Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Junkyard Therapy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38Chevy454, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Had the day off work today. I needed a part for my OT Expedition. So went to the local you-pull-it junkyard. Found not only what I needed for the Expy, but also walked around checking stuff out like I always do. On the lookout for specialty fasteners or cool factory items that can be used on hot rods. I did find and pulled an 85 S-10 T-5 trans. Mechanical speedo, NWC and from a 4 cyl, but chasing the numbers it has the 3.78 first gear. So a little better than the 4.03 versions. These are getting hard to find, so worth the time and cost to pull it and take it home. Past trips have sourced other parts for use on my 52 GMC pickup, my 49 Ford COE, and many other projects over the years. I have a stash of parts just waiting for some future projects, get them when you find 'em. Sure seems to be getting tougher to find the better donor vehicles though, at least for hot rod parts.

However, the main point here is that I have been missing getting to the junkyard for about 6 months. I always have fun there, usually find stuff I can use, and it is always a good way to spend half the day. My mental improvement is worth it. Junkyard therapy............

Hnstray, kiwijeff, GeezersP15 and 3 others like this.
  2. My brother and I were at French Lake last weekend, FUN. Sometimes I think it's better than a car show with all the power parking and etc. It's just peaceful.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I love to walk the yards on my noon hours. Brings me back to when dad would take me out most Saturday mornings when I was in grade school. Even if I don't find anything, its time well spent.

4. French Lake & Windy Hills,...pure heaven

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

That's hamber "396skip" 's place. Heard lots about it.

6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Our local you pull it yard started charging a $1 cover charge to get past the front desk. The first time they asked for the dollar I thought this is bullshit but I guess its worth it to have a place to get some junk therapy and its not like I go out there everyday.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have not been for a while. but, sometimes go to local Pick'n'Pull on 1/2 off day for members. usually check their web site to see if anything Cool shows up. rarely find anything older than late 80's now.

8. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469549582.600678.jpg

This broke my heart last year. Anyone in LA will understand. They had a live bull and chickens, a novel could be written about that place. I lived in LA for 10 years and this was my hang out.

9. I used to stop at a local family run yard. We were friendly enough, that I could walk in to the yard with my tool box, and just wave at one of them through their office window. After I was done, some guys would get a chuckle with the offer/counter-offering that would go on between me and the older uncle(owner). Sadly, he passed, then the nephew did too(in his forties). Yard is gone. But it was relaxing to walk, and look, and speculate what I could find and use next.

10. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

We need photos, so those of us at the computer can get some therapy.
    [​IMG]

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if the local junk yards looked like this I would go every week.... those cars would all be picked clean in a couple weeks around here

[​IMG]

12. hallrods

hallrods

13. No kidding, it is funny how fast a good donor car is dismantled and down to the bare body shell.

Used to love the half-price days when I lived in CA. Seems that me and my friend SamIyam were the only gringos in the place. The Mexican radio station would even do live broadcast from the parking lot! I joked that half-price day was like a Mexican holiday :confused: :D

I think all of the you-pull-it yards have the entrance fee. It's $2 here, I guess they can get it, and it probably covers some of the small back-pocket items that go out the door.

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Waiting on the temps to cool down a bit so that I can go get some junkyard therapy myself!

15. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Hallrods.........
    PLEASE tell me where that 59 ford in the bus is!!!
    And is it for sale!?!?!?!
    That's my dream car right there!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

County line auto wrecking in Keil Wisconsin. Karl is a super nice guy. If you go be sure to bring some ones he is super cheap but it's plus tax.

17. RaginPin3apple3 passed on this one recently, it was $2200 and he thought it was too much. he might pass the info on if you ask him. He wants a chevy. Its in his "search for a chevy" thread. It looks bitchin' to me! I love 59 Fords.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469577945.124891.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vintage Tease

I haven't stepped in a yard for years...Ontario and all provinces east are very tuff on metal (and I don't really need anything)...however from Manitoba to BC things hang around a little longer and are worthy of a visit as some yards seem to be a step back in time and some are online these days...There are some Hambers in the prairies that have posted some of the tin that can be found there. Another good thing is your dollar is strong here right now.
    Pics below are not that old but most are a few years ago...

55custom_out-to-pasture.jpg

55custom_out to pasture2.jpg

img28.jpg

http://driving.ca/chevrolet/auto-ne...ected-classics-in-alberta-to-be-auctioned-off

mike pearson sample images025.JPG

http://adventuresinmikeslife.blogspot.ca/2013_08_09_archive.html

Classic-Cars12a.jpg
    http://re-actor.net/uploads/posts/2015-07/1437375473_31.jpeg
    (man these are tuff)

9eb6aead8a1fe48d7d4e0aa1b8834465.jpg

Hnstray likes this.