Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 Chevy bel air 4 door. Stock lowered, super low budget

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by _justakid_, Sep 22, 2015.

1. _justakid_

_justakid_

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448957720.050272.jpg I've decided to leave it as-is. Other than lowering the front a few inches. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448957865.154386.jpg
    LED tail lights I picked up at the lone star round up a year or two ago, they're way brighter for all those TEXTERS!!! Lol, hopefully I'm more visible.

JeffCTN likes this.
  2. _justakid_

_justakid_

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448957998.914934.jpg
    The 350 is a 4 bolt main, bored .040 over. Nothing fancy. Edelbrock 600 carb and performer rpm. Very basic, typical setup. Still needs some fiddling with and re-wiring some wires better. Also, the starter just went out on me. The gear spins but doesn't engage the flywheel. It's gonna be a bitch to swap cause the exhaust runs right under it

53_Fez likes this.
  3. dan31

dan31

Nice ride, those of us that grew up only looking at hot rods ,street rods can only think in terms of two door cars,BUT this is a mild custom so four doors 54 is fine. Looks good. P.S. don't forget to heat shield that new starter.

4. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Sounds like just a solenoid on that starter. Fine looking car.

5. 53_Fez

53_Fez
    from Las Vegas

Have you considered just shaving the door handles like the other green 4 door that was posted on this thread? In my opinion, it was hard to tell it was even a 4 door.

And go with a mini starter if you have clearance issues.

6. JeffCTN

JeffCTN

7. _justakid_

_justakid_

Very nice. Thanks for the suggestion, I will in fact make a heat shield for the starter. I'm pretty sure the exhaust running right next to it is what made it go bad

8. _justakid_

_justakid_

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448993257.994553.jpg this car is somewhat how I'd like to do mine. I love the shaved handles and the stock chrome trim, as well as the lake pipes. It belongs to a guy named mike in southern California

9. raymay

raymay

Like many others have said, you got yourself a nice ride as is. There are a lot of options in keeping it as a 4 door cruiser.
    If you are determined to make it a 2door, a donor vehicle or parts should be the first thing on your shopping list. It can be done but is not always as easy as it may sound.
    I am currently doing a 2dr conversion on a mid 60's Malibu Wagon. I cut up an ElCamino to get the longer doors, B-pillar and quarter sections I needed. The other design changes will be similar to the TriFive Nomads with the slider side windows and 2 piece tailgate assembly.
    Good luck and whatever you choose, have fun with your build.

nomad18.JPG IMG_4444.JPG

Nailhead A-V8 and Squablow like this.
  10. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your "EL-WAGON" is going to be really neat, plus very unique. Good luck.

11. Somebody

Somebody

I've had tons of cars, 2dr and 4dr and never enjoyed any of them any more or less based on how many doors.

hillbilly and JeffCTN like this.
  12. _justakid_

_justakid_

[​IMG] this is how it now sits, at work

Couped_Up likes this.
  13. _justakid_

_justakid_

14. _justakid_

_justakid_

15. Colt54chevy

Colt54chevy
    from Michigan

Cool ride! Leave it as is.

lawman likes this.
  16. mitchchisholm13

mitchchisholm13
    from Queenstown

If you have a look at my thread I've done a 2 door conversion. And chop. It's really not at hard as people make it out to be. As long as you can cut weld and measure you'll be fine[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

_justakid_ likes this.
  17. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

That, my friend is a nice looking cruiser! You can make all kinds of changes to it, but why? I think too many people make changes on cars just to make changes... and make the car look stupid. You've got a sweet ride. Don't try to make it something that it isn't!

504640 likes this.
  18. _justakid_

_justakid_

19. _justakid_

_justakid_

[​IMG] earlier today I decided to install the front bumper on the rear. I took a little bit off the bend in the middle, I dig it. And I put a 56 front bumper I had laying around. Still needs tweaking. Need to get it a little more tucked in. [​IMG]

20. _justakid_

_justakid_

[​IMG]
    Need to bring it in a little too. I could be wrong but do people usually flip these upside down and install them in the rear? [​IMG] also thought this was a cool idea, cut semi circles on the bottom for exhaust ports. I think I'm going to do it.

21. Tyler Brewer

Tyler Brewer

22. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

As others have stated it looks pretty damn nice as it is. You have the best of both worlds: mild custom as well as drive ability and practicality.

23. _justakid_

_justakid_

I know this is pretty random but I
    Bought this bottle of Bleche white when I was a kid because it said "white walls" and I promised myself I'd get an old car with white walls when I was older. About a year ago I found the bottle in my moms garage and i remembered what I was saving it for. Seems silly but I only posted this because I heard that it's no longer being made in the original formula? And that the company got bought out or something. Don't know but this thing cleans white walls like nobody's business

504640 likes this.
  24. _justakid_

_justakid_

25. Here's a couple pics of my brothers

Attached Files:

_justakid_ likes this.
  26. Colt54chevy

Colt54chevy
    from Michigan

Man I'm really liking that exhaust exit with the half circles in the bumper!

27. 'Mo

'Mo

Duane Steck's "Moonglow" Chevy had its rear bumper lowered, and for a brief time ran the pipes through the bumper.
    I don't know why this was changed, but it was also a nice look. (Picture in progress.)

[​IMG]

_justakid_ likes this.
  28. _justakid_

_justakid_

29. _justakid_

_justakid_

So I was having a ground issue with my front driving/turn signal lights, one was brighter than the other. Even after cleaning the ground and changing the bulb. So instead of fiddling with that more, I decided to make an LED driving light with the stock buckets. [​IMG]
    I cut the bulge where the old bulb went in and removed the plastic cover from the LED.
    [​IMG]
    Trim and file [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some silicone to seal it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] mock-up. I like it. Still not done

30. _justakid_

_justakid_

[​IMG]

I fucked up, the LEDs are red. Lol. I thought they would be white under the red plastic.