Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Stock Model A with a Flathead V8

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mzweig, Jan 24, 2016.

1. mzweig

mzweig

I had that same thought. How much difference is there really in a '32 Ford with a flathead vs a Model A Ford with a flathead. Both cars are functionally about the same other than stouter wheels on the '32....

2. mzweig

mzweig

I'm in Fayetteville, Arkie--howdy!

3. Mark -- I've seen several Model T's and A's with V8-60's. You could easily make that swap, or as porknbeaner suggested, you could as easily put a 100-hp flattie in it, for the same money. Put a '39 tranny in it while you're at it, and consider '35 16" wires for a little more meat on the ground, and some juice brakes to keep up with the added power. The Model A rear end will be fine. No need to chop the top or do any other alterations to the body to have a nifty car. I like it already. :)

Garagekulture13 and mzweig like this.
  4. I tend to agree with @Late to the Party here. An A bone doesn't need to be chopped or dropped to be a cool car. The added weight of the V motor will droop the snout a little anyway and there are chopped channeled and basically molested and left for dead A bones everywhere. You screw with one like mine not a nice one.

The later wheels may be nice and the A rear will handle the added ponies fine, it is when you start throwing big pieces of meat that them that they start to have problems. The 39 tranny is a good idea too, they are not hard to find and they really are a nice transmission, and no one but a restorer could argue with juice brakes either. ;)

Excellent advice here. ;) :cool:

mzweig likes this.
  5. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking along the same lines 'cause I have a good 8BA under the bench in the garage and I have a line on a nice late '31 slant windshield moredoor that someone started to take apart to 'restore' and gave up. It is missing the engine/transmission....dadgummit... I think there might be a solution

mzweig likes this.
  6. Glad to see someone else is doing a fordor AV8.

clunker and mzweig like this.
  7. If you do a search for "Gashog" you will find his build is almost exactly what you want to do, and there's heaps of pics and useful info.

ModelAPunk likes this.
  8. mzweig

mzweig

Thank you!

9. BTW: A Model A rear end is not bulletproof. It can be used ok, but drop clutch starts will kill it, so get the car rolling before feeding her the juice. There is a simple (ish) mod that will improve it, and it is documented here on the Hamb, so a search should find it. It involves installing a bronze bolt in the housing that sits a few thou from the ring gear and stops it trying to walk up the pinion gear under load. Later (32 onward) rear ends were redesigned in this area.

10. BTW: don't listen to the naysayers, it's a great idea. The only thing I would change in your plan would be to use 1935 16" wires as others have said. They are much stronger than A wheels, and even a stock A can kill the A wheels if pushed.

11. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

If you intend to just drive it NORMALLY, your plan will work fine.
    It has been done thousands of times.
    The wire wheels will NOT stand much side stepping the clutch and the narrow tires will not stop very well no matter what braking system you use.

12. Jesus Christ you new guys. Don't any of you read past page 3 on the main page? First of all this is a Hot Rod sight, not for a bunch of Boaring Nose Picking damn Stockers. If that's what you want go to the Ford Barn. Second this A-V8 thing gets brought up at least twice a week by newbies that think they are starting something new,,, WRONG! Learn to use the Search menu for Christ sakes. Just because we can come here for Free do we need to Beat the same Dog forever. There are only so many ways to do this and I guarantee you everyone of them has already been covered several times including the Brake issues.
    The Wizzard

Medic and wbrw32 like this.
  13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I remember a FEW of them ('Stock' A-V8s) around Johnny Freitas's Standard station in '53-'56. (corner of Scott Lane and El Camino Real, Santa Clara) The 'older guys' drove 'em...(22-30?)
    There were more than four, couple of '31 roadsters, coupes; there was at least one sedan, too. Most were 'sleepers'...one roadster was hot rodded, Kelseys, big and littles, dual pipes, chopped top. Belonged to a guy that called himself 'Lucky', had it written on his drivers door...the guys called him 'Stinky'.
    There was a collection of fenderless Hiboys, too: Boof's black '32 Hiboy roadster, Tebash's orange '32 Hiboy Five Window, Tut Brown's maroon '29 Hiboy, and another '29 Hiboy...all flathead powered. Ivan Scoscur had a yellow '32 lowboy, so did Bill Moore, ran a chromed-up '52 Cadillac.
    I was 11, loved every minute I stole to hang out at Johnny Freitas's!

