Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rebel Reaper project intro: let the hate mail commence!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don Moyer, Mar 15, 2006.

1. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I love it!! I can only wish I had a Willys! Yours looks great, too! I'm jealous!!

2. leadsled01

leadsled01

Love it. I'll probably see you at Thompson raceway. Anybody know where I can get a copy of that movie "HOT ROD"

3. farna

farna

And all this time I thought I was the only real AMC/Rambler nut around here! I really got a kick out of the "Rambler in Tupperware" comment -- I'd have never thought that one up!!

I think the original Grant/Rebel was a steel shell. Heck, even if it wasn't a lot of the early funnys were. Might have to get the torch out...

chryslerfan55 and Greenblade like this.
  4. rustfarmer

rustfarmer
    from Hawaii

Awesome project!!!! Nothing wrong with fiberglass bodies. Go for it!!! No one has posted a negative comment yet. Keep us posted.

Aloha,
    rustfarmer

5. glassguy

glassguy

if ya beat the munns with it its yours!! and theres rootbeer all over the track!! im sure you and cannonball will be able to install the engine with a 4way lug wrench.. prime it grey and put violet springs on it.i love it keep the pics coming...:D

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Fossil

Fossil

There's nothing wrong with taking a fiberglass Willys body and making a gasser out of it.
    Taking a steel Willys that once was a gasser...and turning it into a slammed, tubbed, 20" bling wheeled show rod with cup holders and power windows...something seems wrong with that.

Are you taking it to Thompson this year?

-Scott

Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Tommy C

Tommy C

Damn, I was going to ask "Munn's Rootbeer Anyone?" but you beat me to it. Great movie, even better project... Anyone says anything tell them to kiss your glass a$$...

Two Thumbs Up...

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'm looking forward to watching the build. I'm sure it will be as cool as the Lazy 8. So, fill me in on what weekend the above mentioned Reunion is. Like to put it on my schedule for this summer. Sounds like a good time.

9. Fossil

Fossil

Thompson is June 2nd-4th this year.

10. After Lazy 8, YOU could post pics of what you're doing with rose bushes or how to shampoo carpet and I'D give it a look.
    Carry on sir---it's gonna be amazing! :)

11. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

i bo9ught it at amazom.com since it was partly filmed in my brother in laws little cabin on diamond mountin in calistoga california watch is at least once a month :cool:

12. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

Man I love it and the movie it is a classic. and the glass just makes sense , given the willys prices today, Im piecing together a steel 40 willys pickup and its a bitch with all the rotted parts, GLASS IS MUCH MORE SENSIBLE, have a root beer on me............:cool: I will keep close to this one , its right up my alley ......:cool:

13. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

better a glass Willys than no Willys at all!!

i think it's gonna look KILLER when your done. it already has the right stance.

way to go by NOT using a blown Big Block Chevy. i was starting to think they came stock in Willys or something.

14. JimSibley

JimSibley

I LOVE IT!
    The glass thing get beat to death, but even though I am a metal lover, I say glass cars make great race cars. This thing looks like a good one to me.
    Jim

15. 1bustedbuick

1bustedbuick

Willys glass or metal I wish I could have one. The car looks good and I wouldnt be able to resist the track either and also would prefer glass if its put on its lid. Like the idea of building it to look like a salvage find.
    Ill subscribe to the post so that I can follow your build.

16. Scott, yes, that is the goal. Hopefully it wont be for the first pass, but time seems to slip by faster and faster. Slammed, That is a shame for that is the fate on the original 'hot rod' from the movie. Denise, we talked about the Reunion at Detroit, it is the same weekend as billitproof I believe.

17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Don..your gasser is gay and so is your roadster.

sell them to me;)

bitch'in brutha...bitch'in:)

18. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

Woooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Cool to use the AMC motor. Nice to see something else getting built other than a 32 Ford around here.

Greenblade likes this.
  20. Dirk35

Dirk35

Good looking project. I like the roll cage.

Are those Dick Cepeck puller tires on the Cub Cadet in the background?

21. 49oldscoupe

49oldscoupe

I had been meaning to ask you if this was the funny car your engine came out of?

Attached Files:

EVL401, chryslerfan55 and Greenblade like this.
  22. jimdillon

jimdillon

Who cares what it is made of -that car and the concept is cool-Jim

23. Thats the one! thanks Dave.....

24. Wow, you really studied that picture, I don't know the name, but they were puller tires. I got rid of it a while ago.......

25. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

FUCK Yeah!! hahahaha...

That shit is da Bizzz-omb

26. dixiedog

dixiedog

Go with glass for the Willys - and the AMC motor is keeping it in the same family if you follow the jeep lineage.

AMC motors are great my boy built a bad 304 for a CJ5 and it was scary - told him to pull the motor and give it to me for a Rambler, damn kids never listen

chryslerfan55 and SS327 like this.
  27. Kustom Chief

Kustom Chief

401's are great. I still have the one I used in my high school car. My 70 Javelin SST 360 car. Beat a lot of unsuspecting Chevy's back then...Good luck.

28. ...awesome lookin Willys!!! At least it sits rite with the nose in the air!
    ...nothin wrong w/ usin glass for a race car..good luck w/ the project and keep us posted. The Rambler motor is just the icing on the cake!.

29. Fossil

Fossil

If you take it to Thompson that's a good place for your first passes. I was able to dial-in a lot of things there last year. Unlike the test and tune sessions at the Jersey tracks you can make as many passes as you want there during the reunion. I probably made 25-30 passes even with the rain delays. Did a lot of R&D and tuning.

-Scott

30. Scott, I talked to you last year. I remember your car. Bad ass! Littleman mad me jealous on how many passes he got! You going again this year? Supposed to have floppers and super stocks too, might make track time a little harder to get but could also be worth it! Don