Register now to get rid of these ads!

29 Model A Roadster Body Doesn't Fit 31 Frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VCS, Jun 17, 2012.

1. VCS

VCS

Hello All,
    Very frustrated because I tried to fit a 28/29 Brookeville Roadster sub frame and wood body/frame mounting kit to a 31 frame yesterday.

The subframe and wood holes matched, but not one frame hole lined up with the body! Also the forward cowl mounting brackets seem to be set to far back. I tried to mock up the hood and grill as well to the cowl and there was a huge gap.

What should I do? Redrill the frame mounting holes to match the body? Relocate the cowl and hood latch brackets farther forward?

Thank you in advance for all advise.

2. Carter

Carter

It's up to you what to do. The cowl brackets are in a different location. That's one of the few functional differences in the Model A frames through the years. You could relocate the brackets and holes if you aren't looking for a perfectly correct setup. Or you could hunt down an earlier frame. If you are running a 30-31 grille shell, the radiator mounting areas on the front crossmember are different as well and will require radiator shimming.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  3. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

4. Carter

Carter

That will certainly come in handy once he has the front cowl mount in the correct location. If you want some measurements to move the cowl mount on your frame let me know.

5. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

The cowl mounting bkt. On 31 frames were set rearward the exact amount as the distance between the holes on the bkt. This was done to accommodate some coach built cars. Henry only used the forward hole in the bkt. And the rear hole in the body for the '31 year only. If you move the body forward this distance, the remaining mounting holes will line up...

6. TERPU

TERPU

Move the body to the right frame holes and remove your cowl mounts. Replace Cowl mounts in the right spot and Viola! Start at the rear crossmember as it never moved on any frame.

Good Luck,

Tim

7. OLLIN

OLLIN

Good info, im getting ready to do this real soon..

8. Not to hijack thread but I'm trying to rebuild a 30-31 sports coupe body onto a 28-29 roadster subframe and I'm too trying to figure out the cowl mounting holes holes I heard you just move the 31 cowl back one hole but doesn't seem to fit quite right still anyone have any photos and measurements on doing this that could help me ?
    Thanks
    Charlie