14. Boy, someone got out the wrong side of the bed this morning.......

15. A little chiming in about the look, and wheels and tires
    just bigs and littles 17 inch. This car is bone stock.
    Kinda looks like a kid got it in '46! new a 004.JPG

kiwijeff, clunker, 1932tub and 2 others like this.
  16. I am considering building a speedster with a stock banger so if you want to sell your engine please let me know

mzweig likes this.
  17. mzweig

mzweig

I have procured a set of '35 Ford wires and will go with 6.00 by 15 bias ply tires.

18. mzweig

mzweig

Will the '35 trans bolt right up to the torque tube? I got some '35 wire wheels for mine and am now looking for the engine and trans. Thinking an 85-horse stock motor will be fine.

19. I have worked through this on my build thread.
    For the new trans, you are going to need a new clamshell. I have a 38 trans, and I believe that it is the same situation for you. The A shell will be too small. I was able to use the A u-joint though.
    Any other questions, you could check the last couple pages of my build, because the first few were lame, and I recently have been doing chassis stuff.

20. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

The 35 wheels are 16", not 15. You might want to consider a little rubber rake, instead of the same size tire all around. Good Luck

21. roder1935

roder1935

yes use the stock model a torque tube it will set your trans and motor tight to to the fire wall but it works well i wasn't able to use a stock fuel pump other than that it fits like a glove i did this years ago before i new of the hamb i would recommend a 750 16 tire on the rear it will help your top end speed going down the road

22. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

:cool:
    I LIKE YOUR TRUCK its COOL & THAT 32 next to your pickup - you GUYS have some BAD - ASS - CARS ----- you THINK YOU GUYS can BRING BACK some of them CARS to the state -- U.S.A. HHhhaaa -- :D:D:D - :cool::cool::cool:

Dago 88 likes this.
  23. 31fords

31fords
    from SoCal

Just curious with the Model A car stock rear and v8 flathead and the 39 trans setup what is the top speed can you go without having the engine sound like it's going to blow up?

Denny

24. That all depends on rear end ratio.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. 31fords

31fords
    from SoCal

What did the stock cars come with? 3.78? I think trucks came with 4.11.

Denny

26. Well if you wanna talk 30's tech....a flathead v8 would have been a very uncommon modification. Guys were still playing with the 4 cylinders. Look at the land speed records and they are dominated by 4 cylinders. Even the rare v8 would have been a slouch compared to a hot rod 4 banger.

You go to the trouble of swapping an entire engine and trans, plus all the required other mods to end up with 85 horses. You can get that with bolt on on a 4 cylinder and then it's by by v8....

Where do you think the phrase 8 for show 4 for go comes from?

That being aid. Just freaking do it. Who cares if the car is "to stock" I kinda like the v8 but stock outside idea. It's really a simple change over. You should get the bishop - Tardel book on av8's as it will cover pretty much everything. Just don't trust the measurements in the book as they are misleading.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  27. I believe that to be correct. But have never personally verified it. I take my pickup on the freeway all the time. It's slow lane. But it does 60. Of it had more than 40 horse it would be great.

28. Bader2

Bader2

Most are 3.78, there is an aftermarket 3.27,ive got a 38 rear in mine with juice brakes,just a small frame mod required.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Do it. I put a 59AB , 39 trans, 37 box and column, 3.54:1 rear gear in the model a rear , juice brakes and a lot of gasoline cause I drive the wheels off mine.

cactus1 likes this.
  30. 31fords

31fords
    from SoCal

I plan on putting in the stock v8 flathead and 3 speed with juiced brakes while keeping my stock Model A rear. I was just curious with that combo if I am able to do 60 on the freeway without the engine sounding like it is going to blow up with the rpm's so high. Thanks for the responses.

Denny