Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let's see some stude larks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pie pie, Aug 18, 2016.

1. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

I did try to search and did not find anything. Just like to see some ideas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. The Early years of playing with Photoshop and a photo of a 2 dr. wagon. The attempt was to tilt the bottom of the grill forward and modify the fender to flow with the extended bumper filler area. Well. you get the idea.
    stude_lark_wgn.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    quick85 and funk 49 like this.
  3. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

that does look pretty sweet! seems like a different breed of cars.

4. I think Larks have a lot of potential to be cool little customs. I had a drawing of 2dr hardtop with modified '59 Edsel quarter panels. Must of deleted the pic. awhile back.
    What' I think is cool about 2 dr. Larks is that you can unbolt the quarters, perfect for customizing...finishing off inside the panels before bolting them back on.

5. Champscotty58

Champscotty58

[​IMG]

This poor thing is going to be getting the Southeast Gasser treatment. Currently doing body work when I can. Replaced the smashed roof and cowl. Now working on banging out some of the dents. Build thread will be in the works when some of the fun stuff comes around.

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Lark's are cool. 1959-Studebaker-Lark-Gasser-Sally-Booth.png

Attached Files:

quick85 and pie pie like this.
  7. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

I'm supposed to be getting a 4dr. Just thought of using it to haul friends and family just to beat on. I think they look sweet lowered with some wide whites.

8. ElmCityGeoff

ElmCityGeoff
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ours. Stock as a rock and never fails.
    image.jpeg

quick85 and pie pie like this.
  9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

10. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

11. one of the two I have....there is a single head light cover....which I want to run on mine.....

Attached Files:

quick85, scrap metal 48 and Hnstray like this.
  12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Not mine but I love the Wagonaire

pie pie likes this.
  13. Maybe he posted after yours was deleted?

14. Did this a long time ago in colored pencil. Some Hawk elements and maybe Edsel quarters with Hawk fins? I don't remember (ha-ha). Made a little air induction scoop under the grill and cut out in the bumper.
    stude_lark_custom-1.jpg

quick85 likes this.
  15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

IMG_1579.JPG

My Lark VIII Hardtop........in the shop for several 'improvements'. I had several good pics saved but am having a terrible time with photo storage and seem to have lost them.

Ray

16. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Thinkin' about that, but the Studie runs so well it would be a shame to pull it.

But a Mustang T5 transmission IS in the cards. Easy adaption to make.

Ray

18. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

I was just thinking for ease to find parts. This one has a ohv 6 and some parts are hard to get. I could even get a 259 but parts still seem not so easy.

19. fleetside66

fleetside66

I wish I had some pics of my two convertibles, but we didn't exactly have cameras with us at all times back then. Hell, the Instamatic wasn't even around when I had those cars. My first one, a '59, had a 6V-flathead six & the second was a '62 with a 259 cu. in. V-8 (I always lusted after the 289). Both were 3-on-the-tree. The '59 was a dud. I used to have to wrap the motor in blankets in the dead of winter in hopes that it would start for me the next day. You couldn't get angry with the car & punch the dash, because it would split & ruin your day. The '62 was a lot of fun & relatively quick with some good torque, but burned oil so bad I used to carry a 5 gallon container around with me. I used to fill up the oil at a station that had re-refined oil that was dispensed out of a pump for 11 cents a quart . Hence the expression, "fill up the oil & check the gas." The floats in the carb would stick, but you could correct the situation by tapping on the carb with a small hammer in the middle of traffic. The linkage would jam, but you could easily un-jam it with a little brute force under the hood (again, in the middle of traffic). My dual exhaust was patched with the very long olive oil cans & hose clamps. The A-frame on the left wheel suspension collapsed on me going around a corner one time. My mom was using it one day when her car was getting fixed & the brake cylinder went going down a grade on a busy street & she managed to get it to a stop by only hitting one car. (She's still around at 93, BTW.) Still, the car looked nice with a black body & top & a two-tone red & white interior. Those little glitches were kind of normal back then. The 259 & the 289 were very decent motors. I would love to have driven an R-2, with the supercharged 289, which were in the Daytona & Avanti. At the end of Studebaker's reign, the were using SBC's. (I'd love to have a set of those valve covers. ) Keep the original motors. They were fine. Remember, everything power & motor-wise should not be compared to modern times. It was what it was back then. It's tradition.

stillrunners likes this.
  20. PiePie....you could go with a the easy thing - SBC or what ever. I've been running Studes and their motors for over 40 years....never been an issue with parts - I know I can't run as fast - but I can still run ! They ran a delco- remedy distributor starting in about 1962 - made some things easier....been getting motors and brakes and such for years for nuthing - as guys upgrade.....so many came with the twin traction Dana 44.....

21. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Sounds like some agrivation. This car was drivin into its resting spot 15 years ago. Going to look at it again tonight

22. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

is there very many of these out there that are hot rodded?

23. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

this belongs to a friend. he needs a good running Stude OHV 6

Attached Files:

Lepus and quick85 like this.
  24. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

Here's a few from South Bend 2014. P1020010.JPG P1020025.JPG P1020045.JPG P1020046.JPG P1020047.JPG P1020058.JPG

quick85 likes this.
  25. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

Some more from 2014 P1020067.JPG P1020068.JPG P1020084.JPG P1020124.JPG

quick85 and Hnstray like this.
  26. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

... and finally a few more. P1020387.JPG P1020388.JPG P1020427.JPG P1010635.JPG P1010643.JPG P1010659.JPG P1010660.JPG P1010682.JPG

cfmvw, quick85 and Hnstray like this.
  27. Nice! Thanks for posting Bearcat.

Hnstray likes this.
  28. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

I still run Studebaker running gear, and I've never had any trouble finding parts, outside a few one-year-only body parts. Most Studebaker running gear was used for many years in different models, so engine and tranny parts are the easiest. I'm still running a Champion flathead six. Which OHV six parts are difficult?

29. Any cylinder head that isn't cracked. Seriously.

The 61-64 Stude OHV6 is pretty much unusable long term for putting on trouble free miles due to that. I learned the hard way, driving a 64 with a stock OHV 6 and a 62 with a warmed up OHV6.

The older champion flathead 6 will go and go and go, same with the Stude V8's. The OHV6 head was rushed into production and well, Studebaker failed before things ever got fully sorted out. 61-62 OHV6 heads are the worst for cracking 63-64, still crack, but just slower. They crack between the valve seats or between the valve seat and sparkplug hole.

Attached is a picture of my 62 Lark hardtop I had 10+ years ago. I built it about 16 years ago. I took the 170 OHV6 and put the older flathead 185 crank in (direct interchange), an bored oversize so I ended up with 201 ci. I custom made a intake with a pair of Stromberg BOXV carbs off a 41 champion. Peppy little car with much lighter engine then the stude V8.

I got the last 5 of the NOS OHV6 Stude cylinder heads from Newman-Altman (any stude guys remember that candy store in South Bend?). I'd get about 3,000 miles on one before I'd start having crack related issues on my warmed up OHV 6 and about 5 to 7,000 miles on a head on my stock 64 OHV6.

These days, I run a V8 Studebaker or a champion flathead six. I have enough drama in my life without a OHV 6.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    quick85 and Hnstray like this.
  30. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

I'm waiting for the guy to get it out from the back or storage behind other cars and parts so I can see if this one even runs. Supposed to have a rebuilt engine just before it was parked. If it runs ill drive it, if not Ill swap it for something else.