Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Is the Woodward Dream Cruise worth a 350 mile drive?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lebowski, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I hear about this every year and have seen a lot of pics and videos of it but have never been there. Is it worth the drive up there this Saturday? I heard it's the world's biggest one day car show and was considering driving up there in my Edsel. Are there any other events or would I just be sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on that street all day? Have any of you Michigan guys been there? What did you think of it?

dreamingandcruising.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  2. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

My opinion is that it's not worth it. I tend to avoid the area myself, but I'm more interested in driving my stuff than showing it. You get a lot of garage/trailer queens on Woodward, and it's definitely a lot of traffic.

Mike

3. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

I've never been there ,I hear it is nothing but a parking lot unless you go a couple of days before.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Yes, it's definitely worth it. It's fantastic. It's free.
    I go every year.
    Book your hotel NOW and try to arrive on Friday if possible.
    If you will be leaving from Louisville and arriving on Sat. you will have to
    arrive very early Sat. morning (5 am) if you want to find a place to park your car.
    Sat. is the busiest day. Folks begin to line the streets before dawn so they can get a curbside seat. Linda Vaughn usually makes a guest appearance at the GM display on Sat. The real action takes place at 13 mile and Woodward so get as close to that intersection as possible. Lots of police presence so "burn-outs" are a "no'no." Mount a Go Pro camera on your car if you have one. As for cruising Woodward, the way it works is you cruise Woodward north from 13 mile to Pontiac where you make a U turn and cruise back down Woodward. It's a great experience. Plus, the folks in MI are very cordial. Stay another day and visit the Henry ford Museum. It's worth it.
    Read all about it here.
    http://madmanmike.com/woodward_dream_cruise.html

5. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Been there done that!
    Once I went in a daily driver OT car. Parked it on a back street and did a ton of walking.
    That was actually a lot of fun!
    We took my Son's '66 Nova up one year, car ran great, but 2 1/2 miles in 2 1/2 hours not much fun!
    Lots of A** holes in that traffic jam too, some doing burn-outs 3' off our back bumper!
    Everyone should go at least once if you are into cars, lots of great static displays along Woodward.
    KK

6. YES ! Worth at least 100 times more than driving from Detroit to your city as I did 1-1/2 weeks ago for the Street Rod Nats. You may be sitting in traffic a little on Saturday, but if that is a problem, go Friday.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. finn

finn

I try to get there on Tuesday and leave for home Sunday morning.

Well worth it. Don't expect to do much cruising Saturday, though.. Saturday afternoon is a spectator event for me, with miles of walking and watching.

8. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I'll give my 2 cents...

I had gone every year from 99 until 2014. I did not go last year.

If you haven't been before I would say its worth going. It is pretty neat to see that many cars in one place at 1 time. If you are just hoping to see traditional hot rods and customs, you'll probably be disappointed though. But if you appreciate all types of cars, its sensory overload. I see stuff there I don't see anywhere else.

Some tips:
    -Book a hotel asap
    -As much as the official show is Saturday, it really lasts the whole week before, and most of the locals only do the week before and avoid the Saturday, so I would try to get there Friday and cruise the entire loop
    -When I go on Saturday, I get there early (before 9) and cruise the entire loop before (11-noon), after 12 its pretty much just a traffic jam.
    -I always find parking, whether I have to pay for it or I park down a side street, but like I said be prepared to park before noon. And some of the pay lots can be pretty pricey
    -Park by noon and walk around, most of the good stuff doesn't cruise on Saturday, you'll be blown away at what you will see in the parking lots
    -If youre going to cruise, make sure your cooloing system is in tip top shape as it will be pushed to its limits.
    -Stay hydrated, bring lots of bottled water or something to drink, it gets hot and there isn't much shade
    -wear sunblock unless you like looking like a boiled lobster
    -bring a camera
    -bring an open mind and have fun

9. I drove the Ranch Wagon to Novi,Michigan for the '54 Ford Convention and we took part in the Woodward Dream Cruise and to be honest I saw more new Challengers than anything,we were thereon Saturday and it was basically a parking lot,hundreds of late models.

There were some nice hot rods and customs but few and far between,I can say I have been there but going back is not in my plans for the future.

In talking to some locals Woodward was amazing 20 years ago,even they say it's lost it's appeal.HRP

10. Just for the sake of it I down loaded the photo and enlarged it,there has to be a least 80% late model cars & trucks,

Don't get me wrong,there were hundreds if not thousands of cars in the parking lots,they just were not out cruising.

I honestly think Pigeon Forge is as good if not better but it also suffers from the late model overload too..HRP

Paint, dan31 and Gman0046 like this.
  11. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

@HOTRODPRIMER The dream cruise used to be way better, the first few I went to were awesome. All old cars, no sponsors/booths other than the big 3, no religous groups, no anti abortion advocates, no vendors...just cars and cruising

12. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I went every year from when it started in 96? until 2012, then I moved west and haven't been in town during the event. It is pretty congested, but alot of cars all along the route. There will be no free parking right on Woodward, it is big business selling the parking spots. Even if you see an open spot, expect to pay for it. The best cruising and parked cars are usually between 12 mile and 15 mile roads. I always looked for a spot on a side street, parked then walked down one side of the road and up the other. You will see just about anything. Beware there are many posted no parking on the side streets, especially down by Berkley. 13 & Woodward, Chrysler usually has that entire lot with their display. On the opposite corner (NE) there is a big park with alot of cars back in there. It is easier cruising up Woodward earlier in the day then the afternoon. Ferndale has Mustang alley, blocks full of vintage Mustangs. There is a fair share of idiots out there, mini vans, and late model cars, but it is worth going at least once. If you want a quieter, traditional event, you can always go to the Relix Riot out in Hickory corners, held at the Gilmore car museum (Awesome museum) which is also on the 20th.

