Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. mutant55

mutant55

Well, here's my 2 cents on the hydro starter question, I have seen several posts on this subject as the starter is a key element to getting you engine started with one of these transmissions. I have read all about the guy stating that the Olds "upside down starter" is the one, so I tell you how I approached it, I bought a vintage B&M catalog with Hydro's in it, and the catalog is the bible of how to perform a conversion. Their catalog lists a truck starter as the piece to use for a Chevrolet, you have to figure, if your using a cast iron truck Bellhousing, why would you not use the stock Bellhousing mount starter? I bought like 6 of them for less than $25 a piece. B&M makes aluminum adapters for Chevy's as most of us know, and their adapters use the same starters. The catalog also tells you what year transmission, tailshaft, yoke etc to use so you don't even have to shorten your driveshaft in certain cars. Can't argue with printed matter from the Manufacturer right? It just kills me to hear the wife's tales and folklore that I have read for years on this matter when it's a real simple answer. I hope this clears up your questions on this, or, maybe I have it all wrong..... This is the first time I have commented on this on the Hamb also, FYI.

biscaynes, loudbang and 1934coupe like this.
  2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

3. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

4. loudbang

loudbang

The Augusta Motor Sales 1962 Galaxie proudly proclaims its 405 hp 406

1962galaxie see email.jpg

Jan-Cen 1962 Galaxie faces a 413 Plymouth. Ford gave up over 300 lbs to Mopar cars in

1962galaxie2 see email.jpg

When equipped with the 330-hp Police Interceptor 390 engine, full-size Fords like this 1963
    Galaxie fell into the D/Stock class. Here they faced a tough challenge from high-performance 289
    Fairlanes

1963galaxie see email.jpg

Dale Bargman was one of the Ford Boys still winning with his C/Stock 406 1963-1/2 Galaxie
    later in the decade

1963galaxie2 see email.jpg

Al Joniec has much to smile about in this photo. His 1963 lightweight Galaxie
    was considered one of the East Coast’s hottest Stock cars.

1963galaxie3 see email.jpg

1947knuck, thehazguy, tommyd and 2 others like this.
  5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Junior Stock always seemed to me to be a winning combination of a class to race in.

It was more affordable then running many other classes and it had a fan following like other classes just dreamed of having and yet the people in charge did not see it that way.

I guess sometimes even so called smart people make mistakes!!

Jimbo

Baron, Tom 57 150 and loudbang like this.
  6. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Same bunch canned Modified......maybe not so smart.

Baron, Tom 57 150 and loudbang like this.
  7. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Yep
    Talked to a couple of guy's this weekend that converted their Junior cars to run in Gas or M/P til it got shut down.

Tom 57 150 and loudbang like this.
  8. Maurice Hood

Maurice Hood

I’ve never really understood why no group has brought back the stockers and modified cars like there use to be. I have seen and read about several groups that have gotten together and organized musclecar drag races and insist that the cars be stock but still they run their races like bracket races, using each cars individual dial-in. Would it be that much more difficult to develop classes, establish records and spot off of them like it use to be. Some of the most enjoyable times I ever had out at the local drag strip was watching a bunch of the stock ”trophy” cars battle it out. Those were many of the same cars that were at the local hangouts on other evenings looking and sounding good. Naturally the stock and modified “money” cars were enjoyable to watch as well. I would truly love to see it return!

lawman, loudbang and Tom 57 150 like this.
  9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That would be neat but there would be a lot of tear down now days one would guess.

Baron and loudbang like this.
  10. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Larry Morgan may have phrased it best a couple of years ago. "You can't fix stupid."

Tom 57 150 likes this.
  11. DELIVERYSEDANMAN

DELIVERYSEDANMAN
    from Hawhtorne

Hello to all you Hydro guys. These would be the correct starter numbers for the Chevy trucks with the Hydro's 1107365, 1107664 and 1107674. I have a Hydro in my vintage Jr Stock Sedan Delivery. Have not gotten it to the track yet as still sorting out problems. Had it in and running but had oil leak where torus cover goes into trans. Got it out now and installing new seal checking all oil seal surfaces and indicating all surfaces to get them to run within tolerance as specified by the old B&M instructions. If anyone is installing a Hydro onto a 350 you must machine the surface of the flywheel 1/2" wider or 1" larger in diameter where it attaches to the crank. as the 350 crank does not have a round crank flange like 265 283 or 327 engines and will not seat properly without machining it. Coming from the voice of experience. This is one reason why I had an oil leak. Thanks and hope I have given some helpful information.

12. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

^^^^^ Good to know!

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Same applies to the 348/409, and the more common BBC 396-427 (454 was't yet available); it was in the Hydro-Stick order forms regarding the need for flywheel machining with those engines because of the balance weight on the crankshaft flange. My PSEUDO-Junior Stocker engine was a 305 with a cut down 400 crank/rods and a forged piston (334 CID and the engine is now in my DD, OT Truck). I had one of my spare flywheels re-balanced to the 400 weight specs; my machinist used a piece of scrap metal he had lying around, and apparently, the Hydro flywheel is steel, NOT cast iron. Whoever has wound up with my Hydro parts is going to have some balance issues if they try and use that particular flywheel in a neutral balance situation! The guy I gave all my stuff to also SOLD it all (SOB!), and I know Tom Willford (RIP TOM) eventually bought some of it. NHRA has allowed "some" of the older cars back into Stock, especially the Tri-Five Chevrolet's, but there has't been the big response they were hoping for; they've even allowed the use of more modern transmissions. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

15. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

16. '56 150

'56 150

What class is this '57? Can't make it out.

17. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Says M/SA but that would be a 220hp not the 245.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Man I would love to have another 66 Chevelle

20. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

There's a Wheatly Brothers tribute wagon being built.
    It will how ever be a 4 door and current NHRA stock legal.

21. Chuck, The first one I remember was the 69 350/255 4bbl. NHRA wasn't buying the 5 hp for the 4 bbl...Not for long anyway. I won't swear it was the first hp factor though.
    Travis would know..If he doesn't he'll look it up in his stash.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Pending confirmation by a respected official (Travis will fill that bill when he gets around to it) I'd be inclined to agree with you. That low-compression small block combination really upended the status quo in Stock Eliminator.

c

loudbang likes this.
  23. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Following is the Foreword from my old NHRA Classification Guide better known to racers as the "Redbook":
    ------------------------------------------------------
    FOREWORD
    The National Hot Rod Association has prepared this Stock Car Classification Guide with the complete cooperation of the automotive industry. All data included has been calculated from either A.M.A. specification sheets or data furnished directly by the manufacturers themselves. Every effort has been made to verify the accuracy of this guide and to assure its usefulness for years to come.

Figures listed on the following pages are actual power-to-weight ratios for faster, more accurate stock car classification. They represent a car's advertised shipping weight divided by the manufacture's advertised horsepower listing for all available body-engine combinations except those cars that are classified using an NHRA performance rating.

Where applicable, the standard transmission equipped car's weight/horsepower ratio is given first, and in cases where an optional automatic transmission is used (heavier by fifty pounds or more), that figure is noted immediately below the model listed.

Optional equipment such as power steering, air conditioning, etc.; are not included in the computation, and are not allowed additional weight consideration.

Mid-season additional assembly line installed engines will be computed and supplemental sheets furnished at such time as these items are officially recognized by National Hot Rod Association's Technical Board.

National Hot Rod Association
    3418 West First Street
    Los Angeles, California 90004
    NHRA 1969
    R-1
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The R-1 in the lower left hand corner means that the page had been revised one time. Throughout my
    older Classguide there are no revised horsepowers shown at the bottom of the columns like those used in today's Classguide. But the Foreword speaks of "cars that are classified using an NHRA performance rating." That means there were engines that were refactored but until 1972 those refactored horsepowers were known to only a few.

In 1972 NHRA came out with a book called the Factor Finder. That book gave all the re-factored horsepowers higher than what the manufacturer listed. Quoting from the Factor Finder book....."The 'factoring' system was developed by NHRA, defining separate performance ratings for use in lieu of manufactures' advertised horsepower listings on many cars in competition". 1972 and 1973 saw the Factor Finder books printed, then followed by putting the refactored horsepower in the Classguide below each engine column.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    KickinAsphalt and loudbang like this.
  24. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Thanks, once again for sharing your expertise, Travis!!

Hope you have a grand time at Indy. We'll all be watching.

c

25. DELIVERYSEDANMAN

DELIVERYSEDANMAN
    from Hawhtorne

Hello all you Jr Stock jug heads. Does anyone have any pictures or remember anything about the Strato Drags at McGuire AFB back around 1967????? I was a young kid then and went to visit my older brother who was at Fort Dix in basic training and we went down and watched the Strato drags I guess on Sunday at McGuire AFB back I think about 1967. Had to be the coolest thing I had ever seen and I remember the Stockers back then and I think this is what got me hooked on all this Stocker Jr Stocker stuff. Trying to relive my youth here. Thanks in advance for anything anyone can offer.
    Sorry but this thread has seemed to of died out. Maybe it is just the time of the year. I will be a Jr Stock nut till my dying breath. Hydro's forever

26. Maurice Hood

Maurice Hood

DeliverySedanMan, I can not answer your question concerning McGuire AFB but I do share your love for the Junior Stockers. I started going out to our local drag strip in my early teens back around 1966 and fell in love with the stockers. Admittedly most all of the ones that could run competitively were trailered in but I was most fascinated by numerous cars that could be seen cruising the local streets during the week then be at the track with open headers and slicks on Saturday nights running strong. I sure would love to be able to go back out there now and watch of them running again. I never have been able to get into bracket racing!

loudbang and KickinAsphalt like this.
  27. Cullyflower

Cullyflower

Deliverysedan man In 1972 my friend ran his A/Altered at Strato Rods most sundays. Yes it was a taxiway on McGuire AFB. I remember seeing a lot of guys in fatigues lining the fence watching the races. I guess they were not allowed to come any closer being they were in basic training. I don't have any pictures from Stratorods

loudbang likes this.
  28. biscaynes

biscaynes

is that George's '66 Chevelle that rolled on it's side with the '56?

29. loudbang

loudbang

Posted by swi66 in the vintage thread.

Look at the mile high hair on the girl on the right.

[​IMG]

thehazguy and 1934coupe like this.
  30. 1934coupe

1934coupe

This car ran and won at Dover a lot, a model kit is being made of it and will be for sale. Matty Winspar has restored it and it will be at the Dover Nostalgia Drag in Lebanon Valley drag strip on Sept 24-25. Go to doverdragstip.com for more info on Matty's Hudson or race.

Pat

loudbang likes this.