Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 outside door handle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Coupe3w, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Coupe3w

Coupe3w

Hi guys this is my first post so don't beat me up to badly. I have a 34 3 window coupe a steel car. The other day I went to open the driver door and the handle came out in my hand. How is the handle retained in the latch mechanism? Do I have to remove the door panel to fix it?

2. Coupe3w

Coupe3w

And how do I get at the set screw? Do I have to remove the door panel?

3. Andy

Andy

The handle is attached to the door with the two screws thru the base of the handle. If the handle pulled thru the base, take the base off and put it all back together. The parts were originally held together with little bent ears on the shaft. You might be able to thread the shaft just on the tips of the square and use a nut. A touch with a mig welder would also work.

4. xix32

xix32

If it's like the `32, the square handle shank just slides into the latch. the only thing holding it to the door is the escutcheon plate, there should be four swedged tabs on the shank holding the spring against the shank, if those have been ground off a fix would be to cross drill the shank and put a cotter pin through it.

5. your right...i was thinking door lock and not door handle

6. Andy

Andy

I took some pics of a 34 std. door handle. The washer and spring are at the bottom of the door if the base stayed on the door. I also show a deck lid handle that is threaded.
    P1020515.JPG P1020516.JPG P1020517.JPG P1020518.JPG

7. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Funny, I was just replacing the door handles on my 34 an hour ago. Andys' photo is perfect and all of his solutions will work. Must have had a lot of use and no lube as the washer must have worn out the notches. If it all fails PM me and I'm sure I can send you a decent but not pretty original one if that is the look you want. Repros aren't bad today if you want shiny.

8. digaribay

digaribay

I could use those not so pretty originals!

9. Really? Send me a pm with an address....ill send you some

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. sinisterracing

sinisterracing

damn u would have another set by any chance for rdsr outside and deck lid mick