Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects new member. watch me section my Desoto.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rytang, Jun 29, 2016.

1. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Thanks! I'm actually known for tattooing, not building cars. All of my work is on my Instagram if anyone wants to see. @ry_tang_tattooer

2. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Maybe you could post some shots of what you're struggling with. Lots of experienced folks watching this thread. Great job, keep going.

rytang likes this.
  3. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

I've got most of it figured out... The part I'm struggling with is mounting it to the car. I tacked bolts from the inside (under the lense) to bolt to the car from the inside... But the top and bottom bolts were too much at an angle... I couldn't get them off. So I've got to try and make another holder that mounts different. (I was using the stock mounting holes and that's where I had the problem) just sucks when you spend a couple days on something and you end up throwing it away.

RockinRivi, Dino 64 and '51 Norm like this.
  4. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I hear you, but you're very talented and I'm sure you'll figure it out. Can't wait to see some pics

rytang likes this.
  5. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

I can't wait either lol

6. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

I'm almost wondering if I should do a full build thread on these 56 lights, and what I have to do to get them to work? There really isn't much info on doing it... And no good photos.

7. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead

More info is always a good thing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

8. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

How about fabricating a curved tab on the back of the taillight housing to slip into a slot in the body? Then you could bolt it in from behind (at the top). Or put the tab at the top and the bolt at the bottom. Whichever works easier.

9. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Passenger side done. 20160806_180546-1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  10. hasty

hasty

It would be nice to see a wider shot to see how it blends into the lines of the whole car.
    Fantastic work by the way - really enjoying your thread.

rytang likes this.
  11. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Thank you. Once I finish the metal work, and both taillights... I'll put the bumper back on and put it on the ground and get some good photos, I promise.

kidcampbell71 and RockinRivi like this.
  12. hasty

hasty

Thank you!

rytang likes this.
  13. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Yep I like it !

Hudson31, volvobrynk and rytang like this.
  14. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

15. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

16. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

None tonight. Hopefully I'll have time to work on it tomorrow.

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That might change now, you might be equally famous for your car work at some day, because that to is kick ass

rytang, tb33anda3rd and Dog_Patch like this.
  18. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Thank you!! That would be cool to have a famous car lol. I'll be happy if people just don't laugh at me when I pull in! Haha

19. I have seen this before; a true artist is very good at more than just one form of art. You have the ability to do tattooing art and metal sculpture. Do you play music too?

20. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

My father is the musician, but I paint too :)

21. dave plmley

dave plmley

No disrespect with the chicken remark, we all have different tastes. I admire your skills as a builder, you're doing a great job, I will follow this thread to the end, take care, Dave

chryslerfan55 and rytang like this.
  22. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

You would not believe how hard it is to get a photo in my garage...
    I got the drivers side made and mounted (done except I didn't put the bulbs in... I have to modify the bulb sockets before they correctly take the bulb, and I'm tired)
    Next I'll finish up metal work around taillights, fit the bumper... Again, then I'm putting it on the ground to see how it looks!!
    After all that... I need to figure out how to make this rear pan/apron... I'm wanting to mold the bumper, with the metal work around the bumper. (Any helpful links?)
    Hopefully after I get all that taken care, I can move onto these cool antennas I got! (But I'm already looking at the wheel opening... Wanting some changes there too... Maybe?

Ps installing Lee Lenses in a '56 Chevy bezel... Is not a good time. (I'm wanting to rebuild the passenger side, for a 4th time... Because I really figured out how to do it by the time I made the drivers side.) 20160809_183019.jpg And thank you everyone who takes the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading what everyone has to say. Good or bad. I love everyone's ideas as well!

23. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

You're keeping the stock grille, yes? What are your plans for the headlights? I assume you have a similarly funky plan for that end of the car, too!

rytang and Sancho like this.
  24. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

I'm definitely keeping the stock grill. The head lights will have to match somehow... I'm not exactly sure what I'm gonna do... But I have a couple ideas in my head... I do know I'm gonna have to build everything lol

25. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Wow. Great work, and with a kind of different subject than most. Subscribed for sure.

rytang likes this.
  26. I've always liked the way 56 Olds headlights look .

rytang likes this.
  27. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

What about some dual headlights mounted diagonal, similar to '62 chryslers, but you could add a cool chromed surround of your design. Maybe add some machining or ripples that would match or compliment other trim or parts of the car

volvobrynk and rytang like this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

You have been doing just fine with out advice.........................PLEASE keep on listening to yourself. Bob

RockinRivi, Poh, ehdave and 1 other person like this.
  29. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Thank you. But it's still nice to see how others have done it. If anyone knows of any threads or photos of guys molding/frenching their bumper splash pan/apron please please show me! I've seen hundreds painted and done... I wanna see how they built it!

Ford52PU and redneckgearhead like this.