Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lowering a 62 bel air

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by scampy72, Aug 5, 2016.

1. scampy72

scampy72

Hey everyone!

Need to know the best way to lower a 62 bel air a few inches. Was going to cut the coils but don't want to effect the ride too much. I know the aerostar springs are a Ford thing but will they work on a chevy?

Has anyone cut the coils on one and can you tell me how much and how harsh was the ride after?

Other suggestions welcome but don't think I have the budget for bags.

Thanks

2. belair_54

belair_54
    from australia

Going to do the same on a 1960 chev, the budget option is to cut your original springs your next option would be buy already lowered springs which have the correct spring rate etc Most parts retailers sell these Ecklers sell these for $93 a pair 3" drop (rear)
    http://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-size-chevy-rear-lowering-coil-springs-3-1958-1964.html

Drop spindles are the way to go, but they only sell these for disc brakes I'm still running drums so only an option if you converting to discs.
    I had a 66 Nova I cut the original coils on it rode well but would bottom out occasionally.

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Cutting front coils destroys the steering geometry. Drop spindles is the correct way to go.

Gary

4. jeffyg82

jeffyg82

My 63 I cut the coils with a 4 inch cut off wheel to prevent creating too much heat did not affect ride and it still drives great had to gave it aligned after of course. It's about 2 inches per wrap I believe cut whole wraps no 1/2 wraps so the spring still sits in the pocket right.... I think I may have a set of 2" lowering springs from a 64 we just finished for a friend I'll look today and let you know if your interested

5. Drop spindles?

if you cut one coil (loop?) it should drop it about 1-2" (depending on how worn the springs already are). You won't notice much in the line of difference in ride quality.

jeffyg82 likes this.
  6. Have had many of the X frame Chevys. One coil off front and rear yields a good long haul suspension. Fresh alignment and new shocks and you're good to go.

7. scampy72

scampy72

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help!

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

IMG_0642.JPG My 64 Biscayne in my avatar has 2" drop spindles in the front and short coils in the rear. Its almost too low as speed bumps are a problem as I have inch over them. My 63 Impala has new springs front and rear and the front looks too high. As I'm only looking for a slight drop, I'm going to remove one coil rather then spend the money on drop spindles. I've heard others say one coil has no effect on ride quality. Taking too much from the coils limits the travel and may require shorter shocks.

Gary

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  9. I thought the '62 Chevy's were already on the ground. HRP