Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paint Prep Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pila38, Aug 3, 2016.

1. pila38

pila38

Hey guys,
    Getting ready to paint the rear end housing in my truck. I put some cheap red oxide primer on it when I first welded everything up just to protect the metal while I moved to a new house. I'll be using Extreme Chassis Black as a color, but it needs epoxy primer as a base for proper adhesion. So, I'm using a wire wheel to remove the red oxy and bring it back down to bare metal. Question is...is the wire wheel enough to abrade the surface for the epoxy primer, or should I sand it with 80-180 grit before priming? Thanks in advance for the advice.
    Eric

2. Mudgy

Mudgy

maybe..... is it worth brushing on some POR 15 or similar? Instead of spraying it twice? tough stuff. Just a thought.
    Cheers, Mudgy

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

but POR doesn't like clean metal. I put it on clean metal on my frame and it peels off in sheets. Theres a way to make it stick... but I was in a hurry and didn't follow those instructions.

4. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

I should take all of 10 minutes to scrub it with 80 grit after your wire wheel. Why not do it?

5. ^ Yep! Degrease the hell out of it too. Get it clean and sand it so the paint has something to stick to.

6. Needs the clean metal etch prep to stick.

7. pila38

pila38

Thanks guys. I'll hit it with 80 and clean it real nice before the prime.

8. I see you got the answer already too use 80grit, but i thought i would share that after using a wire wheel have you ever noticed that the metal looks a little glazed over?.
    Ive found that its now to smooth for primer to bond. Always abrade with sandpaper.:)

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I'd sand blast it...

10. pila38

pila38

A good idea, however, I don't have a cabinet and it would make too much mess with the blaster I have.

11. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

paint STICKS with one , the other, or BOTH...
    a mechanical or chemical BOND...:cool:

AS the above posters have ALREADY said.