Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Back to the Petersen...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Back to the Petersen...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

HEMI32 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. I got to go for the first time when we were out there for GNRS. It is amazing. I was surprised that the cars aren't roped off in any way, makes for way better photos......

3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I have been part of the group that felt the Peterson was being destroyed (like what happened to Harrah's after his death). I loved the Museum in its original form and when I heard it was becoming a "Brass Show Room" I felt betrayed by the Museum Board. But I suppose displays can become stale and the need to make changes to draw new visitors is needed by any of the Entertainment Venues in Southern California.
    So after SpeedWeek and maybe on a Friday off we will mosey down to LALA Land and see what is inside, I should be able to do it if I shield my eyes from the what ever it is on the front of the building.

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Great museum. But.... the bacon is seriously weird.

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

huh?

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

They reskinned the Petersen a couple of years ago. Supposed to be free form and artistic, which I guess makes sense for an iconic museum. Ended up looking a lot like bacon to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

grumpy32 and 3wLarry like this.
  7. To me, the Hirohata Merc is right up there with the roadsters as far as importance to the history of modified automobiles. That Merc is the standard by which all other customs are judged. Sam Barris was a genius. I'm a hot rod guy, but that Merc really does it for me.

8. deucemac

deucemac

9. deucemac

deucemac

It looks like someone dumped a giant pile of lathe shavings on it to me. But, I've always enjoyed a good slab of bacon, just not on top of my buildings.

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Makes you wonder what the hell were they thinking. That's what happens when they try too hard to impress. It's a eyesore.

11. Special Ed

Special Ed

Who gives a rat's ass what a damn building looks like on it's facade? Once you're inside, you're checking out it's contents ... right?

Gotgas, Gabe Fernando and ClayMart like this.
  12. jeffthisted

jeffthisted

13. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

The car capital of the world ?

14. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Car-culture capital of the world.

15. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

I really like the Pererson's new building shell. One benefit is that it is very noticeable and engages people who never before knew anything about a hot rod. To me, it has the pattern of fumes around a red-hot object, which has everything to do with our favorite cars.

Gabe Fernando likes this.
  16. thunderplex

thunderplex

Instead of "bacon" they should have wrapped the bldg in gigantic side trim.

My $.02 worth.

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Reminds me of watching dad stick weld(with a helmet of course) in the 70's. Molten metal that quickly solidifies, and forms a flux crust. That was my favorite thing he let me do at 6 yrs old, chip away stick welded flux. Anyway, what was the question?

18. 1lucky1

1lucky1
    from Morgan NJ

Congrats to Chip!

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Went through back in January GNRS weekend, the ticket line went from the desk to the door and never got shorter during the three hours were there. I liked the old layout, but the new improved version is bicycle vs Bonneville liner. Bob

Gotgas and Gabe Fernando like this.
  20. I was there in March and was underwhelmed , guess I was expecting it to be more hot rod orientated, rather than high buck fancy foreign stuff. To each their own I guess. Won't be back anytime soon for me.

21. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks for posting... Is the red Merc convert Rulon McGregor's old car. He died in the '40s in a lakes crash driving a modified. His parents kept his custom Merc for years until it wound up at the Petersen in storage. If it is, glad it is now on display. TRJ ran a great story on McGregor some years ago.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think the building is amazing!

The37Kid likes this.
  23. guy1unico

guy1unico

When i first saw the new facade I thought of a modern art museum, but it is attractive in a non automotive way. Just keep it full of cool cars that is all that matters.

24. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

Me too. I'm an 'old guy' too. I usually don't go in for designs like this but there's something about it that works for me. Maybe the colors or the relation to the very special stuff inside.

25. autobilly

autobilly

Ons day.
    Nice pics btw.

26. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

God, I love the Biscayne...

27. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

The cars are Outstanding! Thanks for the peek from a guy that will probably never get the chance to see the inside of the place. Joe

28. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Went there a few weeks back with another HAMBer. He's from Canada so he'd never been to "the Pete" before.

We did the vault tour and the whole museum. The cars looked great,but I have to say that having worked there for couple of exhibits. I drove some Kool Kars and rode in many in Jay' s post above.

Looking over the exterior, I'm not a fan at all...now being on the inside, I felt like I was in a LARGE MBZ mega dealership.
    To me, it lost its core of what the Natural History Museum and Margie and Robert Petersen created.

It was about the automobile and how it changed our lives, especially in. Los Angeles CA. Its street scrapes, gas station, first ever car oriented shopping area and Googie style restaurant. Another loss would be the whole Bell Auto Patterened Speed a Shop and Kustom Shop diorama that to me said "this is how much of this started"

We lost a very cool vintage and. Classy dealership showroom and even a Kool little corn cob smoking little dog that now resides at Bobby Green's Tripple Barrell watering hole.

That was Los Angeles History, being someone who strives to preserve what had been created before us so that the young guys coming up in this way of life will have something to see.

Imagine if the Neikamp would be the car that Jake started out with or would be some high tech wazoo or even the Doane Spencer Deuce when Lynn Wineland and later Neil East when in 1986 he took in for a shave and a haircut and it didn't see the road ever again in his ownership...until Bruce and PC3g - SO-CAL. built the car that was shown above even though Doane never ever drove it that way...

I'll continue to try and save what I can and I think I'll leave "the Pete" to a new generation who will really never know what the original version was unless they purchase a $50.00 book in the gift shop.

milwscruffy likes this.
  29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

good tour

30. akr garage

akr garage