Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spark Plug Wires - Standard vs HEI

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64impala, Aug 5, 2016.

1. 64impala

64impala

I'm replacing my Mallory distributor cap and rotor (Old ones worn out) on a HEI ignition.
    When I received my new units, my old 8mm Taylor Pro Wire set don't seem to fit the new cap, its as if Mallory changed the specs to only fit or better fit there wire sets.
    So, it appears I'll have to purchase a new set of spark plug wires/coil wire.

Question: Do I have to purchase a specific "HEI" wire set or will a "Standard" (non hei) set also work? What's the difference in the sets?

Make: Chevorolet
    Year: 1965
    Model: Impala
    Engine: 327ci
    Ignition: Mallory HEI

2. squirrel

squirrel

If you post some pictures of what you are working on, we can tell you better. The GM HEI distributors, which mostly showed up starting in 1975, use a male terminal, size and shape like the terminal on a spark plug. The older non-HEI distributor cap has female terminals. So, there's a big difference, and the HEI does take special wires.

But I have no idea what your Mallory HEI thing is. Post a picture of yours, or the part number, or something

3. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Here is a picture of a HEI style cap and a Points style cap. An Inny and an Outty if you will. The points style the wire end goes into the HEI style the (MSD) wire end goes over. You can just change the wire ends to whatever it is you need. Or order a Mallory cap with the correct style you need. I believe they are both still made. Joe

images.jpg 41xsoXZxItL__AC_UL320_SR278,320_.jpg

carolinakid likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

Although MSD owns Mallory now, and Holley owns MSD, so who knows what you have...?????

5. 64impala

64impala

ok, this is what I'm running. The old Mallory parts are at least 15 years old, including the "Taylor" spark plug wires.

The question was: Why doesn't the old sparkplug wire set fit the new Mallory Cap/Rotor?
    All I did was order new Mallory cap/rotor to replace the old, nothing has changed.
    I wondering if Mallory changed their cap specs so that I'm forced to use their wire sets!

MALLORY PARTS:
    Distributor: 4748201 C.A.R.B. E.O: D-70-9
    Coil: 29440
    Optic Module Spike Filter: 29351

Attached Files:

6. squirrel

squirrel

that should use a stock wire set, but who knows...maybe if you take a picture of the part you actually have in front of you, and are trying to get wires to fit, we could help?

oldsjoe and saltflats like this.
  7. 64impala

64impala

ok, here we go!

Original cap and wire(s) on left, new cap on right.
    The old wires fit snug on the old cap, but are to loose on the new exact same cap!
    I'm guessing the best way to solve this is to take the new cap into a parts store, bust open a few
    spark plug wire sets and determine which fits properly.
    I presume I should stick to an "HEI" wire set, or is this not true?
    What's the big difference in a "Standard" and "HEI" set?

Attached Files:

8. 64impala

64impala

From 2010 "Tech" article:

"If you are running a bone stock car on the street as a daily commuter then the OEM carbon core wires are probably fine. Any upgrades in performance, especially in the fuel or ignition system would require Spiral type wires. Solid core wires will work fine for carbureted race car with condenser points or magneto type ignition systems."

9. squirrel

squirrel

That cap does NOT take HEI wires.

fwiw, I have an old Mallory dual point dist that uses that cap, and I have the cheapest, most generic stock replacement plug wires for a 66 Chevy 427. On the blown 427 in my 9 second car. I guess I don't' read the right ads? :)

oldsjoe, BobMcD and saltflats like this.
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Okay did you not say you changed caps?
    I don't see the difference.
    You have to pull the boot back then engage the wire end and slip the boot down to it.

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Now why would you want anything else.

12. upspirate

upspirate

Can you reach into the boot and spread the little prong to make the wires fit tighter? The holes maybe larger as they use larger diameter wires now days (8MM instead of 7 MM I think):confused:

13. upspirate

upspirate

I know when I changed my wires and looms, the looms were loose on the old style smaller wires

14. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Those caps look the same to me. Do as upspirate suggests. Or are you saying the boot is too large or small? Joe

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]

With so much stuff not being made at the original factory anymore. Is it any wonder ? I see it even without using one of these..... [​IMG]

16. greybeard360

greybeard360

The distributor you have is a Unilite.... Not an HEI

Should accept standard wires. Measure the diameter of the towers. You might answer your question if the new ones are smaller in diameter.

Sent from my LG-H343 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app