Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2016 Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slug, Jul 7, 2016.

1. gas pumper

gas pumper

Now all you first timers make sure you wear long pants no shorts!!!!! That's how we know you are a newbie. LOL. I did it the first year too, but never again. All other information here is right on tho. Every car nut HAS to go to Bonneville. And you can't say just go once. Because when you go once, you are coming back again, every year you can. You will know why when you do it. We really can't describe the experience, You have to experience it.

See you on the Salt!
    Frank.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ugg...well...crap...I will keep you guys posted on if I will be giving up my room reservation.

There is a very solid possibility that rather than pounding the salt, that I will be pounding the pavement looking for a new job. The preliminary layoff list has been leaked, and I am on it.

It appears that shareholder dividends have taken priority over engineer retention, for as long as that could possibly last, anyway.

3. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Sorry to hear it. Not surprised, though. That death spiral is killing a lot of companies.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No death spiral here. The company profits and stock price are both on the rise.

Last years valuation was $144,000,000,000 ($144 billion, with a B), and the company has $50,000,000,000 ($50 billion) in cash-on-hand.

This is just a dick-move. The promised dividend to shareholders was raised form $0.22/share to $0.26/share. Short-term corporate logic.

I work in Silicon Valley. There is not now, nor was there ever a recession here. Not even a hint of an economic downturn.

5. Hope it all works out for you. JW

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. I know that I will be fine, in the long run.

I'm still not used to the "new normal" of career-level jobs lasting only about 2-years.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  7. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

Yesterday at a test session on the salt Sam Wheeler died shortly after crashing his EZ Hook streamliner.
    JC

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. I'm out. My last day will be Friday. On to the next adventure!

9. As above and that's sad about Sam Wheeler, hope thats the last of that kind of thing as I don't go to see crashes just cars and racing. JW

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, that sucks! I went through it three times, working for Silicon Valley based companies. I finally went to work in healthcare, as a customer instead of a manufacturer trying to sell to end users. Best move I ever made.

Best of luck to you Gimpy! Usually these things work out for the best, even though it's a real kick in the nuts for a while when you're let go.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  11. Sincere best wishes to you Gimpy. You're right, you'll be fine but still hoping it's a smooth road.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  12. cliff549

cliff549

This all good words of wisdom for Salt been there more than a few times. The car wash gets pretty long I used a carwash in Salt lake past the airport exit NO waiting be sure and get in fender wells.
    Cliff

13. Dry Lakes Racer

Dry Lakes Racer
    from So Cal

Not part of the SCTA/BNI SPEED WEEK at all, but at Mike Cooks Test and Tune currently going at Bonneville Sam Wheeler lost his life in an incident in his M/C Streamliner. Sam was one of the nicest people in Land Speed Racing and was able for many year to race his motorcycle streamliner on a budget and one of the very very few at the top timed at 300+ mph many years ago. His life and motorcycle build is well documented and can be found on the net. RIP Sam.

14. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

And now you have a place to stay/park!

15. shopdawg

shopdawg
    from alberta

My plans have been changed and I can't go , sometimes life sucks.

16. Crazy how it all works out! Thanks

17. Bummer Greg, I know what you mean....not sure if I'm gonna make it either. Hopefully the planets align for me at the last minute.

18. I'll be at the Bend in the "Hostess" bred wagon,,,,,,, stop by and say Howdy ! crow ( the arizona old crow )

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My foster Dad always stays (camps in long teardrop trailer) at Bend in the Road.
    Sadly, not this year.
    Pinky Cecil has contracted lung cancer, and is very ill.
    Prayers please, this will be the first Bonneville he has missed.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

already sent, hope that you can find daily Salt pics & details to share with him.

hendelec likes this.
  21. Very sad to hear of those with illness who won't make it. Well wishes to those in need.

22. Sorry to hear that Mike. Have seen him there many times. Prayers

Charlie

hendelec likes this.
  23. Cymro

Cymro

Regarding the sun cream, ears, noses, nostrils and the usual neck facial areas, do not miss even inside the year, I,m a red head dont ask how I know.

24. ^^Glad you spelt ear with a Y and not an R. :eek::D JW

25. Ya don't put sun cream where the sun don't shine

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Thanks, fellas. I shall pass it on.

28. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Race car is loaded and ready to head west. We should pit on the front line at the far end of the pits. We are "Just Glad to be Here" Orange 1953 Studebaker AA/BFCC stop by and say hello.

John loaded2.JPG

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

There will be 3 teams from Oregon and 1 from Idaho in our group. A/BFALT # 5656, A/FL # 316, XF/BGRMR # 351, and C/GR # 4021. Hopefully, we will all be able to pit together. I even procured something to drive into town in the evening, a roadster I built 15 years ago. I hope to meet some of you there ! P1010018.JPG

30. That will help me spot you there. JW