Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who makes the best Ford 12V voltage regulator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50flathead, Aug 16, 2016.

1. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

After quite a bit of diagnosis I've discovered that my voltage regulator in the 50 Ford is junk. I'm running a 12 volt positive ground system and just had the generator test good today. Guy at the electrical shop tells me that voltage regulator quality is real hit and miss. Any feedback is appreciated.

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I've grabbed every NOS early ford 12 volt regulator I can get my hands on.
    Came very close to burning up my car and garage one time with an aftermarket.

3. I have had no luck with modern regulators...even USA made

4. Maybe check with Bubba.

5. All 12v. fords were neg. ground. You are running a negative ground regulator in a positive ground system. I'm surprised the guy at the electrical shop didn't pick up on that.

"A voltage regulator can be polarity sensitive. The most common way is in the regulator contacts both size and material. Because the current broken (field) is the same direction for a given polarity metal can migrate across the contact points. A regulator made for dual polarity will have ample material in both points. A regulator made for single polarity will have the point that doesn't erode made smaller to save on precious metal and often to lighten the vibrating arm. It will still work with the opposite polarity from that it was designed for, but the small point will erode rapidly, giving a shorter life."

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  6. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

The vehicle was converted to 12 volt positive ground system 20 years ago. I'm using a regulator as applied to a 1957.

7. haychrishay

haychrishay

I got tired of replacing then about every 60 days and put a power gen 1 wire alternator on my 40 IMG_1454.JPG

8. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

I like it.