Register now to get rid of these ads!

A reasonable machine shop in Burbank to rebuild a stock FE?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by thechondro, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Don't need any bells and whistles. Have some new edelbrock stuff on it, aftermarket rockers and need basic block work. Just want it to be good work and worth the money. That's it. Thanks. I want someone who has worked on many FE motors. I don't want to have to go back to the same machine shop twice for the same job they should have done right the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Which shop did you have a bad experience with in the past? Ever talk to Burbank Speed?

3. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

I've had some motorcycle stuff done at Q and E in Anaheim. They do good work and won't rip you off. I believe the guys name is Vince, from what I remember.
    http://qande.com/site/?page_id=248

4. Valley Head Service over in Northridge.

mctim64 likes this.

5. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

Most machine shops should be able to do a FE, if it as Flathead 4 or 8 a Y block or a W I would be really looking closely.
    For all intentions the FE is a modern engine like the Cleveland, Windsor, BBF, BBC and SBC

6. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

You do indeed need a shop who is experienced wth FE's, especially stay away from machinists who are rah-rah Chebbie, as they tend to not care enough to catch and work with the differences. One thing, most FE's don't need a line hone as the factory machining was pretty good, but Chebbie shops tend to want to do it without checking, as Chebbies usually need it, and of course it's more money on the tag

Atwater Mike likes this.
  7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Not in Burbank, but not far away -
    Automotive Balancing in Baldwin Park, near the intersection of the 210 and 605. Been in business a LONG time, same people. Small shop, excellent work.

Mike

8. Never had a bad experience really. But I went to a couple of shops in la and they had never even heard of an FE motor. So I wasn't sure if that was a good place. Maybe it was. But, I don't wanna take the chance

9. Never talked to Burbank speed. I'll give them a call. Will call q and e as well. Actually all these places. Lol. Chebbie. Good to know meangene. And I don't mind driving if it's worth it guys. And sorry for the late response. I'm rarely on here anymore

10. oldolds

oldolds

If they have to deck the block make sure they have the intake. It needs to be worked to match.

11. mikegt4

mikegt4
    from SW Ohio

12. I will do that! Ha. im never on here much anymore. forgot there was one! thank you.

13. Called a couple places. Think I'm gonna check out valley head. Give em a try.

14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a FE but I just had the Flathead done by Dave at BMS in San Bernardino. Small shop and a very knowledgeable guy, easy to deal with, and fair prices IMO. Just a thought in case the other shops don't work out for some reason.
    Telephone : 909 799-7770
    Address : 1904 Riverview Dr., Suite 101 , San Bernardino , CA , USA , 92408
    More info here:
    http://hotrodenginetech.com/perfdir/bms-machine/

16. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

I had Dougan's do all the machine work on my recent Pontiac 421 rebuild, my friend did all the assembly work. Near the end of this thread I show in detail all of the costs, this may help you get an idea of what they typically charge for machining labor:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1964-pontiac-421-ho-engine-build.969317

My friend has taken numerous Pontiac engines to them to have the machine work done, he's the go-to guy in his Pontiac club for engine builds. Dougan's always does great work and they're always willing to work with their customers. They most certainly can do the complete engine rebuild to your specs, no matter what brand.

Dougan's Engine & Machine
    9072 Limonite Ave,
    Riverside, CA 92509
    (951) 681-1961

17. It was in LA off of la cienega near Washington. There’s a target near there. It’s no longer in biz. Forgot the name.

18. Late response. But, I took the motor to Bobs machine shop. I think the city was La crescenta. Cost $4000 to rebuild. Bob gave me higher compression pistons. As he said. Mine that I had didn’t have a lot of power. Put a new regular cam. Valves on the heads were a little loose. The plug in the back for the cam was backwards!! Tore down the whole motor. Painted it and put it all back together. Plus, I needed a new crank! Mine got rusted. So, he put in a nice used one. Bob and staff were really helpful. Got the tranny on. (C-6, which I rebuilt in my transmission class.) now just waiting to plop it in. Just bought a new wiring new harness. Waiting for it in the mail. Got new fuel and brake lines,new gas tank. Still need a new radiator, water pump, and some odds and ends to start her up. But getting sooooo close. Have had the car for like 15 years. And started the restore like 6 or 7 years ago. Finally getting close on at least getting it running. Just need her to run!!!

19. bobss396 likes this.
  20. Read up on Fram oil filters, not exactly the best filter choice in the world. Otherwise the engine looks great!

thechondro likes this.
  21. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

^^^^ Why do people continue to buy these things?!?!? If I look at an supposedly "good running" engine to buy and it has one I walk away.
    SPark

thechondro likes this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wix.
    I've cut them open. Fram and Wix.
    Fram was comical, poorly 'sprung' inside, filter looked like it came thru a paper shredder. "Acme" came to mind. Coyote engineering.
    Wix was 'engineered'. Made sense.

23. It gets worse with Fram filters. They make up one that is sold to places like Walmart, it has a slightly different part number. I put one on my old Chevy wagon, the engine never had a knock on start up until I put a Fram oil filter on it.