Register now to get rid of these ads!

Halibrand rear

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jason147, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Jason147

Jason147

Posted about year ago with "clicking" noise in my rear. Can't seem to reply on that post so starting new. That issue was fixed by now I question my rear-end. It's a halibrand for sure. Paperwork from build says a Champ was installed. How do I know that it's a Champ though? Is it a spool? Limited slip? One wheel peel? Do they both lock up or only the bald one? :)
    Long story short, just trying to learn about this rear-end without tearing her apart. Having overheating issues so heads off right now so don't want to get over my head. Thanks for all the help!!

2. Jason147

Jason147

Axle pics

Attached Files:

3. Jason147

Jason147

11 bolts on aluminum and 10 on red axle housing. I don't know the name of the parts.

4. uncle buck

uncle buck

It does look like a champ with adapters for the v-8 axle tubes

5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I'm on my way out the door but, you have a Halibrand Champ.
    What you are wanting to know is what kind of differential it has (I think).
    Look on the build sheet for something like 'Diamond trac' or 'gold track' or locker.
    If you don't have any luck there, take the rear cover off and slide out one of the change gears. With the rear jacked up turn one of the rear wheels. If the other one turns in the opposite direction, you have an open differential. (Very Rare)
    If they both turn the same way, it is some sort of limited slip. Have an assistant hold one rear tire while you turn the other. If you feel or hear it click it is probably a locker. If the assistant can't hold the tire it is likely a spool. If he can hold it, chances are its is some sort of 'Track'.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It could possibly have helical cut spur gears, for a quieter operation. They will make a "click noise" if not shimmed tight enough. As Bruce mentioned, pull the rear cover and look at the gears.

7. Jason147

Jason147

Perfect. I will check it out. I know passenger tire is balder. Going in reverse to back in garage both will spin as its hard not to since it's slick. I will pull cover and check like you said. Will report back. Thank you.

8. Jason147

Jason147

9. Jason147

Jason147

Granted I didn't pull a gear yet.

10. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

You have a locker in your rear end. The clicking is normal. Gary

11. Jason147

Jason147

So I do have a locker? Would both spin at all times if other does? Is it good that I have a locker? Downside of it? Thank you!

12. tltony

tltony
    from El Cajon

The good thing is that it clicks, the bad thing is that it clicks. If it is a locker it should work fine on the street or any where else, but it will click around corners low/no load.

13. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

As I recall, you stated that Magoo built the car. He used a lot of Champ rear ends (which is what you have) and used a Jaguar differential in some of them and a locker in others. You video indicates a locker and as stated, they click and really can be a pain for everyday driving. Drive for a spell and if it doesn't bother you. Keep driving. Changing to a differential in your set up can be expensive. Ron Rear Ends can fix it for you and he is in Mission Hills, CA.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  14. Lockers can be very annoying - sometimes they'll pop and make all sorts of funny noises when they aren't under load. I'd prefer to have a DPI Gold-Trac or some other sort of diff . . . or even an open diff.

15. Jason147

Jason147

Great! Thanks for the info!!

16. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

That was your dads car right? Was wondering how you made out ,was watching your thread .

17. Jason147

Jason147

Yes my grandfather had a few cars. He had Magoo build him his dream car. After he passed, my dad received this one as my aunt and uncle received the others. My dad passed last year and left me the title. Now my goal is to one day get it back to the shape it was in when Magoo built it. 3rd generation owner.

kidcampbell71 and harpo1313 like this.
  18. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last time we were talking about this rear there was a "clicking". What was the issue?

Also, what drew you to this rear again? Is it just that the pass side tire has more wear or is there an issue with the drivability of the car? How may miles have you put on the car in the period of time you have had it?

If you can give us enough info, we'll get it, I promise.

-Abone.

19. Jason147

Jason147

Yes, thanks for remembering. The clicking was actually the u-joint. Sound was resonating from tire area. I would have never guessed. This new post is just to learn about what I have. Curious about the diff and parts that are in that thing. I hear so many terms, spools, lockers, trumpets and so on. I learned that mine is a locker but still trying to understand things that mine might have. Pinion gear, etc.

20. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I have a Winters QC. in my car. It has a Winters track diff. If you jack it up and turn one wheel the other turns backwards. The Diff. has a gear system to lock up when torque applied. So the turn one wheel test doesn't always tell you it is an open diff.

21. Jason147

Jason147

Hmm.. so does that mean there is a chance mines not a locker?

22. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

What does it do when you spin the wheels on jack stands?

23. Jason147

Jason147

I posted a video of it. Pretty sure I was told it's a locker.

24. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Yes, you are correct. I was in a hurry and got carried away. The Winters Track and others will rotate in opposite directions unless under power. Some of the Dan Press Gold Tracks have preload built into them. They are reffered to as half tight or full tight. I believe these will rotate in the same direction when turning one tire. I don't have one here to check right now but that is what my memory tells me.

Somebody should write a book about these things!

Jason147 likes this.
  25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

LOL..

26. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The Winters track is very smooth on the street.

27. sr

sr
    from Monterey

The lockers are sensitive to tire stagger. If one tire is inflated and is taller than the other, they will try to lock all the time. Check your tire size. It can be very bothersome. With your worn out tires, it could be an issue. OOps i just saw how old this post was!