Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What is this car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tobyflh, Jul 28, 2016.

1. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

trying to find out what this car is on the flat bed. Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Those hood sides have a Chevrolet vibe to them.

i.rant and lothianwilly71 like this.
  3. I'm guessin' '36 Chevy but what do I know??!!:D

4. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

I was guessing 35 Chevy but the rear fenders don't look right.

5. Leakie

Leakie

The car looks like a 37 Chevy flat back while the hood looks like 35/36 Chevy

6. 34, 35, 36 Chev, but seeing how it's had a few Hot Rod body mods, without better pics, it's hard to pin down.

7. 1937 would have the body line in the cowl/doors.
    I think it's a flatback made out of a '35/'36 four door.

i.rant likes this.
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am suspecting the 'photo' is actually a painting. Artistic license leads to many departures from reality.

Ray

hotroddon and Sporty45 like this.
  9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

'35 Chevy Master Series that has had a "Bustle-ectomy".

10. southerncad

southerncad

OK, I'll guess too....a two door sedan out of the 30's:D

11. henry29

henry29

Picture looks like it's in the UK, so it may be a UK built body or a modified sedan with a sloper trunk grafted on.

12. Sporty45

Sporty45

Yeah, that was my first impression, too

13. rooman

rooman

Too much detail in the background for it to be a painting (unless the artist was overly carried away about stuff that does not matter). Due to the fact that it is chopped I would guess that there have been other modifications/parts substitutions performed that may have diluted the base year appearance.

Roo

14. '35/'36 chevy

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

36 body I think but that trunk lid is a mystery, flat backs had the spare mounted there and storage was accessed from behind rear seat. Head light pods look small for 36 also.:confused:

16. '35 Standard Chevrolet sedan

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Look at some of the details on the vehicles......for instance the rear wheel/fender on the truck. The dimensions of the bottom half of the wheel/tire exceed the space available in the fender for the upper half. Pretty much the same thing on the car. The whole picture has an 'unreal' cast to it. As for "too much detail to be a painting".....paintings and commercial art have long had complex and highly detailed backgrounds.......go to an Art store or Museum and look around.

Whether or not it is a photo or a painted impression really doesn't matter a great deal, the identity of the car has been well covered here.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  18. I didn't know about the spare tire deal but I have a pic of a '39 took like 20 years ago in southern mississippi so I'm certain Chevy offered the body style. I too would like a much better image to examine.

19. Not a sloper as the roof isn't that rounded. In the other one C. John Stutzer posted, you can see where the lower back of the body bumps out with the fender contours.
    Can't seem to find any more photos of the car and haven't been able to find a website yet but pretty sure this is the same truck.... Wish I could make out the name on the doors, although it isn't on it in the first photo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Does look like the same truck, background and tag don't look American, looks European. Most of the car looks like a 36 Chevy but can't find a 2 door flatback.

21. badvolvo

badvolvo

The vents on the hood look to match my 36 chevy truck.

22. Yeah, it's a transmogrified artsy-fartsy special is what it is...

23. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Looks a lot to me like a mix of cars. The body looks to me to possibly be a 35 Ford flatback sedan, and 34/35 Chevy hood sides. Just my opinion.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. Leakie

Leakie

The lettering on the truck door , possibly , "Metal Factory" . Pretty sure on the second word factory, not to sure on the first word.

volvobrynk and Hnstray like this.
  25. Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  26. choptop40

choptop40

27. rooman

rooman

Automotive art (especially of "rat rods") usually does not fit into the art store or museum category in terms of background detail. If it was needed to enhance the image maybe, but this is just suburban clutter. And guess what, the truck is real so the car must be too--it seems that the tires do fit under the fenders.

Roo

28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^^^ I can see the 'art' work pics derived from actual photos.....actually I thought that was the case in the first place, but close examination of all the pics posted indicates, to me at least, some skillful manipulation of the basic photos. That includes, but is not limited to, the 'lowering' of the truck beyond the actual physical limitations present. The coloration has also been at least filtered in some way or subject to some other process. All the photos presented in this thread are attractive and praiseworthy....but I continue to maintain that some are 'enhanced' to produce a specific effect.

Ray

C. John Stutzer likes this.