Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fuel delivery - options???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fore-speed, Aug 12, 2016.

1. fore-speed

fore-speed

My gasser has a 327ci motor and the edlebrock intake installed back in the late 60's with two 1850 holley's. I thought I could run this setup and keep the vintage parts and pieces in place from back in the day. It is now clear that this setup flows just way too much gas. I just don't think any jet changing or other mods to these carbs will balance out this setup.
    One option I have is to swap out the original 600cfm carbs for two 450cfm Holley's. So I've been looking for other options for not a ton of money. I have found several Hilborn FI intakes w/stacks for about the same money. I like this look very much but have no experience with this setup.
    Which setup will not require lots of money and primarily have the highest percentage of working as soon as it is bolted on. My 327 is stock bottom, aftermarket cam, 1.94 camel back heads and fender well headers. Odds are the 450 Holly's will require some dial in time but what about the Hilborn equiptment, easy to dial in? not a lot of moving parts? Your input is appreaciated. View attachment 3296663

2. squirrel

squirrel

The issue would be that it flows too much air...not too much gas...something about how carbs work, they only provide as much fuel as the airflow requires.

But with proper gearing, etc you might be able to get away with two 1850s. Are the vacuum secondaries still functioning like they are supposed to? Pictures...please!

Hilborn mechanical injection is going to be a bit more of a challenge to get working, than a pair of good old 600 Holleys!

afaulk likes this.
  3. I think that you mean you are getting too much air. CFM ratings are not fuel ratings they are how much air that it flows. cubit feet per minute of air. You then regulate the fuel mix with jets and booster design, I like down leg boosters in those intakes. With the carbs that you got you will also use metering plates in the secondary circuit unless you swap the metering plates for a plate that accepts jets.

I expect that you plan on racing that car and not driving it correct? The intake you got is designed to run @ WOT for 1320 feet at a time. It can be tuned to run on the street and use the carbs you have, changing to 450 CFM carbs won't make it any easier to tune.

I am going to wager that if you cannot tune that manifold you won't be able to tune the hilborn unit either,and any unit that you find for the price of a pair of carbs is going to cost you cubic feet of money to make right.

4. fore-speed

fore-speed

I pretty sure my power valves are blown as I do get some backfire. Other than that the motor just fouls out the plugs in one run, not to mention misfire. Anything above 3000 rpm is crap.
    These are first generation 1850 Holly's, probably installed late 60's to early 70's. Intake is an edlebrock X-C8 crossram. So, I did not say too much air, I think it is too much gas.
    Do I try to work with these 600 4bbl's or try something else. I really want to stay with parts from the day.

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Rebuild the carbs to list number specs, make sure the ignition is good and timing set and report back..Those 1850's with vac secondaries make it hard to over air anything (almost)..

swade41 likes this.
  6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Looks like you have some sort of flat air cleaner in those scoops over carb throats? If so, give it a run without them and see if anything noticeable happens. I am always deeply suspicious anytime I see a Briggs&Stratton sized filter of any sort on a hotrod.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

In all likleyhood , some well meaning individual have messed w/those carbs , take them apart & see what's been done & undo it if possible , there's no reason you shouldn't be able to make that setup run decently on the street or strip ..
    BTW , hardlines from the firewall mounted fuel block to the carbs isn't a good idea, somethings got to flex...
    dave

8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Don't know it did the line - thru deal ???

9. I agree. You could put a heavy spring in the secondary side and might actually have 2 2's.

10. fore-speed

fore-speed

The picture I posted was an old one taken when I first bought the car. Fuel pump on the firewall was replaced with a new one at the tank in rear of the car. These are new pictures with dual springs and same fuel block, new valve on firewall. I love the look of the hard lines and left them as they work. The carbs are setup to work simultaneously not progressively. DSCN0450.JPG DSCN0451.JPG DSCN0452.JPG DSCN0453.JPG

11. Someone has put 50cc pumps on them fairly recent, like was said double check your ignition components, replace your power valves, check your timing and tell us what's happening.

12. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

That is a very difficult set-up to make work...at least for me. I scrapped mine and went to a shoebox manifold with everything else the same. Solved my problem. I just wasn't good enough to make that cross ram thing work. Just sayin...

13. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Man, I know you like the look of those hard lines but that is definitely a disaster waiting to happen. They WILL stress crack at one end or the other in time. Gotta get a couple pieces of hose in there somewhere. Just trying to look out for you and your ride, not burst your bubble.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

X2...Don't think track tech would like it either..