Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy in-liners; Sprint 6 manifolds on 230 head?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Canada Jeff, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

I have a '64 230 straight 6 in my '50 Chevy and I'm wondering if intake and exhaust manifolds from the Pontiac Sprint 6 motor will fit on the Chevy head?

I've read both yes and no in various places, but I'm hoping to hear from someone who had actually tried it. Even if it's not a direct bolt-up but can be "made to work" - what needs to be done?

Thanks in advance!

2. Joe H

Joe H

The overhead cam parts will not fit, including the manifolds. They are much longer then the standard Chevy.

3. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

now, i was told years ago that the sprint stuff did fit--oh, well. about the only "stock" performance manifold i know of for the chevy six is the truck manifold with 2-1/2" outlet.

4. 1pickup

1pickup

Clifford Research lists the exhaust manifold gaskets for the Chevy, as a different part # than the Pont. Pretty sure that sums it up.

5. ...there are aftermarket headers, both tube and cast iron, for you motor..

6. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

Bump. Any other knowledgable opinions out there? Sounds like it's a "no" but as usual, there's a hint of "yes" in the mix. I'd love to hear a definitive yes or no from someone who has tried it before I sink money into rare parts that may not work.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.

7. moparbrh

moparbrh

I put a Fenton 2 pc header on my 53' 235. It definitely helped it flow better

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

8. Joe H

Joe H

NO, Pontiac parts will not fit.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Comparing the gaskets it sure doesn't look like it will work.
    250 Six
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sprint six

Ol Deuce likes this.
  10. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

Hmm, yeah it's sure looking like a no-go. That's too bad.

The 235 and the later 230 are different animals and those cast Fenton jobbies won't fit my head (same with the multi carb intakes for the 235). I know there are tube headers available for this motor, but I really wanted to keep the exhaust gas heat riser to heat the intake. I know there are water heat adapter kits, but a cast factory dual exhaust manifold seemed like the simplest solution to several problem if it fit.

Ah well. Now I know. And knowing is half the battle!