13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

14. 31Apickup

31Apickup

That area is up in Pontiac, north of the main cruising. Used to be a sketchy area when the GM plant was there.

15. 31hotrodsedan man

31hotrodsedan man

Its def a sight to see if you never have before, but it is mostly late model,street rods, and the occasional vehicle that heavily pushes the limits of "street legal" The week of (this week) is a lot more actual crusing than parking with plenty of cool stuff to see. If you do try to cruise on sat be ready to watch your temp gauge. This is the first year Im actually bailing on the main event and heading out to the Gilmore Car Museum for the Relix Riot.

http://www.relixriot.com/

16. 31hotrodsedan man

31hotrodsedan man

Its still a little sketchy but where the plant was has now been turned into a luxury auto garage/ pirvate road coarse complex and the roadkill guys are bringing a lot of fun events the last few years, still late model oriented but a good time.

17. millersgarage

millersgarage

I'll be at the Relix Riot instead.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  18. As stated above, if you plan on seeing traditional stuff, you will probably be disappointed. I went last year and had a good time, but only because I had great company. Rows upon rows of screw together muscle cars and giant wheels galore.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not for me. I've heard the same as HRP posted. The Shades is in a great part of the country and is closer.

Gary

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. One question: Do you like cars? If your answer is 'yes', then it IS worth it. I grew up right in the middle of that area and I still love to go back there and see it. Once there was a blackout. Still cool. Lots of rain....not that cool. LOTS of humidity....not fun, but if you like lots of different and cool cars, YES!

wraymen likes this.
  21. dan griffin

dan griffin

Woodward was good in the mid 50s.

22. I think the cruise is the best if you walk against traffic on each side of Woodward. That way, you can see all of the cars pass. If you drive in it, prepare to check for overheating problems.

23. Ok.....live here...was at the first one...last time I went on a Saturday I went to park and was told it was $50.00...nope...are there cars...yes...lots of modern day muscle cars, nice muscle cars with an emphasis on 69 Camaro's, 68-70 Chevelles, lots of GTO's, all year Corvettes, and 60's Fords and Mopars. There will also be plenty of European sports cars, street rods, stock original cars....and than ya get the Donks with Lambo doors, the fast and furious types with 97 sunfires and cavaliers loaded with wings and mufflers. There will still be some cool cars in the mix. The problem for me is the money...parking spaces range from 50.00 to 150.00 for the day....that's to park. As for cruising..good luck...very large traffic jam.... The choice spots are reserved in advance. Folks saying 13 and Woodward... That's the epicenter and I'm not sure but his will be the last year for that spot..the Hospital bought that property and are expanding.
    If you really want to experience it come up on Wednesday morning..cruise till Friday night..get up Saturday and drive to the Gilmore museum and attend the Relix CC Relix Riot...lots of HAMB type vehicles in a great setting, with cars of all era's, great swap meet, one of the best shows in the country in my opinion... After the show jump back on the highway and head home with a case of car overload

bobkatrods likes this.
  24. dan31

dan31

I went last year and was glad I went but it will be a "one and done" for me. way to much new stuff

bobkatrods likes this.
  25. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Thanks for all the comments. I went to Weather.com and checked the forecast for Detroit for Saturday and unfortunately there's a pretty good chance of rain that day. I was going to get up early, drive up there and hang around for a few hours and then drive home but I like to stay with my car at cruises but it doesn't sound like that's possible there. Also, I don't know anyone who would want to ride up there with me so I guess I'll think about it for another year or two. Here's a link to hundreds of pics of the wide variety of cars that everyone mentioned. Thanks again....

https://www.google.com/?client=safari#q=woodward+dream+cruise

dream-cruise-parkingjpg-9243c267c59edb9e.jpg

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  26. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

when I went, it was a traffic jamb or 50 bucks to park. I rather go to the Nats in L'ville

27. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

We went in 08 with Jerry Dixeys road tour.
    It was fun but big traffic jam!
    All the neat hot rods were in parking lots. No body driving around.
    The said that year 100,000 cars.
    If you like seeing 100 smart cars in a row all different colors etc.
    Some different cars?
    For the most part, I would not make a special trip just for that!
    If you go to do different things, in the area like Henry Ford, ford plant, etc. then maybe worth it, to spend day at cruse?

gggholson likes this.
  28. If your on the HAMB, there is no reason you would want to miss the Relix Riot for the Woodward Cruise - PERIOD!!!
    http://www.relixriot.com/

29. Come to Pigeon Forge ,Tennessee next month and enjoy the huge cruising venue,and it's less than 300 miles from Louisville. HRP