Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Earliest Willys Racecars

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by elgringo71, Jul 2, 2016.

1. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

All great shots of early Willys racers!
    Although mine is a Glass' car I'm trying to build an Ole' Time look...
    Another labor of love!

Attached Files:

2. elgringo71

elgringo71

jay t looked at his program from the nationals in 1955 but unfortunately it didn't have a list of racers like the 1956 program.

image.jpeg

AHotRod, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  3. elgringo71

elgringo71

The Marrs Boys
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

AHotRod, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  4. I don't believe this car was Al Tschida's. Recall an earlier thread which stated that this car had an early demise and included a photo of the remains stuffed into a pickup bed. The paint treatment and color are however, close to the Triad/Antelope Speed Shop car.[/QUOTE]

Delray57
    I never said that was a Al Tschida car. The person who posted the picture said he didn't have any info on it and I stated that kewikev would know some. Also I've stated in other threads the TRIAD land co. car was owned by Al's brother in law NOT Al Tschida. Al had a lot to do with it before and during Bill Mitchell owning it. Also they both drove it. When Al was driving, it had #331 on the Windows. When Bill "Mitch " Mitchell was driving, it had #332 in the windows. There will be a story coming out soon in Gasser Wars magazine about Al and the Triad car history soon. That's why it was in the Gasser Wars magazine booth at the meltdown drags a few weeks ago.

AHotRod, loudbang and elgringo71 like this.
  5. elgringo71

elgringo71

Jack Kulp from Pennsylvania

image.jpeg

mad mikey, 41 coupe and loudbang like this.
  6. elgringo71

elgringo71

33_willys_77, Thanks for keeping me straight on the facts on the Antilope Valley car. I edited my post.

It looks like the paint job might have been inspired by the Antilope Valley car. Too bad that the Brown Nitsche and Dyer car was destroyed

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  7. delray57

delray57

33_
    Delray57
    I never said that was a Al Tschida car. The person who posted the picture said he didn't have any info on it and I stated that kewikev would know some. Also I've stated in other threads the TRIAD land co. car was owned by Al's brother in law NOT Al Tschida. Al had a lot to do with it before and during Bill Mitchell owning it. Also they both drove it. When Al was driving, it had #331 on the Windows. When Bill "Mitch " Mitchell was driving, it had #332 in the windows. There will be a story coming out soon in Gasser Wars magazine about Al and the Triad car history soon. That's why it was in the Gasser Wars magazine booth at the meltdown drags a few weeks ago.[/QUOTE]
    Sorry, I meant no offense in my post. I have been very interested in this thread because Al Tschida was a hero for me in the 60's as he could handle a 4-speed in a drag car like no one else I knew. As important to me, Bill Mitchell was a personal friend. We grew up in adjacent small towns in Minnesota and partnered (along with another friend) on the 55 Chevy D/Gasser in my avatar. A little earlier in this thread, I related the story about borrowing the helmet from Al at MN Dragway. The person who borrowed it was Bill Mitchell who as you related later married Al's sister. I subsequently moved to the east coast and Bill moved to the west coast so we lost touch. This thread has taken me back to great times of the 60's. Thanks for the heads up on the upcoming Gasser Wars magazine article on the Triad car. I just subscribed for a year so I don't miss it!

loudbang and elgringo71 like this.
  8. elgringo71

elgringo71

Bert Lollar from Tulsa Oklahoma. I heard that he made a West Coast Swing and did very well. I think that he ran a big bored and stroked olds.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

mad mikey, 41 coupe and loudbang like this.
  9. elgringo71

elgringo71

1934coupe, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  10. elgringo71

elgringo71

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  11. elgringo71

elgringo71

12. elgringo71

elgringo71

This coupe was from Georia and was destroyed in a racing accident image.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  13. elgringo71

elgringo71

I believe that this is Ken Dondero that went on to drive the Panella Brothers Anglia. He frequently beat automatic cars shifting a 4 speed. Correction this is John Dondero

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
  14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This '36 sedan underwent many changes in the 60's. It belonged to a couple of my friends, John Anderson and Chet Thomas, out of Portland, Oregon. The first pic is from '60-'61 when it had and injected Pontiac under the hood. Mid-60's the change to a glass '33 front end and SBC engine. In the later 60's the duo teamed up with AA/FD racer Jim Barnard, installing his early Chrysler, and moving up to AA/FA. Chet did the driving, In the 7's @ 190 ! The "Assassin" had quite a career. A-1.jpg A-3.jpg A-4.jpg A-8.jpg A-9.jpg

1947knuck, Rathbone, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  15. elgringo71

elgringo71

That was very fast. Thanks for posting Marty, I had never seen that one before.

Do you know anything about the Smeds' Willys? It was from the Pacific Northwest. It also says Jack Frost on it.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jack Frost, owned and drove the car, John Smeds (pronounced Smeeds), was a partner in the building and tuning. They ran both small and big block Chevys, even match raced on Fuel ! Jack was a real "Showman" and a fun guy to be around. Frost 10.jpg Jack Frost (Willys).jpg

17. AHotRod

AHotRod

Good reading and pictures.....

18. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Jim Clinton HRM July of '62
    Scan.jpg
    Scan0003.jpg

19. elgringo71

elgringo71

Marty what can you tell us about this one. I think that it was also from the Pacific Northwest

image.jpeg

20. elgringo71

elgringo71

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  21. elgringo71

elgringo71

Here is a 33 that was also owned by Elvern "Al" Pfeifer

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    Rathbone, mad mikey, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  22. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

BradinNC likes this.
  23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That Willys belonged to Ed Smith from Vancouver, John Smeds was involved with it as well. It was Pontiac powered and the main A/G competition for the "Assassin" early on. It was sold to Chuck Tiller from Portland around 1964, and Chuck ran a high RPM SBC, along with the Exhaust Specialties sponsorship .Here is a shot from later in the 60's of Chuck racing my old friend Larry Kalsch in his Cammer powered T-Bird. Chuck always ran it on the edge ! Kalsch- Tiller.jpg

24. elgringo71

elgringo71

I believe that this one still survives and is called the Suicide Ride today image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  25. elgringo71

elgringo71

Does anyone know when Jack Coonrod started racing his 1934 Willys?

image.jpeg

mad mikey and Dean Lowe like this.
  26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jack Coonrod and Wayne Harry joined forces in 1964, racing Wayne's '36 pickup with Jack's Chrysler engine. They built and started racing the coupe around 1965. Jack went back east to tour in 66 & 67, or that's what I remember. In 1986 at the Fremont "Nostalgia Nationals", he made his return to racing with the same car. The coupe had been through about 4 owners, raced by Twig Ziegler, Chuck Byrd, and Bob Smith.

27. elgringo71

elgringo71

Marty, Thanks for the information on Coonrod and Harry. I will tell my dad, he talks about that car and used to follow it in the magazines in the 60s. Are there any more early Willys that you can tell us about?

28. Great pics and great info-history, thanks guys. Keep it coming!

loudbang and Speed Gems like this.
  29. elgringo71

elgringo71

I don't know anything about this one

image.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  30. earlymopar

earlymopar

I hadn't seen this old NW favorite, the Homeyer Cleaners Willys. Flathead powered and a lot of fun to watch.

- EM

Attached Files:

elgringo71 likes this.