Register now to get rid of these ads!

UltraSonic Cleaner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oj, Aug 2, 2011.

1. oj

oj

I just got a heated ultrasonic cleaner and not happy with the results. I've been using water with some '409' in it. What do you guys use?
    Thanks oj

2. Watcha cleanin'?

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Nothing beats good old fashioned elbow grease!

4. oj

oj

I want to throw carbs in it.

5. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Mineral spirits. Carb cleaner, parts solvant. Happy as hell with mine.

6. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Use the carb cleaner you can buy in a bucket. Don't let your carbs stay in it too long, they will disolve.

7. carbking

carbking

There are different quality ultrasonic cleaners.

We use Dawn dishwater soap most of the time. For REALLY dirty carbs (maybe 1 percent of the stuff we see) there is a VERY expensive (like $200./gallon) commercial cleaner. The Dawn does a nice job most of the time.

Jon.

8. oj

oj

Thanks for the responses. I bought an L&R T15B, heated and about 3qts. About how long should it take to clean a typical throttle body? How often do you replace the liquid?
    Thanks oj

9. I use that purple castrol cleaner in mine and it cleans pretty fast.

10. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

I use Castrol Superclean with a dab of Dawn and a cup of vinegar. I call it "dickster's brew", it does a great job and don't stink.

11. RodStRace

RodStRace

There was a gun forum where the guy was doing a review of different brews. Can't think of where now, but a search should turn it up...

12. llonning

llonning

I use the same, works great. I do nothing but small engine carbs at the moment and the Dawn seems to do the best for me.

13. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

14. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

At work we use simple green in them, we machine medical parts

15. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

We clean fuel injectors at work, and related parts. Alconox is what we use, and it works great. Try a lab supply place to find it.

16. I have been using 50/50 water/vinegar mix for 45 minutes (anymore and you risk the welch plus coming out!) after a 24hr swim in the Berrymans vat and rinsing. The other key is to be sure to preheat the tank to above 130 degrees to "degas" the mix so the ultrasonic can work. And never let a "zinc" carb in for more then a few hours as it will eat them, ask me how I know! Damn it!

17. N2hotrods

N2hotrods

We use purple power in ours. works good on carbs

18. gearguy

gearguy

Tore apart my off topic motor today after it failed a leakdown. Completely gunked up oil control rings and lots of carbon build up. 45 minutes in my $35 E-Bay sourced ultrasonic cleaner with a commercially available general purpose cleaner that cost almost as much as the machine and they were ready for re-use. Die cast aluminum parts were also very clean. The gunked up rings cleaned up to the point of reuseability.

I'm shopping for a bigger machine as soon as I post this. This little guy paid for itself in one project. I found the concentrated cleaner by searching the net under industrial cleaners. The machine & cleaner are on their way home with my motor builder. After seeing the results he wants to process anything that will fit in the tank. My job: find a bigger tank and order more concentrate.

Attached Files:

19. Godspeed

Godspeed

I found this on another website, warning about using some simple greens with aluminum, but others are OK:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_7/633271_Simple_Green_and_Ultrasonic_Cleaners_for_BCG_cleaning.html

Simple Green and aluminum do not mix. Becareful with it on your upper and lower because it will cause embrittlement. They do make aircraft grade Simple Green that will not damage aluminum. The regular stuff is safe on steel and your BCG. I use it full strength in my ultrasonic tank and re-use it a few times too.
    http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions_faqs.php?search_query=aluminum

SG does make a aluminum safe cleaner, Simple Green Aircraft clean. It doesn't have the dye and perfume either.

I use Simple Green HD Pro. It is suppose to be ok on aluminum and is cheaper then the aircraft version. From the website Use Simple Green Pro HD in a general cleaning dilution on floors, painted surfaces, aluminum, stainless or polished steel, chrome, plastics, vinyl, canvas, cabinets, counters, stove tops, refrigerators, sinks, showers, tile, and more.

You can get it at Home Depot.

SG HD user here as well. And I do indeed dilute it 50/50.. Works great.