Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Body Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Dad has used the camper jacks with a couple oak 2"x10" planks in between on many old car bodies. I think he's got one up on jacks now.

2. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of good ideas. I used cheap scaffolding and come alongs when lifting the body of my 34 coupe. Just me and the wife. Rolled the chassis out from under it and put in saw horses.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

made from conduit, works well
    [​IMG]

4. image.jpeg

5. I tried that, blew the seals right out of the hoist. Then I looked up the weight of the Mill ~ 3350 lbs. LOL

6. Hgdoo

Hgdoo

Insulation? What's this foreign material you speak of, plenty toasty right now
    not so much come October.....

7. cretin

cretin

Geez! Yours is way heavier then mine! Mine is about 1700 lbs., and the lathe about 100 lbs. less.

8. Mudgy

Mudgy

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/K088

I was just looking into this.... the link is for an Australian supplier, but I'd bet this kind of thing is available in the USA, or something like it. I'm off to check one out, take photos etc... as I have 100mm X 100mm X6mm SHS here that was my chassis jig, also there's a chunky I beam at work needs a home. Gonna do my sums, and see if I can make one cheaper. Thanks for the ideas. If I make one, I'll post it here. Won't be for a while, though.

9. indyjps

indyjps

Floor jack, concrete blocks, 4x4 ( I actually use steel pallet racking cross braces)

buy new blocks, use structural blocks and use them in the correct orientation (like a building)

I've lifted 60's car bodies multiple times to get on and off rotisserie by myself, 2 floor jack help.

10. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Here are photos of a couple methods being employed together. You can see an engine hoist for lifting and a come along for stabilizing. The pipes suspended from the ceiling are tied in to trusses in the attic. In this case, the engine hoist is lifting on a bean that was installed to stiffen the body. This car had a rotten sill and was being lifted to repair the sill in place. If the body was coming all the way off, camper jacks would be used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Moving on, what is really interesting is putting the body back on the curved '32 platform...you drop it on and everything looks terrible...then you move it microscopically and you find the right place, and CLICK it drops right into its home looking fine.

Just Gary likes this.
  13. cavman

cavman

I've used a pair of modified camper jacks for everything from my '53 chev to heavy early 70s stuff. They allow you to roll the chassis out from under it easily. Centered on the door handle. 100_1757.JPG 100_1758.JPG

Barn Find likes this.
  14. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a pretty poor antique pic from clymer's "early v-8 ford service manual." Scan0022.jpg