Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gas Station give aways & noveltys from the past

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 23, 2016.

1. IMG_20160628_054713825_HDR.jpg
    Matches, marbles. Someone had a a lit cigarette at all times. A bell rang when you ran over the hose.
    This is a pack of Winston cigs before the Surgeon General's warning. When they were good for ya.

2. A few items from my collection. The Sunoco transistor radio shaped like the Wayne 511 blend pump is one of my favorites. The wooden sticks from various companies are actually used to measure the fuel level in Model T and other early car's gasoline tanks. The Red Head coupons and carry case is something I picked up at Heshey many years ago. I don't know much about them! The Sunoco road maps were always available free from the display rack. The ESSO matches were a give-away from a local station. I love the safety message "Hold down your speed and hold on to your life". Sorry that a couple of the pics are on their side.

Jim

G1.jpg G2.jpg G3.jpg G4.jpg G5.jpg G6.jpg G7.jpg

3. okay....here's an oldie....from back when people wrote letters....and of course my job after the paper route was at the locale Enco......man I got into so much trouble from my dad before I got the job....just hung around there for like - for ever....all ways late back home...

HOTRODPRIMER and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  4. wait.....

Attached Files:

5. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

My mother went to work for Knox petroleum right out of Enid Buisness College. She was pretty loyal to the brand till it ceased to exist. Quit to raise a family.
    We had a couple sets of those glasses at the house.

6. image.jpeg Shell gasoline station steak knife promotion in the 1960's, the credit cars slip is from a guy in California but I gave away the same knives at the shell I worked at in Reading, Massachusetts.

7. My dad got a lot of my Christmas toys at gas stations in the 60s. here's one from 1961. Ron... 002.jpg 070.jpg 20160113_133353_001.jpg

8. Muttley

Muttley

I just scored a NOS pack of those on ebay a couple of months ago, it also came with some iron-on's for T-shirts.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Muttley

Muttley

[​IMG]

10. Muttley

Muttley

I remember those Blue Chip Stamps they gave out in the mid '70's, my Mother used them to get me a View-Master set that I used to play with all the time.

[​IMG]

11. Muttley

Muttley

You're just having a Joseph Hazelwood flashback. :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Not so sure that this was a shell give away , but was a failed attempt anyway !!!!
    Shell had these skeleton pocket watches made and filled with their oil to show
    that their oil was good enough to run a watch in !!! It was a failed project and the
    watches were sold off.
    Here is one of them watches ,on the reverse side on the watch gear ,shell is printed on ,and the framework say's special !!!
    008.JPG 007.JPG

13. Schweden roadtrip 2015 1143.JPG

Danny, nice thread, lot's of cool stuff here.

this is my little head shakin' Tiger, he's way too cute to being put into the tank. He travels with me on the hat rack in my car.....

HOTRODPRIMER and C. John Stutzer like this.
  14. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

C'mon now, that was the Exxon Valdez. You do get points for a 90's reference though. Or was that 80's? Too long ago.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. here's an early coloring book of mine....

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      306 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      247.6 KB
      Views:
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. thought this was cool....last one 003.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had 33 of the amber drinking glasses that had grape clusters on the outside of them that some gas station gave away in the mid 60's on the day I got married in 1969. We also got six sets of glasses including a plastic set when we got married as gifts. A year later my wife had broken all of the glass glasses and all but two of the plastic ones. We have probably gone though 400 glasses in the past 47 years and i maybe broke 3 of them.
    I really liked those gas station glasses too as they didn't slip out of your hand.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Hellfish

Hellfish

Every year since 1964 Hess has sold toy trucks at Christmas time.
    [​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER and stillrunners like this.
  20. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool stuff here. Been a few of these posted already - stations in the great white north that handed out ice scrapers!

0703161200_HDR2.jpg

The town is next to a lake so you could get your oil, tires, and live bait too. One-stop shopping! :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. We have an Ortonville Michigan too. One flashing red light at the 3-way intersection. Def small town.

How cool is that!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

23. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

This matchbook came from the same station that used this pickup bed on a service truck. The service truck was a '37 REO Speed Delivery. It is now on Dad's Speed Wagon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Hellfish

Hellfish

Weird. My post from yesterday disappeared.

Every year since 1963 Hess has released a new truck that you can only buy at Hess stations around Christmas time.

[​IMG]

25. HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

More Blakely stuff. Found yesterday in a big bowl of matches at a small antique shop.

8c008da5-f7c4-41d1-bb97-55342aa389d4.jpg f5dcdeaa-392a-4d51-8adb-30561a4bb83d.jpg 3e1b845a-860a-43f5-a4f6-9feb0db31f34.jpg 735c3711-504a-48f4-baea-8a762b45d24f.jpg 99fb8e01-6093-4d44-bd66-cb6482e117bf.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Jeff34

Jeff34

Growing up, we had a full set of this same flatware. It was moved to the trailer for camping later on. I sold the trailer to my cousin and sent the flatware with it...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Those glasses and flatwear remind of how tough the 70s were for a lot of Americans (maybe not relative to starving folks on the other side of the world but...)

Growing up I don't remember too many gas station acouterments but we did have a full set of Welch's grape jelly "tumblers". Cheese-whiz spread containers made for comically small Orange Juice glasses. Lottsa powdered milk, margarine and other fake foods and substitutes. We did real well compared to some but the Embargo, gas and dollar shocks and subsequent inflation really hit people hard.

29. 53 ford

53 ford

Sparky

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. rc57

rc57

A friend gave me these shadow boxes years back, said they were a promotion from Shell. Haven't seen him in at least 10 yrs. so I can't elaborate on the promo. I also remember Shell giving away Hot Wheels (the original red-lines) and me trying to win the battle with mom to get one every time. Wish I had those back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.