Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Your opinion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alaska Jim, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

I know I am probably stirring things up by asking this question, but I had a discussion at a car show last night about this topic. First let me say that my car is not exactly "traditional" as it has a Ford Y-Block and a C-4 automatic, with a 9" rear. That being said, I think that their is a difference between a "street rod" , and a " hot rod" . any body care to express their opinion? I think there is a difference, and some I was having the conversation with agree, but others just could not seem to see, or grasp the difference. Any takers on comments?----Jim ------- note, my car (not shown in my avatar) is a chopped and channeled '30 A coupe, and can bee seen in my ford barn avatar

2. ground pounder

ground pounder
    from ontario

first off notice you're from alaska ..bought a k5 blazer out of florida a while back that was sold new in
    Anchorage
    Seem's it was a med a vac unit..

now for you're question yep theres a difference in a hot -rod vs street rod.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. There is a difference between a late street rod and a hotrod. In actuality the term street rod has been around since the late '50s that I know of. I have a hot rod magazine around here somewhere that has some old show coverage that shows a street rod class in the show.

That said even then there would have been a difference between the street rod and a jalopy I suppose. A street rod may have been more of a show car.

4. ..................You just had to go there didn't you.:D Can-of-Worms-by-Jason-Crislip-jpeg1.jpg

5. Hot Rod = As built in '40's and '50's
    Street rod = IFS, IRS, A/C, Billet, Crate motor, etc.

Alaska Jim likes this.
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There's a difference...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. The real question becomes, is there a difference between a 'ho and a prostitute. :D

8. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Street rods are comfy cruisers
    Hot rods are 4 wheel motorcycles

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Alaska Jim must not do too much reading here on the HAMB...and he has been a member foe 4 years

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  10. ground pounder

ground pounder
    from ontario

yes there is!!!!

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

A car is a car to most of the mass's. The sub categories from there are damn near endless. So yea, there's a difference. Especially depending who & how far down the line you question.
    Street Rod to me is a 70's build & up, sporting creature comforts, billet parts of any & all types, usually in mono-chrome or pastel paint scheme. JMO, the good part is they can all usually be fixed....:D

12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Hot Rods have 3 pedals, are not usually built for comfort, have more power than is necessary, and are a blast to drive!
    KK

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. A Hot Rod can scare you, a street rod won't.... LOL.

14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is becoming a traditional question, and I don't care much for them, it's the ultimate classic can of worms!

Your car might be very traditional, might not be Era Perfect, but if you run a old motor in an old car and make it look like it was build way back when, it's traditional!
    It might not be HAMB friendly, but...
    Sorry what was the question?

15. upload_2016-8-14_13-30-30.jpeg [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Jibs

Jibs

"The real question becomes, is there a difference between a 'ho and a prostitute"

Yes one charges the other doesn't.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  17. "The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question, is to post the wrong answer"

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yeah but you still pay some how...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. verde742

verde742

[QUOTE="wbrw32, post: 11653159, member: 41907"]Alaska Jim must not do too much reading here on the HAMB...and he has been a member foe 4 years[/QUOTE]

NO KIDDING !!!!!!

Someone said: streetrods have lawn chairs in the trunk,
    Hot Rod have a sock full of tools,

20. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

It really doesn't matter because everyone has their own definition of every word.

That said, Street rod seems to have become a dirty word. From what I've seen in old magazines and heard from older relatives, bud Bryant, jake, gray Baskerville, etc. started using the term during the muscle car era to describe the traditional style cars they were building and driving all over in. These cars were less focused on speed and more on drivability, but still a far cry from modernized and full of creature comforts.

It seems that as the 70's rolled on more and more modern conveniences made their way into these old cars, and slowly the billet laden air conditioned Easter egg we call a street Rod today was born.

I don't use the term derogatorily, but I consider traditionally styled cars that have automatics and four links and such street rods.

Cars that are traditional and use era correct parts are hot rods.

That's my own personal opinion and I'm not saying it's correct. I just grew up with the terms being used like that.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. 117harv

117harv

6. Was your thread about something other than traditional hot rods and customs? Aside from a few "sidebar" topics that interest the staff here, we don't allow off topic posts. Your definition of "traditional" might differ from ours. That's fine. However, this is our forum and it's our definition that the forum is run off of.

And then there is this ^^^^

22. I'm not sure who originally coined the phrase Street Rod but Henry Gregor Felsen use the title in one of his popular series of books,that was in 1953.

The terminology was used by the National Street Rod Association and the idea behind it was to clean up the hot rod racing in the streets.

Public opinion and newspaper sensationalism with hot rods was at a all time low and the factory muscle cars were the go to cars during the 60's.

Just my opinion but tweed interiors,Easter egg colors,heartbeat/splash graphics and billet wheels and independent front suspensions scream street rod.uts

During that time a lot of guys like myself were out of step but migrated toward the resto rod styles,I would think a lot of those people are still building cars and adhere to the traditional style and some are hard core traditionalist. HRP

23. mike bowling

mike bowling

EVERYTHING'S got a price- if you see "free", flee!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Hot rods" are kinda like "dirty girls" -they're loud and uncouth and you don't have to take them out to eat to have fun. Built by kids with no money, tools, or a garage most of the time- bare bones . Beg, borrow and steal!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Street rods" have fancy paint ($$$$$), radios and interiors and real exhaust systems, spare tires, , AC, heat, etc., etc. If you don't spend money on all that stuff, you can start another hot rod!

Attached Files:

24. It seems now that we consider cars built in the 50s or 60s as the "traditional" hot rods but I sometimes wonder if we've forgotten that these early rodders put "late model" (53 Merc, Cadillac, Olds) engines in their Model A or Deuce and used the newest Edelbrock, Offenhauser, etc. manifolds, the latest Isky 404 cam, and a pair of Sandy Belond's headers in their builds - and these images are somehow frozen in time as traditional. If an LS3 was available in 1959, would a real rodder put it in his Model A? Seems that this shows the wisdom of having a "traditionally styled" category here on the HAMB along with the "traditional" category. And to paraphrase some wise man, I may not be able to define the difference, but I know one when I see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.