Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 235 valve cover questions???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dimebag, Dec 5, 2009.

1. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

2. ragtop35

ragtop35

My full pressure 235 with a two bolt McGurk Valve Cover

Attached Files:

• 163.jpg
      163.jpg
      File size:
      394.2 KB
      Views:
  3. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Well after too damn many phone calls between Patrick"s and the machine shop we have a winner, it's a first addition full pressure 235. And Patrick himself told me to jump or he was gonna drive out to Illinois to pick it up himself.....finally a good ending to a bad day!!! Just in case anybody is curious the casting is 3835911, and its all brand new inside, I guess there really is a Santan Claus!!!

4. 6inarow

6inarow

here is one we had engraved

Attached Files:

5. lowdown

lowdown

So what is the easiest way of telling a splash 235 apart from a full pressure 235? i know my head is a 53 235 head (3701887) but havent checked the block numbers(dont really know were they are).
    Brad

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Look at the driver side of the engine block. Is there a (more or less) triangular tin plate held down by three screws, roughly at the midway point? If so, it's a babbit pounder. If not, you've got the "modern" engine.

7. hotdamn

hotdamn

When I rebuilt my 54 235 I decided to go with a 216 center bolt style valve cover because I had already blown my budget and everyone has a wayne...

That said one day if I scrape some bread together I will definately get a no name from 6inarow as those are a sweet piece:)

just some advice though, if you are going to use a 216 valve cover on a 235 head get the center bolts off of another motor in a junk yard or something...

there are tons of junk 216's that you can rob.

I have a had bad issues with stripping out the center bolts that you get from patricks or national.

I will say that everything else I have gotten from Patricks has been golden.

so not a dig on them but those bolts were kinda chinese chincy...

Attached Files:

8. X-Farmboy

X-Farmboy

Are these valve covers still available from 6inarow or anywhere else? Trying to figure out how to PM 6inarow on the new HAMB.....

9. Unfortunately no, he only did one run and they sold out. To PM him you click on his name under his avatar and then start a conversation with him once his profile comes up.

10. X-Farmboy

X-Farmboy

Thanks for the info K13 !

I would like to buy a nice aluminum valve cover for a 235.... Suggestions?

11. redleg175

redleg175
    from Holyoke MA

Have a 53 Chev Business Coupe with a 235 Does anyone know the thread size of the two hold down nuts on the valve cover? I have had it since 1969 and just getting to restore it. A good retirement project. Dano

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3/8"x24 thread. You can use Y-Block tapered valve cover nuts also.

13. redleg175

redleg175
    from Holyoke MA

Thanks, I did find the answer on another forum and could only find the standard nut [25 cents a piece] and not the acorn or wing nut unless a BOX of 10 was ordered from NAPA for $16. A hardware store had the right size nut and washer.