Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Dan Woods Butcher Truck for sale!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Weasel, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Weasel

Weasel

Here it is for sale folks - the Dan Woods built Country Butcher Truck for Bob Reed - the real deal- always one of my favorites.

Can you believe I cannot find a single photo on the web so if you have any post 'em up.

Item No. 320746189609 on THAT auction site....

2. My wife used to shop at the Country Butcher,in Downey,all the time. It almost always sat outside,in front of his store. Really a nice car.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. lukey

lukey

Never seen that before, but i really like it!

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that car was on the cover of the very first Street Rodder magazine I ever bought.

5. [​IMG]

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

One of my favorites of it's genre... I was just looking at that issue the other night.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

^^^^^ .. there it is. I have my beat up copy around here somewhere. I always thought that was a really cool truck.

8. Gaters

Gaters

My Dad suggested to Bob he get personal license plates with "Soy Bean" on em. He didn't think it was too funny. Many a steak and hamburger out of Country Butcher.

9. I remember going there as a kid, my grandparents house was right across the street from there on Duesler Ln. I also remember that truck inside and outside.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  10. Weasel

Weasel

Thanks for posting the photos Bad Bob. Looking at the photos on the auction listing you wonder why the owner doesn't clean it up with some Brasso - it looks to be in pretty original condition. A couple of paint cracks, but I'd just clean it up and drive it....

11. jipp

jipp

i like C cabs, especially the ones from the 60/70s.. show circuit.
    chris.

12. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

it's hard to find any info of pics of dan woods cars. i've allways liked pertty much everything he's ever put together. as a teenager in the early 70's, his show car's really messed with my brain.

13. 39LOW

39LOW
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from MESA,AZ

Does anybody have any information about dan woods? Met him in the mid 70's when i and an ausie friend visited l. A. He was a great host and toured us around. Took us to a "over the hill gang" club meeting and cruise. Was a great time for two young rodders!never forget him.

14. Gaters

Gaters

I recently spoke to him after my dad passed away. He's in Northern California doing something other than building cars these days.

15. Weasel

Weasel

Last I heard he was on the Monterey Peninsula, maybe based in Salinas, doing architectural ironwork....

16. TheMan90241

TheMan90241
    from Downey, CA

Wow! That brings back some good memories. My very first paying (under the table) job was working for Bob Reed at the Country Butcher Shop. I was his "shop boy" at age 15 working in the garage. I would change the oil and rub his cars down with countless bottles of "The Wax Shop" products. I spent many hours working on this old C-Cab truck. When I turned 16, he also let me drive his 1947 Cadillac Sedanette. Bob is the primary person who gave me my appreciation for a good looking classic car and hot-rod. I never got a chance to thank him for that as an adult. The detail in this C-Cab truck was amazing. The only part that was frustrating was the brass work was all clear coated. Once the truck started to show its age the clear coat began to peal. Cleaning the brass was almost useless because of the patchy clear coating. It needed to be disassembled, dipped, stripped, and put back together again to make it right. To this day, I have never seen another car like that one with a Cobra 302 motor stuffed into such a small compartment. It was/is a truly amazing piece of work. That was one of many of Bob's creations. Thanks for the photo and the memories!

Terry

17. fogcrawler

fogcrawler
    from Arcata CA

"39LOW, post: 6872738, member: 65448"]Does anybody have any information about dan woods? Met him in the mid 70's when i and an ausie friend visited l. A. He was a great host and toured us around. Took us to a "over the hill gang" club meeting and cruise. Was a great time for two young rodders!never forget him.

:)Ironic I stumbled on your thread today. I followed Dan Woods, Big Daddy Roth & George Barris builds when I first started buying car magazines in the mid/late 60's as a teen. I had the opportunity to have lunch last Friday and Saturday and spent the day with him at the Fortuna Auto Expo. Bob Reed showed up Saturday but amidst the crowd I personally did not get a chance to meet him. Bob is spending a few days here (Humboldt County, Ca.) with Dan before he goes back home to Lake County, Ca. Dan lives in McKinleyville, Ca. I'm hoping there's a chance I can hook up with Bob before he heads out.
    Here's a current picture of Dan's '32 Ford AA flatbed and a couple of treasured autographs..
    Meeting and having lunch with one of my teenage idols is a dream come true.

