Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rock starring on fiber glass fenders

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by pull toy, Aug 11, 2016.

1. pull toy

pull toy

What is the latest preventive fix to avoid starring, I am torn between gluing metal, rubber or coating something under the fender. I know this is an age old problem but a sure durable fix seems to be evasive. Any advise is appreciated.

2. Remove the fenders............problem solved.:D

3. It's a badge of honor, wear it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Seriously, If it looks to be doing that much damage, you may want to consider something like a Line-X type spray on.

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Flex-Seal spray on..

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I've seen a lot of people use rubber undercoat or some sort of bed liner

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

The tread pattern on the tires has a lot to do with the size of the stone coming off the tire. Most people use the Rhino liner. Nothing works 100%

Pat

Special Ed likes this.
  8. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Peel and stick, most people use it for interior sound deadening. Lowe's or the Depot.

Special Ed likes this.
  9. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

A thicker fiberglass fender would be able to take a harder hit without damage. Using the sandwich technique where two layers of fiberglass "skins" are made with a rigid foam or balsa wood core between should be more or less fool proof - the inner layer may get a beating but no movement that coems all the way through to the outer skin should be severe enough to cause damage. (Normally this is done to increase stiffness with a minimal increase in weight.)

Hnstray likes this.
  10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  11. 29moonshine

29moonshine

a good coat of 3m rubber under coat should work , you can paint it after a few weeks if you want

12. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

13. Spray glue and bubble wrap. :)

ClayMart likes this.
  14. jetman

jetman
    from n.c.

Bed liner not cheapest but is best

15. aaggie

aaggie

I also had good results with bed liner. I masked them off and had them sprayed, it did double the weight since the Rhino stuff is about 1/4" thick.

16. jimdillon

jimdillon

It is very common on Corvettes. I have used 3M Body Schutz for years with success. You can buy a body schutz gun for $15 and it sprays easily. Corvettes used something similar from the factory in portions of the wheelwells and under the fenders. Plus the advantage is that it is removable without a bunch of effort with a heat gun if need be. You can double up the application if you feel the need.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. One of the magazines, most likely Rod&Custom or Street Rodder, tested the spray-in bed liners about 15 years ago... They sprayed a certain thickness, then shot the fender with a BB gun. Anyone remember that article?

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

First off stars will occur on metal as well as glass fenders. The best product I've ever used was sheets of rubber you glued on the bottoms of the fenders and running boards manufactured by a company called Star Blocker.

Gary

da34guy likes this.
  19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since when does having 'glass fenders make you a rock star? Might have to rethink my build...:cool:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. Yep it happens on steel fenders too and my Ol' Man said it showed the difference between a car that gets driven and a show car.

Chuck Craig and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. pull toy

pull toy

Got a lot of good input here, I see some I really like. Thanks so much