Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 3W Coupe Lakes Racer-Thrash for TROG West

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-cal Tex, Jul 26, 2016.

1. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Thanks Mayor Dennis..........as you can tell I do like the Bones style and built the car to eventually run along with the Circus to Bonneville.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It looks really killer! I am glad this thing is going to have a shot at racing again and pay homage to it's former guise. Great job!!! I wish I could make it to Pismo.

3. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I submitted my race entry for TROG Pismo yesterday on 7/31 that last day that applications would be accepted...........We will see if Bobby and Mel like the car enough to let it race again on the beach! 20160730_152915.jpg

4. brady1929

brady1929

What an incredible hot rod!

5. sr

sr
    from Monterey

Awesome coupe! I hope you get to go racing!

6. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Nice coupe but I don't wonder how much nicer it would have been with a deep gloss black paint job as the dentist would more than likely kept on it. Body looks nice enough that it would have taken it with minor work after the repairs were done. They did a nice job for sure either way. :)

7. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Very cool car! Do you have some pictures or could give more details on that rear suspension setup?

8. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Yes, the rear suspension is a flattened '40 cross member with a stock '40 rear spring hung on '36 rear wishbones on a '34 rear end converted to open drive. I think it sits nice!

I have planned to make it gloss black but we ran out of time to for the TROG event so it will be semi-gloss for a while

9. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

It does sit great! How did you terminate the front of the radius rods?

10. silverdome

silverdome

I think it is perfect with the reverse chop and the rake.

11. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I used 4 bar ends, which are basically beefy threaded ends welded to the end of the '36 Bones and mount to the lower X member plate with 4 tabs welded on to the bottom of the plate.

12. I submitted my entry a week ago (Mon Jul 25) and they said "full up" no more cars. I wish you best of luck, if you do get in then they must not like me. o_O

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  13. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

We will see, I heard through the grapevine they want more cars with history so maybe that will play into my favor.

14. Well if they do not let it in it will be there loss as it is a great car....Well done my friend.
    5 more sleeps and we are off to the salt!

mctim64 likes this.
  15. It's not to late to join in with us........hint, hint

16. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Very cool car.

17. Brom

Brom

Truly a wonderful car man. Everything screams cool. Good luck!

18. alchemy

alchemy

Pretty sure I saw on Bobby's Instagram that they were full. But if any car deserves to be there it's a car with history. I believe you have the same old coupe, so good luck with it man.

19. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Thanks Everyone for all your support, I have not gotten a NO yet from Bobby and Mel so I am continuing to button up little items in anticipation that it gets accepted.

Paul likes this.
  20. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Great story line! I like the car and hope you get to run it as planned or join up with 383 Deuce and the boys for a run to the salt.

21. AZ_Nick

AZ_Nick

I have not heard back either way on my entry either. Heck, I didn't even get a confirmation they received it. Hoping for the best for both of us!

22. Great looking car!. Seems kind of ridiculous to me to set a deadline for entries but then fill all the spots before the deadline comes up.

heavydumper and mctim64 like this.
  23. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Boy's there are only so many entries in Indy, and only so many in TROG

24. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I definitely will be taking Mayor Dennis and the Rolling Bones crew up on their offer to run to the salt in 2017 ( weather permitting they have an event), my goal has been to make that bucket list trip with this old coupe.

25. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I am running a 5W dash in my car because it is what I have and when the right deal on 3W dash shows up I can swap them out , did not get much done today except I finished up the dash cluster using a piece of old aluminum scuffed with 220 grit I had left over from another project and couple of swap meet SW black face gauges, I think less is more in Race car and this what someone on a limited budget in the late '40s would have done especially if an Auburn dash was out of reach like it is for me.
    32 3w dash.jpg

Just welded a couple of tabs to the back on the dash and 2 1/4 bolts hold it snug in place, simple!
    32 3w dash back side.jpg

mctim64 likes this.
  26. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

27. I'm a truck guy, but I gotta say, Hot Damn!
    Great car

28. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Today's progress was a push bar for the coupe, the bracket looks like it is going fast standing still....
    Push Bar 1.jpg

20160813_121924_resized.jpg

Push Bar 2.jpg

brEad, Graham Hood, flatnasty and 3 others like this.
  29. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

Everything about that push bar I like! I want/need one pretty bad