Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1951 Dodge 3/4 ton truck rear axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe Coughlin, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Joe Coughlin

Joe Coughlin

Hi, does anybody know anything about the rear axles and seals on a 1951 dodge 3/4 ton. Its a full floating rear axle with a seal that goes on the end and seems to prevent oil from the axle feeding the wheel bearings. I can't see any way of filling the hub with oil. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

There should be pipe plugs to remove for filling with wheel bearing grease. The book says it takes 1/2 oz.

3. Joe Coughlin

Joe Coughlin

So the bearings require packing with grease before installation then. I didn't spot any pipe fittings in the hub to fill.

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

That's it, Joe, packed with quality grease they'll last a lifetime.

Joe Coughlin likes this.

5. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

image.jpg I was going by the info in the owners manual. Maybe the don't all have plugs.

6. Joe Coughlin

Joe Coughlin

I had a look and definitely no plugs on the axle. Packed them up with some good great and got them back together. Was driving the truck this morning but I'll pull the half shafts and check them in a month or two. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app