Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Making floorboards

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by drew1987, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Alger

Alger
    from Sacto

Here are some photos of my hopped up HF bead roller, and I'm super cheap so bought a used bead roller on Craigslist and cobbled everything else together. It works great for 18g steel. I used a sewing machine pedal to control the speed.

Matt in Sacto

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  2. 51box

51box
    from MA

You basically need to brace across the back like this but any material you have laying around tube, angle, box will work. This is just a cheap one and works great now. Also wheels in place of the handle makes operating it smoother. image.jpeg image.jpeg

gimpyshotrods and slack like this.
  3. drew1987

drew1987

rottenleonard likes this.
  4. drew1987

drew1987

I started digging through that Packard Resto. Oh my Lord that's a project! And he is even making hidden parts identical to factory.

So is there a way to curve 90° bends like you would with a shrinker/stretcher without one? It's like a $200 investment, I realize, but I'd like to learn to do it without one

Member:
    Rochester Street Rods - Est. 1970 http://www.rochesterstreetrods.org
    CrossMembers Car Club - Hebrews 12:2 http://www.crossmemberscc.com

5. theastronaut

theastronaut

That's my project... I've sprouted a few more grey hairs since starting it.

For shrinking by hand you can build a tuck-shrinking fork made from line-up punches (cheap and easy to find st Sears). Use the fork to make "tucks", then hammer the tucks flat to shrink the metal. There is info on making those in the Packard build thread. I also posted pics of a set of modified vice grips that can be used to create smaller and repeatable/uniform tucks that will help make a uniform curve.

You can stretch metal by simply hammering it on top of a dolly, vice, thick steel plate, etc. Essentially you are "squeezing" the metal outward between the hammer face and the hard backing surface. You can achieve more efficient stretching to form a curved flange by using a linear stretch die so the metal is only stretched in one direction. There is a pic of a linear stretch die I made for my planishing hammer in the Packard thread as well. You could make a similar hand held die by reshaping the tip of a dulled chisel. Adjusting the radius of the tip will make the tool more or less aggressive. A rounder tip will shape quicker but leave deeper tooling marks.

nightmoves likes this.
  6. Another way is to make a Buck, spring the part around and use some heat and body hammer to work the wrinkles out. For sheet metal it goes pretty smoothly.
    Here is the Buck and part I made for a hidden flange on my wheel wells. The tube is 1/2" X 1" X .063.

7. Photo didn't follow. I'll try again. Body work 010.jpg Body work 009.jpg Body work 012.jpg
    That worked. The Wizzard

8. drew1987

drew1987

9. Sinister Sleds

Sinister Sleds
    from Gloucester

Chasing or corking is the term you want research. Depending on the pattern you can use strips of steel, cut sheet metal in the shape you want, MDF and wood. These can be made into simple or elaborate shapes.

uploadfromtaptalk1470627606477.jpeg uploadfromtaptalk1470627647729.jpeg

1st pic was made with an aluminum male and female die.

2nd pic wad a piece of round metal taped in position.

Once shape is located tap with a rubber mallet and the shape is raised. Then chase the shape with a piece of hardwood or dulled chisel.

uploadfromtaptalk1470627842742.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

10. drew1987

drew1987

That is really cool. I want to start messing with this asap. I have a dogleg between one of my rear doors and its neighboring wheel arch that is rotted. I've been thinking for a while about seeing how far the rot goes and replacing it but I have been hesitant. This all helps. For that job a shrinker/stretch my be helpful though.

When you guys grind welds for body work, are you using an angle grinder? Didn't it take forever? I usually use a high speed wheel but it isnt pretty

Member:

11. drew1987

drew1987

IF ADMIN SEES THIS AND FEELS SO INCLINED, perhaps we should rename the thread "making body panels" as it has morphed into something broader/better than just floor board questions

Member:

12. theastronaut

theastronaut

I use a cut-off wheel with three discs stacked to knock down the top of the welds, the switch to a 3" 90* pnuematic grinder with a 36 grit disc. If it's an outer panel I'll finish off with 80 grit disc, then 60 grit on a DA sander to get it smooth.

13. Good controlled quality welds mean little build up. I generally just use my body files to knock them down. Way better control than using a grinder. Just welded solid 004.jpg Not bad; 001.jpg

The Wizzard

14. swissmike

swissmike

15. drew1987

drew1987

swissmike likes this.
  16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

like your style there bud

17. nunattax

nunattax