Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Amazing Thrift Store Score Vintage 50s 60s Concept Art

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junk4cash, Jul 31, 2016.

1. junk4cash

junk4cash

Stopped at a local thrift store the other day and spotted one of these behind the counter. When I asked to see it, I realized they're were three more behind it. All hand done in colored pencil and signed F.Betz I can't find any info on the artist. Has anyone ever seen these or familiar with the artist? They are approx 20 x 12 and simply held in place with masking tape to the mats. Thank you for any info.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. abc123

abc123

Holy cow! That's neat stuff. Contact these folks making a documentary movie on vintage auto stylists:
    http://americandreamingfilm.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to send them a message.

Jet96 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Colt54chevy

Colt54chevy
    from Michigan

Wow! I only find stupid animal nick nacks when I go in those places! I think you found something special right there! Good luck!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

5. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

What!! Wow, those are incredibly cool.
    If you were in socal, I'd wonder if maybe they were old Art Center student work. As far as I know, much of the studio design work by major automakers was deliberately destroyed. Some guys sneaked stuff out, though!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Cool stuff!

I don't know anything about the artist, but I can at least give you a lead to a Betz family that might extend into Kansas. If you contact Lisa Betz at the Gering Citizen Newspaper in Gering, Nebraska, she might be able to point you to a relative who lives in the K.C. area.

Here's hoping she launches right into a story about her Uncle F. Betz who worked for Chrysler's design team. :)

Tell her Ted Preston sent you on a wild goose chase. It will give a pretty girl a smile, even if she can't help you. ;)

302GMC and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. knumb knuts

knumb knuts
    from tempe az

No info, but great score, first two I would buy prints of, love conceptual stuff

8. Wow those are awesome! Wish I could find something cool like that occasionally.

9. Oh Damn! the purple one blows me away, its well done and all of those are seriously cool!
    I would bet that name traces back to one of the big three design centers.

10. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As much as I hate to say this, in the '70's, I would have looked right over these if I saw them in a car book. However now-a-days I think they are very cool. And I think one heck of a find!

Saxman likes this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

never know what you will find by checking out shops, swaps, garage sales, etc

12. junk4cash

junk4cash

Thank you for all the info as well as comments. Yep I couldn't get my money out fast enough. People started to crowd around as I flipped through them so I paid and got out of there. Hope to find out something on the artist eventually. If I decide to sell them, I'll put them up here.

13. These are cool. I've been studying them as they're nicely done. Kind of remind me of the artist named "Zombie", which he does incredible work using the same technique.
    Looks like the dates after F.Betz been wiped away. Looks like I can make out the number 65' (?)

14. Squablow

Squablow

Great stuff, and done by someone with real talent. The purple one reminds me of the Alfa Romeo BAT.

15. junk4cash

junk4cash

I didn't notice that! Yep looks like 65 for sure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. junk4cash

junk4cash

17. junk4cash

junk4cash