Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1962 Cadillac brake questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pinkcloud, Mar 23, 2016.

1. pinkcloud

pinkcloud
    from Yuma AZ

Hello I'm looking to upgrade my 1962 Cadillac brakes to discs and need some help. I found wilwood makes a conversion kit for a 1960 Cadillac , so does anyone know if the spindles and mountings are the same between 1960 to 1962 ? And also does anyone know any 1960s GM brake boosters will fit ? I've found a wilwood booster and MC for a 1964 Chevy Chevelle .

Sent from my 2PQ93 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

good question. but I have to ask... if your brakes are good and not worn out... you got plenty of brake there to lock up the tires. now on the other hand if they hardly stop the car i'd check that dual master cylinder. that was an issue i had with my 63 cad.

Moondog13 likes this.
  3. pinkcloud

pinkcloud
    from Yuma AZ

I'm looking for a more reliable brake setup.. I rebuilt the whole drum brake setup and am still not satisfied with stopping power. I'm looking to upgrade for safety reasons as well

4. the violator

the violator

CaddyDaddy.com has complete disc conversion kits for your 62. I used their 56 kit and I'm happy with the results.

5. Scarebird has the brackets and I just looked, complete kits. Drop him an email and see what it consists of. For a master and booster, I'd look at a '71-ish combo, probably go in with a minimal hassle.

6. pinkcloud

pinkcloud
    from Yuma AZ

Thanks guys I've found multiple conversion kits but nothing in wilwood and looking on caddydaddy and seeing how 1960 is separated from the 60s 50-60s kit I'm assuming it's a different mount

7. pinkcloud

pinkcloud
    from Yuma AZ

I guess what I'm asking is if there's any change between a 1960 spindle and a 1962 spindle

8. the violator

the violator

FYI some of the calipers available will not work if you are planning on using stock rims, and stock hubcaps only work on cadillac rims.

9. pinkcloud

pinkcloud
    from Yuma AZ

Ya I know this . I found bolt on kits and a big brake kit with a booster and MC but I would have to get new rims

10. Completely different I'm afraid.....

11. '69 & '70 wheels should be good, possibly also newer. Still a question if you want to use the OG wheel covers.

12. pinkcloud

pinkcloud
    from Yuma AZ

Yes im looking to use the original hubcaps if not then I'll just go with the big brake kit

13. southerncad

southerncad

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  14. KCsledz

KCsledz

Get in touch with Ryno. He just did his 62 brake conversion. Used parts of a kit and other stuff from the local parts store.

15. I was looking into this recently.

www.classicdiscbrakes.com

They sell bolt on kits that will work with EXISTING stock wheels for every year Caddy except '56. They actually answer the phone right away and answer any questions, and are knowledgable. (Rare these days). 1-888-376-0771. I spoke to Bob. I will always deal with someone who's willing to answer the phone!

I use a dual pot master from a '67 Cad (sorta readily available), you just need to add a few washers between the firewall for the pin to line up properly. A valve if you go with discs.

Myself, I prefer drum brakes, and found once the shoes have worn in a bit the braking improves 100%, so that's what I use on my '60 Cad. Lots of people on other forums say that the big Cad drums stop their cars faster than the discs. Can't say for sure either way, some people say adding mustard to baked beans keeps you from farting. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469636971.802267.jpg

16. 010175

from poway,ca

ABS Power Brakes have a kit that you can use stock rims on. Used it on a 61 caddy and it will throw you thru the windshield. In Orange, Ca. and been in business for a while.