretty smart with their choice of cam,compression,etc,so creeping up on almost 700 legit hp is pretty damn respectable.

Randall,I'm more interested in your torque numbers;I'm guessing they were just about equal with the hp numbers?
    With somewhere in the neighborhood of 650-700lbs of torque it should really sling that little car down the track with haste!:)

Scott

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

Car is looking good!Get her out on the track today and let all that boost carry you past everybody on the top end!:)

12. Good Job! 'Been folowing along since the beginning. You nailed it in the shop, nw get out there and NAIL IT on the track!

13. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy Hell did we have a blast at the HAMB Drags. With our boost issues resolved we now have heaping baskets full of horsepower and torque and to be honest, no idea what to do with it all! :eek: The car put on quite show, not exactly what I had in mind, but a show none-the-less. You know me, round one, now with no fear of lean issues etc. (thanks to the dyno work) I am just going to step on it. This is what that looked like!

Even after riding out the crazy launch and 600 plus feet of jack rabbit wackiness, I peddled it twice, short shifted it and still ran a mid 12 second quarter at 116 mph. A guy taking photos came over to our pit and showed me a photo he took of it with all four wheels off the ground! He is supposed to send it to me!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  14. gonmad

gonmad

Good to see it run down the track, but definitely need some major chassis tuning to make it all work. But when you get it working, oh my it's going to honk on down the big end!! Congrats on the fun day and it still being in one piece at the end of the day. There were a few that didn't get that lucky. :confused:

Deuced Up! likes this.
  15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So here is the deal. We scratched our heads pretty hard all afternoon (and several pit buddy's as well) but I basically took the same crazy ride four straight times. The second run we adjusted the air pressure in the slicks. We had 20 pounds in them for the dyno session and with all the excitement and fun in the pits sort of forgot about them. That is what I thought happened the first round. So we dropped the air pressure to around 12 pounds. Take a look at this crazy shot:

20160820_214018.png
    This run it hooked so hard that it slammed the rigid wheelie bars in to the track and literally spring boarded the rear end up in the air. It happens stupid fast...we really didn't see it happen until we were watching it in slow motion. Basically what ensued was a near instant replay of round one, only this time I decided to see if I could get it to recover with horsepower instead of short shifting. That just continued the high speed game of leap frog to nearly half track. Dad cut the video off early, guess he figured there was nothing to see hear...:D

16. gonmad

gonmad

My thought was more air pressure so it wouldn't hit as hard and maybe spin the tires just a few revolutions and possibly drive thru it till you could get it figured out. What's your next plan of action?

loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  17. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a photo I snagged off one of our videos. It was hard to get the stupid thing to stop on the perfect frame. I settled on this one after several tries. The slicks are off the ground but they are already on the way down here...they were higher at one point. :eek:

Screenshot_20160820-204936 (1).jpg

loudbang likes this.
  18. Flyinhillbilly

Flyinhillbilly

I saw that. That thing had the whump whumps something awful. Must have been one hell of a ride.

19. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So what's up with our little toy? Well after getting home and downloading all the videos this is what we learned. The car is a tire torturing launching machine. It is doing exactly what it was designed to do, transferring the weight to the rear and planting the holy hell out of the rear tires. But it was the sound track that was the most telling.

In fact our friend James (saltflats here on the HAMB) mentioned it after looking over the suspension. He said he had not been able to see it launch from the side but it sounded like I might be off the throttle at launch. He was correct. If you listen to the videos above you can hear it. I am on the throttle until I pop the clutch and then off. The launch is pulling my foot off the accelerator pedal, it unloads the chassis and the change in force puts me back on etc. etc. The pedal is a bit odd in both its placement (small car issues) and the way it rotates (vanity issues to make it look right):rolleyes:.

Our next step is lose the wheelie bars and adjust the loud pedal. Sure looked cool though!

Screenshot_20160820-195419.png

kiwijeff and gonmad like this.
  20. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

I just remember in the '70's that a drive line gobbled up a bunch of HP.

21. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Just knew it was going to be a wild ride once you really started to stand on it! YAHOO!!

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

hey there I am! ( in your photos ;)
    But what's more important is look at how many young people are in the crowds!

Anyone complaining about horsepower going out of style needs shown those pics! Car looks killer man!

kiwijeff and Deuced Up! like this.
  23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It really was a hoot! I met so many HAMBERs I totally lost track of most your names and avatars etc. It was great to see and meet all of you. Dad and I had an absolute blast! OH and by the way, we did finally figure out how to stop the Austin from bouncing on the last pass...run it out of gas! :eek::p I drain the fuel cell dry at the 1000 foot mark with 10 gallons of e85 sitting in the back of the truck!:rolleyes: LOL

24. rooman

rooman

Apart from the gas pedal issue you need to get the tire pressure high enough that the wheels will spin a little at the hit. The tire is wound up way too much in the wrinkle photo so it needs more air. With the high center of gravity, the short wheelbase and the long ladder bars you are really planting the tires. You need to remember that all of those factors in the period gassers were necessary because the tire technology was not as far down the development road and the tracks were not prepared the way that they are now.

Roo

25. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good point on the period tires Roo. I have all the period suspension technology in play (and it is obviously working) but I never really thought exactly what prompted it. Very cool thanks.

26. loudbang

loudbang

Note during your burn out there is no hopping I agree with rooman up the tire pressure and let them spin a little and the will stop "wrapping themselves up" and loads and unloading the suspension when you can stay on the throttle that is. :rolleyes:

Deuced Up! likes this.
  27. I also agree. You have got to eliminate the sever hopping, or you may brake parts. Congrats on the outing with the car, I am sure you will get it sorted out. Just takes time. And no track is the same, its always a process of finding what works.

loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  28. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

[​IMG]

Look what I found It's a real good shot of me running off and leaving you in the dust lmfao so tell me how do those tail lights look on the back of my Willys lol

kiwijeff, loudbang, gonmad and 3 others like this.
  29. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know, I know. Hey I came over and kissed your boots afterwards...is that enough humiliation! LMAO :p:p:p

Resized_Screenshot_20160821-122020.jpeg
    As far the tail lights, to be honest, I might not be the best reference for their proper placement, spacing or style...

Resized_Screenshot_20160821-122156.jpeg
    As I sort of had my hands full trying to run that awesome little truck of yours down under difficult circumstance. Take good look at the photo above, that is me somewhere between 600 feet and half track with all four wheels off the ground!:eek:

Screenshot_20160821-122323.jpg
    Thanks for the photo ops though. It was just exciting to line up against it. What an awesome day!:cool:

kiwijeff, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  30. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Don't know what compound your tires are, it seem from the vid they are way to soft. May want to try Radir slicks. The only problem is they come in WW only. Can turn them around. They do go 15x12. Or maybe M&H. Might be something to consider over the winter.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016