Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '37-'38 Chevy Taillight Stanchions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GearheadsQCE, Jul 31, 2016.

1. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Does anyone know the difference between the stanchions for the coupes and sedans?
    Chevs of the 40's lists a repop for coupes and cabriolets and a universal set that must be modified to fit sedans from the '37-'48.

I have a set from questionable parentage and the left side seems to be slightly skewed.
    My car is a sedan and during mock up something just didn't look right. The passenger side seems to be square to the car but the drivers side points out the tiniest bit. Neither the stanchion or body have any signs of damage. The license bracket is pretty square to the rear of the car, but it is easily shaped.;)

Is that the difference between the coupes and sedans? If so, I would trade mine for a sedan piece.

It looks like I could recontour it at the base, but it might be better to get the correct part and save this one for someone that needs it.

Any insight on this?

2. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

There is a big difference in the coupe and the sedan. Coupe pass, side are real hard to find because only the master deluxe had one. The standard model only came on the driver's side . I have seen people try to modify a sedan to fit a coupe and it just won't look right. I think I still have a sedan driver's side in a box somewhere. The correct sedan ones will be easier to find then coupe. I had a 38 coupe back in the 80's and it took me a while to find the pass. side. If you compare a coupe and sedan you will see the difference right away. I thought someone was making a repop of coupe pass. side because it was so hard to find. Hope this helps.

3. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx Andy,

Yes, Chevs of the 40's offers reproductions for both sides of the coupe.

Since I don't have a known drivers side sedan piece I can't make a direct comparison. I'll have to hold the ones I have together and see how they compare as a mirror image.

The thing that threw me is that it seems very close, not WAY OFF.

I'd be interested in your sedan piece if you can locate it.

4. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

If you can post a good pic of what you have I might be able to tell you if it is sedan or coupe. Yes I'll find the sedan one. What is the price of the repop one that Chevy of the 40's have?

5. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also have a pretty nice pair of sedan stands I am not using if Unleandy cant find his.

6. I have a sedan tail light bracket with the license bracket that I would trade for a coupe tail light bracket. If you are interested, and would like pictures, I need your e-mail address to send pictures. thanks, nick.

7. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I got the light cups off earlier today, and compared the two stanchions. I can't see any real differences checking them on a flat surface. Will take some pictures tomorrow, and post them.
    I'm thinking now, that I have the correct ones for the sedan both left and right. But to make the left side sit correctly on the car it would need to be trimmed a little. I would shim it on the forward bolt until I got the angle right then scribe it like a carpenter. Looks like it would only need about 1/16" at the rear of the mounting face.

Stay tuned and thanx for the replies.

8. hotrod37

hotrod37
    from Indiana

What I know, the coupe is longer than the sedan. I think I have the left for both. I bought a reproduction of the coupe right hand for my car.

9. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Well, I did a couple of things to determine if I have a problem.

First photo shows the two stanchions standing on their light mounting surfaces. No visible difference in length or angle.
    IMG_20160801_134709821.jpg

Using a bevel gauge I compared the two at the center line of the bolt holes and top and bottom edges. No difference here either.

IMG_20160801_134759125.jpg IMG_20160801_134822041.jpg

Mounted them to the body and put a straightedge across the face of the stanchions. The straightedge was about 1/8" from the deck lid at the center on the right hand side and 2+" on the left. So, my eyesight isn't as bad as my wife says, but that probably means the the body contour isn't a mirror image.

IMG_20160801_135715443_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160801_135754539.jpg

Lastly I put a washer behind the forward bolt on the left hand stanchion and redid the straightedge thing. Came out almost perfect. The picture did not turn out good for that one, but trust me it looks good.
    Here is the gap at the body with the washer inserted.
    IMG_20160801_140318925_HDR.jpg

Now, do I recontour the base or rely on a rubber gasket to have enough give to align it correctly?

10. I wouldn't assume the orientation of those being perfect from the factory.......its probably not you......I would just get it as close as I am able to live with.

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would think the side body stampings varied that much and that's a normal production tolerance.

Having said that, since you noticed it, you are obviously detailed oriented (which isn't a bad thing). You spent the time posting the question, measuring, etc. and, if you let it go, it'll bother you every time you look at it. You might as well get it perfect now.

12. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I don't consider myself a perfectionist, but right is right.