Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest old farts over 70

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rainhater1, Feb 23, 2010.

1. k9racer

k9racer

I will be 70 my NEXT birthday and my driver license will need to be renewed . I am more active than most of my younger friends who are in their 30 to 50 year range..

2. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

my old friend the late great sprint car champion, Joe Sostilio once told me that the secret to stay
    young was to hang around with younger guys.

3. donno

donno

Well, I'm 74 and building a 48 Merc to go with my 46 Ford and my ladies 57 Pontiac. Don't Golf or watch sports. No longer hunt or fish, need projects to stay occupied and healthy.

4. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I'll be 77 in two months. My high school car was a flat head 34 sedan. That was 1956. Fast forward --- Have put 68k miles on my '37 sedan since I got it on the road in 1990. And the last time I went to the drags we started with flags!!!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  5. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Please re write your original post...using LARGE script so I can read it..
    Also write it slowly, as I don't read very fast..
    Yep Over 70 here..

6. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

He's not a computer guy but my friend, Jack Carpenter, is 90 and still driving the Willys "roadster pickup" he built in the 50's out of parts he found around 29 Palms, CA .....

Jack.jpg .....

302GMC and olcurmdgeon like this.
  7. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

78 tomorrow. Building a hemi P/U roadster right now but got a little tired with the body work so started a fun project. Restoring (kinda ) a 1963 motorscooter. Having a ball. You got to keep busy and creative.

Copper Top likes this.
  8. well,its been a few years since this thread was started..So now I'm at 83 and still into Hotrods and customs,,

9. chopped

chopped

Thought lung cancer would keep me from 70, screw that. Two years clear and counting. Back on the 55. Yard drove a couple weeks ago.

Attached Files:

Copper Top likes this.
  10. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

An elderly old man once told me "As I am you will be, as you are I once was", Damn he was right. Where in the hell did the time go, hope I had fun.

11. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Remember ; we're not "OLD"; we're "CLASSICS"!!

wicarnut likes this.
  12. LAROKE

LAROKE

I'm 66 but my friend, Hank, is at least 85 and he is on his way back to South Florida from the show in Louisville, driving his '36 Ford Phaeton, at this moment. That guy is one of my inspirations whenever I start to wimp out.

13. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

"He's not a computer guy but my friend, Jack Carpenter, is 90 and still driving the Willys "roadster pickup" he built in the 50's out of parts he found around 29 Palms, CA .....". Damn, a new hero for me!!!! Thanks Bulletnose for another icon to inspire me. Pushing 74 here, cancer survivor, two lungs full of asbestos from submarine patrols, and a wife that has to have 24/7 care, but I still drive my 40 and have a good time. And that's all that counts. I don't give a fig who likes the car or doesn't, don't do those stupid "line up in rows by class" shows anymore. Old guys like us get to set our rules and tell the world to piss off. And we are the heart of this hobby. Was watching a video of the Milltown 2016 car show last weekend posted by Spiker and as he panned the crowd it looked like the old folks home just let out for recess! I know there are lots of younger guys out there especially on the HAMB but the gray hair contingent has them beat in sheer numbers if you ask my damn opinion.

Copper Top, 47ragtop, clunker and 3 others like this.
  14. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

Be pushing 73 in a couple of months. We still do the rod shows and cruises, but not so often. No a/c or heater in the coupe. We just cruise mostly in spring and fall. A couple of years ago we drove to the Gulf of Mexico in our hotrod. 2600 miles round trip. Had a blast. We live a long way from anywhere, so the first 100 miles really dont count. Our car is in the avatar.

olcurmdgeon likes this.
  15. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

I'll be 75 November 1st, still driving my Buick Wagon and enjoying life. Been a Charter member of the Over the Hill Gang San Bernardino for over 43 years. Once you get bit by the car bug there no going back!!!!

16. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I didn't qualify for this exalted group when this thread started, but (holy shit!) I do now...

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Good news Skip, didn't know about your battle with the big C, but I'm glad you kicked it in the ass!
    Still playing with cars and I'll be 79 in about 3 months, and planning on racing my roadster, BGII at RWYB in Reynolds GA @ Silver Dollar Raceway on Oct.29.
    Just gonna run the 1/8, because the car is sorta short on roll bars, etc., and I'm getting a little smarter in my old age. If I can figger out the logistics, gonna bring my '40 Ford coupe also, just to add another hot rod to the show, doubt I'll run it.

18. Król

Król

Been a car nut since 14 yrs old. At 72 not giving up yet, building a 250 Chevy I6 powered 1936 Chevy pickup truck. Need to keep brain exercised.

19. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Here are my trainers and they have socks older than me... THE 4 AMIGOS 2015 019.JPG

olcurmdgeon likes this.
  20. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thinking that when you are a car nut, it never goes away, age and health issues might change how you participate, But the passion/car/addiction never stops AND most importantly it gets you up and out, everyone I know that sat and did nothing did not live long in their retirement and bitched about being bored,we are the Lucky people as we found and enjoy our passion/cars.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  21. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Wicarnut, you're right about getting moving and enjoying our hobby. Something new to do every day.

LOU WELLS and wicarnut like this.
  22. Going on '74, added this to my '29 A to help me get around at shows get togethers and swap meets IMG_6075.JPG

23. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

73 in 2 months, try to get a couple hours in the shop every day. Here's how it sits
    now, doing the final body work.

DSC01437.JPG

LOU WELLS likes this.
  24. I love all you old farts. Watch out we're catching up quick!

wicarnut likes this.
  25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I had something to say but I can't remember what. Maybe after my nap.

wicarnut likes this.
  26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I considered doing the same thing willbe, but found out about the new class of mobility scooters called "travel scooters" and then started watching Craig's List for them. Found an almost new one only about 30 miles from home and bought it for less than half price.
    It disassembles into 5 pieces, none of which exceed 30# weight, and it fits easily in the trunk of my '40 Ford coupe. Haven't tried it yet, but I belive that if I also utilize the passenger seat and right side of floor, it will also fit in my '31"A" hiboy. The thing isn't as fast as my big scooter like yours, and has a shorter range, but it is fine for cruise ins and swap meets where the area is smooth or paved.
    I kept my bigger scooter to use for events such as Steel in Motion, where there's some rough ground and longer distances involved.
    I use my truck and car hauler trailer for those overnight, camping type events with drag racing involved, so that I can mount my slicks at home, and haul all my gear, including the bigger scooter and an aluminum ramp from Harbor Freight.
    Just be careful in buying used scooters to get the charger and that it has good batteries, as they are expensive.

willbe likes this.
  27. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Sorry I can't reply to this thread , as I won't 70 until November.

28. 20 days away. But who's counting?
    Just wish my body was still as sharp as my mind.

"Youth is wasted on the young!"

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  29. wicarnut

wicarnut

Be Nice To Old people, One Day YOU Will Be Old ! It Happens Much Faster Than You Think ! Scary Fast ! AND we love all you youngsters (punk kids) LOL

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  30. Wonder why I didn't see this thread when it first came around 6 years ago? Probably because my 16 year old mind passed it by as non compatible. Coming on 73 in a few months but that is just chronological;my mind is still 16. Beginning to realize I can't do the things I took for granted back then. Striping a Deuce roadster the other day(all original and thankfully still in pieces)was having some issues getting the lower stripe along the rocker but finally made it.
    This pic was taken last spring when I was working on a 1903 Curved Dash Olds. Easy to get into these positions;a bit more difficult to extract myself. 1903CurvedDashOldsDay2 005.jpg

willbe and LOU WELLS like this.