Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The long process of finding a project car and adventures of the new guy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Apr 4, 2016.

1. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

The frame: check where the body mounts to the frame. Those mounts sometimes are pretty crispy. Over the rear wheels and all the way in the back behind the bumper. I have seem the rear x-member rusted out. Bring a screwdriver and stab at any suspect areas. My 57 sat on dirt in New England for 15yrs before I bought it, the frame was/is mint so sometimes you get lucky

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. If it's not to bad, and it was me, I would snap up the 57, scrub it up, maybe throw a coat of primer on it, and throw inn a cheap runner engine, then flip it.
    Be true to yourself, and aim for what you really want. A 58.
    By saving more cash, you will be closer to getting what you want.

3. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Sounds like a good plan. Theres a decent 58 on my craigslist right now for $5800 its just too bad i dont have the cash.

What'cha got in there, kid?

4. I don't know what your financial picture is, and I'm not asking... but... call the guy on the '58 you mention. I've heard a alot of interesting stories over the years about the right buyer meeting the right seller. I think something that some sellers can relate to is finding someone that may love their car and treat it how they would maybe want it treated. You've got nothing to lose in talking to the '58 owner and even looking at it. Don't snow the guy, and be honest about your finances and love for a '58 - showing him you're not just a tire kicker.

When I sold my '64 Impala convertible in '91, I was looking for the right buyer. I found him, and gave him some latitude in the time needed to buy the car, cuz I knew he was the guy to get it. It's been about five years ago, now, but he still had and drives the car. He also put it in much better condition than I could have at that time. He was the right buyer.

Nuff said - good luck

5. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Well, the guy didnt have a phone number listed and he said no low ballers serious buyers only but i went ahead and sent him an email told him my situation that im a full time student and a $5800 car is out of my price range but ive really been looking for a 58 and i made an offer quite q bit lower than $5800. Doubt he'll even think about it but i guess its worth a shot. The car is awesome. It already has blue dot tail lenses and it has a name painted on the trunk. Running and driving with a 283. The perfect car for me

6. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

[​IMG][​IMG]

gotta56forme likes this.
  7. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I guess i could also offer that vortec my buddy has as a partial trade lol

8. He may just be interested in the money, and doesn't have time for any BS, etc - lots of sellers out there like that. You've got nothing to lose by trying, so... good luck.

9. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

yeah, i haven't heard from him so i'm assuming that's the case. oh well.

10. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

how much would the 57 be flip-able for? im not sure if trying to flip it when i'm already 2 grand in will work.

11. If it is for sale for "x", you would like to sell it for "x+y", what are you going to do it that adds "y" to the value?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  12. We haven't seen enough pix of it for that. If it looks like the trunk and the frame is good, 5k wouldn't be out of reach. It's rare.

13. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Illinois temporary plates, so he recently bought it. Either he's flipping it, or there's potentially a problem he doesn't want to or can't deal with.

14. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Plate has been expired for 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

A friend bought one up here that had no running gear, needed floors, trunk, quarters and rockers. There was no interior, and missing much of the trim. He paid 5k because there was a good frame and clear registration. He found almost all the missing body and trim parts needed for about 2000 bucks from several guys restoration leftovers. Because it had been cleaned, all of the rotted parts removed and the parts were all there, he sold it for 8500. when he found a different project.
    In your case, I think if you cleaned all of the dirt, got rid of old carpet and upholstery so it looks/ smells better, you should be able double your money. If you got a running small block from a wreck installed and running, I would think you could triple your money.

16. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Also, i need to make sure my truck could actually pull it home. Its a v6 s10, the 4x4 version. Since the car is basically just body and frame, im guessing it weighs maybe 2500 lbs. i can always rent a truck but it would be easier if i could just use my own. What do you think?

17. Sporty45

Sporty45

I think you should stop talking about it and go get it! At least buy it, and arrange to pick it up as soon as you can. I'm betting this car isn't going to sit around long.

clunker likes this.
  18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I dont think buying a car to flip is the avenue for you, Im not sure you even need to buy a car at all rite now while trying to go to school etc. wait til you come across what is more suiting to your budget and a decent car that is the kind of car you actually want.

1959Nomad likes this.
  19. Yeah, hard to flip a car that needs a lot of work. I had someone on FB (showed my Ford there) pumping me to tell him everything I learned about cars in 45 years so he can make a living flipping hot rods. He knows nothing about cars and has no day job....

20. If only it were that easy I can safely say no one on this site would ever say "good morning" to a boss again for the rest of our lives.

bobss396 likes this.
  21. Do you have a trailer?

22. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Well the reason i havent went and gotten it is i was on vacation and now the seller is on vacation. He told me to call him on the 7th so i can look at it next week

23. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470352258.642129.jpg

I freakin love this thread
    and I love you PineApple
    but you are driving us nuts!

Seriously though, rock on and keep us posted, can't get enough.

24. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Will do and thanks!

Chrisbcritter likes this.
  25. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

26. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Ive seen that one but it's wayyyy too nice to be in my budget. I think im going to buy this 57 and make it a driver then see if i can trade it for a 58.

27. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Well the seller of that blue 58 lowered the price due to trunk rust but i can't even get a response from him...

28. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I also might go pick up a 283 with power glide tomorrow to either throw in the 57 or use for parts

29. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

here's something for you guys. So the owner of the 58 finally emailed me back and i'm looking at the car tomorrow. he said he'd take quite a bit less than his asking price and while that might not seem like it's expensive to begin with, thats all i have saved in my spending money account right now so if i end up getting it, i won't be able to do much for a while. i figure its better to spend more on something that runs and drives though instead of those $2000 wrecks i've been finding that i'd pour a lot more than 1500 into. I'll just have to take the girlfriend to MacDonalds for dates the next month or so :p

48fordor likes this.
  30. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

i'm wondering when the car was built. I'm guessing 70s or 80s since it has a name painted on it but the steel wheels and blue dot lights have me thinking. 00B0B_dZZfN6g25Ij_1200x900.jpg 00F0F_jtsg7XJj3Wd_1200x900.jpg 00J0J_lKVqYd9LxW5_1200x900.jpg 00n0n_97wwnACJ2Mm_1200x900.jpg 00O0O_henZFShV1DU_1200x900.jpg 00q0q_hvzfYBSX5bT_1200x900.jpg 01313_gguILzVLq2k_1200x900.jpg

timmy2times likes this.