Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Budget Distributor recommendation for 327 SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by belair_54, Jul 30, 2016.

1. belair_54

belair_54
    from australia

Hi wanting an easy cheap swap for my points ignition on my 327 what distributor would you guys recommend don't want the $50 made in China ones off the net, but even some of the name brands come from Asia.
    Is it best to get a genuine GM HEI but then good chance it could be worn maybe a refurbished one? thanks in advance

2. oldolds

oldolds

GM HEI would be the easiest. You can convert your points dist. several ways. Pertronix is one way. You can also use the Module from various electronic ignitions wired to your points dist. for hotter spark. ( Ford or Mopar seem to be preferred by the budget race car crowd) This changes the points to a trigger The points last much longer that way, because they operate on low voltage.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Well, since the title says "budget," i think AC delco offers a reman and thus you can be assured that the quality is still decent. (i hope?)

4. 29moonshine

29moonshine

100 at rock auto for a ac delco

5. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Junkyard HEI is going to be your best bet for finding something easy, cheap-ish, and made in the US.

6. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

OOps! excuse me----it's ChiAc-delco now........

7. aaggie

aaggie

If your cap, rotor and wires are OK the cheapest way out would be a Pertronix kit. I check out any old distributor or HEI at swap meets and they can usually be bought for $25 or less. Pick -a-Part is a good source for genuine GM HEI units and there is very little to rebuilding one. If you decide to go with HEI pick up a spare module and test it then carry it with you for roadside emergencies.

8. If you can find one one at a Swap meet a Factory GM Dual Point Tack drive

Needle bearing Dist. will last for a Long long Time
    I have one in my car Now which I had in my Race car
    from 1969-75 and than put in my Merc. 327\300 hp in 1979
    and I am still Running it Today NO Problem
    I checked the Points & No Wear at all

Just my 3.5 cents
    or when the Cows
    come Home!

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any used distributor needs to be tested to make sure that it is not worn out.
    Personally I had great luck with one of the aftermarket Hei distributors from Skip White on Ebay. That one fixed my hard start problem and gave me 2 mpg which was a huge increase on a truck only getting 12 to start with.
    I see that they have the MSD 8362 for 139.50 plus 10.00 shipping. others have it for less with stiffer shipping prices.

10. squirrel

squirrel

buy a spare set of points and two spare condensers, and find an old dwell/tach meter at a swap meet or yard sale, and drive it. Should be able to get 10k-20k miles out of a set of points. Set the dwell for 30 degrees, using a 1/8" allen wrench through the little window.

There's nothing wrong with points.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Oh you can still find them but they are not cheap.

12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Pertronix or Accell points eliminator kit in your stock distributor and be done with it.

13. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

X2 !!!!!
    Your old unit is much better than the new off shore stuff..........buy a LS1181 from summit and drive it ......

14. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

I bet Bubba was referring to this -
    PerTronix Ignitor® Solid-State Ignition Systems 1181LS

15. Packrat

Packrat

I've had a Pertronix in the 40 for over 10 years,no problems at all. It's a Ford motor, same difference. Good product in my opinion.

16. Timbofor

Timbofor

Run away from those Chinese HEI junk from online. Bought mine off amazon. What a load of crap that thing is. Mechanically it was fine and dandy. The module, not so much. Couldn't rev above 3200 or the spark would go absolutely nuts. Swapped in a genuine GM module and it runs ok now. Not great, just kinda ok. The curve is wonky and all the connectors broke off when I put it together.

17. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

go on craig's list and pick up a HEI for $20-25

18. I have an eBay small-body HEI on my 355, $125 with wires, cap and coil. So far so good with it, timed it easily and a ton of power with it. I put right angle Accel boots on it at the cap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-CHEVY-R...ers-/190895097429?vxp=mtr&hash=item2c723c0655

If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the small-bodied Pertronix, which I believe is around $175 alone for the distributor and cap.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Or use your single point to trigger an msd, and the points will last even longer...

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No shit!! :eek::rolleyes: Man, I was just looking for one!

21. squirrel

squirrel

one of mine has points triggering an MSD, done by the previous owner. It's been running kind of rough. I wonder what's wrong with it? I guess I should look at it one day...

22. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

What does a 091 Delco dual point sell for now ? When I had to work on V8 Chevrolets, I was always pleased to see one of them because they always work.