Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear end dances

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captaintaytay, Jul 17, 2016.

1. I'm going to pull the leaf springs out real soon, waiting for parts.
    I'm eliminating the blocks.
    Can you guys give any tips on doing this, removing the springs and re-installing.
    I had one concern about springs not fitting back properly and having to make a spreader.
    Don't want to do that if I don't have to.

2. gas pumper

gas pumper

Holy Cow, look at those bushings!!!!!!! JUNK, wore out!!

No spreader needed jakstands and a floor jack. and a strong back. And take your time, one side at a time.

need louvers ? and captaintaytay like this.
  3. 53 ford

53 ford

Do the shackles mount under the frame or to the side?

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn. All of your spring bushings are shot. At least they will not be hard to remove.

captaintaytay and need louvers ? like this.
  5. 53 ford

53 ford

No way they can flip, just ignore my ignorance.

6. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I'd call St Louis Spring Co. they have always treated me right and never had any problems with their work!
    It looks like your springs need work!

captaintaytay likes this.
  7. My 51 Chevy did the same exact thing when I first got it. The bushing were shot and it had 4 inch blocks in it. I took the blocks out and replaced all the bushings. It was better but still liked to dance around some. after a week of daily driving the new rear shocks I but in were shot, good Monroe shocks too. I figured the springs were just shot even though it wasn't squatting terribly in the rear. I put an entire chassis engineering rear spring kit in it, with new springs shocks and a shock cross member. Swapped the rear out to a better 8.5 inch 10 bolt rear. The difference was amazing the difference. There rear end was so tight and tracked so good it let me see that the front end also needed some attention as well, you couldn't really tell the way the ass end was all over the place. I would seriously look into new springs as well and just rebuild the entire rear suspension. here are picks of mine before and after. 20150426_155123 (1).jpg 20151011_134939.jpg

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Eberwein Spring company is in Fresno, CA. When I ran Banks Safety Center, I had them make a large number of springs. Great quality, fair price. Call them for a quote, they may even have new bushing kits for that 'crackerbox'. (Ford Salesmen's description of the then-new models!)
    Rear springs will require NO spreaders, the shackle arc is adequate for any arch with Ford length main leaves.
    Eberwein has been in business since the 1930s....

9. I googled there name and it said they were closed.
    I wonder if they just moved.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

After reading that all they did was a toe adjustment after all that front end work I'd bet money the car is going down the road "sideways" , that and the leaf bushings can be a scary ride

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Well, at the risk of losing my stance, the ride is great.
    New 3" drop leaf's, new bushings, hardware and a little paint.

20161106_115239.jpg

20161105_102749.jpg

20161105_140810.jpg 20161106_111929.jpg 20161106_111939.jpg

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Last year, I was passing a street sweeper, had a bit of a brain fart and forgot about all the dust those things shoot out. Gave it a bit of a goose and invented a dance step of my own. I call it the "Opperman".:eek:

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Thanks, George...

Captain, those springs look great. GOOD fix! Didn't know Eberwein closed, sorry. Hard to keep track of all the businesses that just closed these 8 years.

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Glad to see you found your problem was mainly the spring's. Yes you had bad bushing's, but bad springs coupled with the angle of your shock's no deal. Shock's are less effective when angled to far. But with new more rigid spring's your shock issue isn't as or nearly an issue anymore.