Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Is the Woodward Dream Cruise worth a 350 mile drive?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lebowski, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

Danny, I'm thinking of taking the car in my Avatar a brand new frame off car with 400 miles on it down to Pigeon Forge to sell it. In the past we rented a cabin rather then stay in a motel. Any recommendation on a motel to stay at on the parkway where the car will get good exposure?

Anyone interested in the car send me a PM. This car has it all. Its comfortable and a very fast street car.

Gary

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  2. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

If you see a black '49 Buick Special there let me know because I sold it to a guy from Pigeon Forge about 5 years ago....

PICT0007_11.JPG

3. '56 150

'56 150

Do any local hambers hang out with their cars on week of or day of Woodward?

4. Weather permitting a bunch of us going out after work tomorrow....around 14 and Woodward or thereabouts

I'll be in a red 61 Sunliner..lowered on skinny whites and chrome reverse wheels

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

THAT would be my plan... perhaps next year. Gary

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Woodward may be OK but in my estimation there are tot many better options way closer. Shades of the Past, Hot Rod reunion, NSRA Nats, Cruising the Coast.

Gary

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  7. Richard E

Richard E

I don't live too far away from Woodward, so I attend when I want to or if the weather isn't too bad. That said I look at the Dream Cruise as a "bucket list" event. If you haven't attended before you should go and see what it's all about. It is better to go one evening during the week leading up to Saturday, but just to go on the official day, Saturday, is also a good thing.

8. When we attended in 2014 the Woodward cruise while at the '54 Ford convention one of the members had obtained special parking for is at a church for a donation from the club,very reasonable price.

We were there on a Saturday morning,it was hotter than a 4 balled tom cat,but what knocked me for a loop,the little cafe we ate at had a wonderful breakfast sandwich but didn't sell coffee,they weren't out,they didn't sell coffee,what's up with that?

Again,I can say I've been but I just got the feeling it was at a new car parade and after about 4 hours of roasting in the sun I had had enough.

Our cjuns did get to tour several private car collections that I enjoyed a whole lot more than the cruise,and the buildings had air conditioning. HRP

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  9. Bigblue61

Bigblue61

Its gotten too corporate. I went from about 2000 to 2013 and Corporations just keep taking over more and more of the areas to park and/or sit. Curising on Saturday is a joke unless you do it from around 7:00 to about10:00 a.m. otherwise its a parting lot.
    We used to get there Tuesday, cruise everydayand night until they shut Woodward down, including early Sat, then walk for miles.
    Everyone should go once, but not for just one day, and definitely not just Saturday, IMO that's a waste of time

10. butch27

butch27

Well it is the " Mustang Camaro City"

11. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Haven't been out in a couple years but decided to check it out again. I was the only guy double clutching an A trans with the oldest ride in my area.

[​IMG]

12. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

IMG_6988[1].JPG IMG_6989[1].JPG IMG_6990[1].JPG IMG_6991[1].JPG Here's a few pics from the wed. night before. My '55, buddy Mike's '56 Belair and Bob's '56 150.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  13. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

14. HELL YES!!! GO!!!
    We have been to car shows all over the country and you won't see anything like the Dream Cruise.
    Parking is free, just get there before 11am
    Plan on spending a few days, Hot rods cruise Wednesday, Thursday evenings and all day Friday. Friday check out the "M1 Concourse" on the north end of Woodward, last year there were grand stands set-up, 1/4 mile drags and Chrysler difting display - all free. The big show is Saturday, bring a camera, lawn chair, sun screen, cooler and a rain jacket just in case. You want to set-up base camp between 11 Mile Road and 14 Mile Road for the best viewing.
    If you feel the urge to smoke some tires head north to Pontiac, I think the police have a better sense of humor there.
    Another event at the same time and only 20-30 miles away is in Flint called "BACK TO THE BRICKS", 10 miles or so of cruising on a smaller scale than Woodward. Lots of beer drinkers in Flint or bring your own bottled water.
    If you are in town stop by and see us at Woodward-Fab, Monday-Friday 8am-4:30pm and check out some new fabricating tools.

15. Lebowski, if you want to sit in bumper to bumper traffic.Come up here to the rod runs in Sevierville or Pigeon Forge. LOL. When we moved up here some 18 years ago I used to take mine to them, you could still cruise in them back then. Now is just a traffic grid lock. NICE CARS but you cant move .That's why I go to the cars shows in Knoxville or Newport , Greensville or Morristown T.N. now. Just my 2 cents. Bruce. P.S Hows the Edsel doing? Justin022.JPG

16. DAMN!!!!!!!Bruce.

17. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

It's worth it if you 1: have a place to park, and 2: have a group of buddies to hang out with. Don't drive in it. The only time it's fun for me is during the week when you can actually drive on woodward and it's not a parking lot.

18. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

It's running good with the replacement engine we installed and the 3:10 gear instead of the 3:56. It still has only one brake light though. I was told it's probably the turn signal switch in the steering column so I removed the steering wheel and removed some other things in there but there was nothing in there even remotely similar to the plastic piece that was supposed to be the turn signal switch that they sold me at Advance so I said screw it and put it all back together again. I've driven other old cars with worse problems so I'll hope for the best. Also, it made the 2017 calendar of the International Edsel Club. Thanks for asking.... :)

PICT0006.JPG