Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy maybe drums/spindles on Model A axle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by stray bomb too, Nov 15, 2015.

1. So for some crazy reason, I want to have a chevy bolt pattern on my '29 chevy. It's just one of those things. I started out with a chev disc kit on the "48" speedway spindles but once I got it all together it looked like ass. It has to have drums to look right to me. I found this set up today, 11" drums 5x 4 3/4 bolt pattern but on what the seller thinks is a Model A axle. So it looks like I can swap spindles (chevy?) drums ect on to my dropped axle and have some good looking drums and my chev bolt pattern but, what are these drums/spindles? From what I've dug up online , they might be '49-'50 passenger car drums but I really don't know. Can anybody identify these? And has anyone heard of just bolting this stuff onto ford axles ? Seems too easy to me but maybe I just got lucky. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447571797.535687.jpg

2. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

A picture of the back of the spindles would be a huge help for offering swapping advice.

3. R Pope

R Pope

'49-'56 Chevy spindles can be made to fit but I think the axle has to be bent a bit to stand the wheels upright, the king pin angles are different. BTW, you don't want the '49 brakes, they are Hucks non-energizing type. Later ones are Lockheed, much better.

4. squirrel

squirrel

those look like the 49-50 drums and backing plate. The 51-newer brakes work better.

pull the drum off, let's see what it looks like from a few more angles. More pictures

6. The whole setup was so cheap, I bought it....

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

Those brakes were used on Chevys from around 1937-1950, although they were 6 lug through 1948.

Might work ok for you, or you might want to put newer brakes on it. Neat old stuff, either way!

8. And I guess the next question is, can I make these work better?

9. squirrel

squirrel

better than what? you can turn the drums and arc the shoes, rebuild the wheel cylinders, and adjust them, and they'll work ok.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. OK is good enough for me ! Gonna use them. Thanks for all the great advice everybody.

falcongeorge likes this.
  11. this will work but keep your eyes out for the '51-56 backing plates it will be an easy swop, you will just need to add a spacer.
    pictures of your project car?

falcongeorge likes this.
  12. R Pope

R Pope

They are Hucks brakes, the adjuster holes are up by the cylinder. Not as good as the Lockheeds, as I said, but still as good or better than the stock Ford stuff.

13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

There ya go! A couple of well aimed pictures can really clear things up! :)
    Now...I'm interested in running my Chevy spindles on a Ford axle...and this shows without a doubt it can be done. Gonna have to do some homework and comparison I guess... ;)

14. Gofannon

Gofannon

Hartman roadster has Chevy brakes on an A axle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

falcongeorge likes this.

Attached Files:

• 687.JPG
      687.JPG
      File size:
      153.6 KB
      Views:
    • 689.JPG
      689.JPG
      File size:
      167.7 KB
      Views:
    • 681.JPG
      681.JPG
      File size:
      148.6 KB
      Views:
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

dodge engine, ford suspension, chevy brakes, looks like you got all the bases covered

17. Nothing Rambler though......yet.

squirrel likes this.
  18. So we were going to drill my lucky 7 axle to accommodate the thicker chev kingpins but decided against that. Right now, it's mocked up with ford kingpins. Def not drivable! We are going to see about getting two pairs of sleeves to fit the skinnier ford king pin where it meets the larger diameter holed chev spindles. Wonder how much that's going to cost? My advice to all is to just go ford, it's so much easier. That said , it's going to be unique and cool when done.

19. Lucky it's a 7 axle (when you go to bend it) as they are supposed to be forged.

20. I hope so... I'm told I will have to bend it.

21. This will work. 37 to 48 Ford spindles and king pins. Ford or Wilson Welding backing plates. Finned Buick or reproduction 42 to 48 brake drums. Wilson Welding hubs drilled to the desired Chevy bolt pattern.

RICH B likes this.