Attached Files:

18. I'm glad this post came back. I have fond memories of the Country Butcher. It's funny, there's a butcher here in town and my mom still refers to it as the Country Butcher (shes hasn't lived in Downey since the late 70's). She went there all the time and then I went as a kid with my grandmother.....it was the regular go to grocery store.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

where is the car now?

20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Pictures from Bob Reed's "Man Cave". He built a house up here and he and Gloria moved in a few years ago. A nicer couple you will never find. I'll forward this thread to him.

Gary

IMG_0052.jpg IMG_0053.jpg IMG_0054.jpg IMG_0055.jpg IMG_0056.jpg

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It was a Hot Rod "truck and van" issue around that time as well.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

:(
    Ironic. I just saw Chaporis's "Sirod" in person for the first time in my life, a car I have been obbsessed with since around the time Woods Butcher Truck was getting ink. It was parked on a side street on the periphery of the show I am attending. Car looked so slim and minimalist in person, just SO RIGHT. Easy to grasp why its an icon, man what a beautifulu car,timeless. It was difficult getting a photo due to the crowds.
    The irony? The crowds were around the double dropped bare metal, rusty Fenderless T tudor with no top insert ,18" artillery wheels and woodlights that was parked behind it, no-one was even looking at Sirod.:(

need louvers ? likes this.
  23. [​IMG]

I think that wooden mountain man was at the entrance of the Country Butcher. On a side note if he has any more pictures of the the store please post them or if not per the rules pm me.....I can't find any online.

24. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

More Bob Reed.

IMG_0208.jpg
    Bob asked me to help him change the the front flexible brake lines on his 34. He is taking the front wheel off to give mo more clearance for the wrench.
    IMG_0292.jpg
    34 , 5 window. One of Bob's first cars. Think he said he bought it in the early '50s. Still 21 stud flathead. He has put 300,000 + miles on it since then. Yeah Bob drives them.
    IMG_0293.jpg
    Bob in the red shirt beside the car a friend of ours Jim Spero built.
    SANY0091 (1).jpg
    Bob in the red cap at the 50th LARS I took him to. I actually didn't know him too well then but when he said he was an early L.A. Roadsters member I thought he needed to go to the 50th. You know that looks like me in the white cap standing next to him. If it is I don't know who took the photo. Chip was it you?

SANY0091.jpg
    Don't know much about this C cab but it must have been one of Bob's
    SANY0116.jpg

25. Just got my copy of the May '73 issue of street rodder :).

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Aw, hell...I bought that one when it was new...(yes, new. But I was in the marital grip of a stone-hearted, black hair-blue-eyed witch that had hooks of being the "fairest of them all"...)
    When I shared the centerfold with her, she shrieked: "And you think yer gonna do something like THIS with OUR MONEY?"
    A mere 2 months later I received an inheritance from my Grandfather's estate, and bought the '27 roadster body to perch atop my Bargain ten dollar Deuce rails!
    Shortly after that, the evil witch left.
    And I married Snow White.:p True story. Always.

jnaki and pat59 like this.
  27. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I seem to remember some shot of Bob's T driving on Firestone in that coverage, when Downey was still a industry leader.
    I dig the buildings in the background and think back to those days. What a Kool guy with a dang Kool Kar!!!!

28. Gaters

Gaters

29. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

See this truck in person this weekend at the Buffalo Motorama in the Open Wheel Room. Buffalo Convention Center, Buffalo NY Friday,Saturday, Sunday
    This is a COOL ride!!!

30. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Thanks to Klassy Kar Sales from Akron NY for bringing this cool ride to our show. This is a history making truck and it is a blast to have it in the Open Wheel Room this weekend.
    Come on out to the 2017 Buffalo Motorama and see this ride up close and personal!!!!